The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick disable button

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004    Post subject: Quick disable button Reply with quote

Is there anyway to place a quick access button where the Adblock currently is in the bottom right. I would like to be able to temporaly disable adblock for pages with poor naming of important images I want to see. Right now I have to go all the way to the tools menu... and go in and change it, then do the same to reenable ad block.

For instance, most pages use */banner/* for ad banners, but sometimes they use this for non ads. I would like to be able to disable adblock for a moment to see the image, then reenable it to continue surfing.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Ctrl+Shift+B to enable/disable blocking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

shure it is possible to press the shortcut's to en- or disable. But "Guest" is not the only one, who is missing a bottom.

Very often you are just surf with the mouse an to disable or enable the Adblock you have to leave the mouse and take both hands to toggle and go back to your mouse.

I donīt know why it isn't there.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
The status-element currently has one action attached: click -> open "List All Blockable Elements". With respect to UI-elements, anything non-editable should not respond differently to left / right-clicks. Try popping an "open" dialog, and Right-clicking "cancel".
I realize several status-elements break this norm, allowing right-clicks for variant functionality. These are unanchored elements (floating mid-screen) with relatively small regions; and the word for what's happening to them is overloading.
In brief, UI-elements that aren't editable carry an expectation of immediate action. Such actions (eg. pressing "OK") are generally not undo-able, which means the user wants to be certain his action is the intended one. Overloading presents the possibility of a "wrong click", requiring additional problematic consideration, even for normal clicks. This all happens very quickly, as synapses make connections in parallel, but the lack of certitude it effects in the end is a detriment to the experience.
Thankfully, there's a number of ways to add functionality without overloading. In fact, one of those ways has already been implemented -- see above.

"Guest" is not the only one, who is missing a bottom.
(ps: I hope you find your "bottom" :P)
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004    Post subject: why not a checkbox? Reply with quote

Hello Rue,

I understand overloading issue.
but why cant there be a checkbox or a button in "blockable Items" window?
now that is not that bad is it?

anyway, thanks for this extension it is superb.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004    Post subject: overlay Reply with quote

I also posted a question in "Bug: right click Adblock in status bar to disable broken" before I saw this. But I don't quite follow the explanation given. It is my normal expectation as a Windows and Linux user that clicking on something gives a default action and right-clicking brings up an alternate menu. The Adblock link in the status bar doesn't seem any different that something like Winamp or a virus scan icon in the system tray that opens on click or presents a menu on right-click. I don't see how you are comparing that to an Ok button.
John Parsons

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rue:
Of the two icons in my status bar: one (The security icon) brings up the same tabbed dialog for both R & L clicks and the other (The online status icon) has an action for the L click (Go Offline) and a menu of options for the R click.
Can I suggest that to be consistent with adblock L clicking should disable/enable and R click should bring up a dialog or menu of options?
John

PS It's just struck me that the reason for the difference between the security icon and the online status icon is that no action is possible for the user regarding security - information only is available. This isn't the case with online status or adblock.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: