The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

** UNINSTALL "Autoupdater" IMMEDIATELY **

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005    Post subject: ** UNINSTALL "Autoupdater" IMMEDIATELY ** Reply with quote

The "Adblock Filterset.G Autoupdater" has killed Filterset.G.

Everyone who downloaded this has to remove it from their system immediately if Filterset.G is ever going to come back. The extension generates a huge number of connections, which will keep my geocities site offline permanently (think of it as a constant Slashdotting on an extremely weak server).

The extension's author never contacted me, so he's got a lot of explaining to do.

Getting new hosting space isn't the issue - I would have to have a redirect at the old site, anyway.

Last edited by G on Mon Jun 20, 2005; edited 2 times in total
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering why your Geocities account was bombed out for so long.

Now we know.
kemwo

You are completely right G, but I think most people who use this updater don't even know about this problem.

And there is no way to cantact the autor of this code. On the extension home page is no email adress and the comments function has a malfunction.

I personally dont like the idea with this updater. It makes people stop using their brain.

Best regards.
G

There was a link with his email address, but there's not much he can do now.

We can only hope that it was the people who are most knowledgeable and spend the most time on Adblock forums that they will get the message. That's unlikely, of course, so this may be the end.
hugoheden

kemwo wrote:

And there is no way to cantact the autor of this code. On the extension home page is no email adress and the comments function has a malfunction.

Hmm, I just sent him an email an hour ago -- I hadn't realized that everybody was already on to this .. And now the extension is gone from addons.mozilla.org (?)

Anyway, I do hope the author is aware of the problem.

H
kemwo

The simpliest reason would be to release a new version of this updater witch grabs the list from another server.

People would update and I could finally heve my new filterset.

I'm sure this version will spread out even it is not available on the extension page.

I've found his email adress, he will get message from me. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by kemwo on Mon Jun 20, 2005; edited 1 time in total
bene

Did the author include an extension update URL in the extension? IE, could a "broken" version of the extension be created, posted as a newer version, thereby affecting most of the people who have it in place?

AdBlock Plus Forums here.

Why can't you just host your files on another site? Eventually, everyone will find out about the new site and will start going there. Hosting on geocities was never a really good idea anyway. It may be for the best.

We can't live without filterset.g Exclamation
netmask

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005    Post subject: Arrgghhhh! And today was the day I was going to G Reply with quote

Damn! I've been playing with different ad blockers and was going to fire up Adblock with filterset.g today.

Bad timing. Really bad timing.

Is there another site? Can anyone help a brother out?

Thanks.

michael.kennyONgmail.com
Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005    Post subject: Re: Arrgghhhh! And today was the day I was going to G Reply with quote

netmask wrote:
Damn! I've been playing with different ad blockers and was going to fire up Adblock with filterset.g today.
Bad timing. Really bad timing.
Is there another site? Can anyone help a brother out?
Oh, oh, the Filterset.G that I have just stopped working! Wait a minute, no it didn't, it still works just as well as it did four days ago when I installed it. Smile
G, would you be willing to post filter set 2005-06-15a.txt to this forum until until the current problem gets sorted out. That might help out people like netmask who don't have a copy.
G

I've posted the most recent version along with documentation at:
http://www.geocities.com/anonymous092/adblock/
IceDogg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever need more hosting let me know. I don't know how well it will hold up either (never tested) but it's with a good company. And I don't really use it for anything except hosting pictures I post in forums and such( like sigs, avatars and screenshots). Just trying to help, will not be bothered if you'd rather not.. I understand.
mcm_ham

bene wrote:
Did the author include an extension update URL in the extension? IE, could a "broken" version of the extension be created, posted as a newer version, thereby affecting most of the people who have it in place?

I reckon that's the best solution, if he didn't put in an update URL then Firefox checks the UMO site for an update so you could upload it there.

I suggest hosting the latest filterset on the UMO site itself so that we don't have this problem. But we will have to get their permission first.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/adblock_filterset.g_autoupdater/

Last edited by mcm_ham on Wed Jun 22, 2005; edited 6 times in total
G

Does anyone know how hosts like GoDaddy deal with a high number of connections?
B-Cuz

Ah, now I see why you don't want to have the text file for autoupdate from Adblock+.

Sorry to see all this is happening to you - hope your site's able to come back soon...
thinkpad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005    Post subject: G, try this host. Reply with quote

http://www.ahost4free.com/moreinfo.php

They offer 110MB of space and 5GB of bandwidth.
mcm_ham

The problem is the number of simultaneous connections allowed. Geocities offer a 3gig per month download limit and which wouldn't cause a problem with this extension as that's about 120 million checks per month allowed. Unfortunately nearly no hosting site publishes what the max simultaneous connections are.
G

ahost4free is ad-supported, which isn't what I'm looking for.
thinkpad

What about your ISP G? Do they offer webspace?
G

No.
mcm_ham

You can do searches for free webservers on sites like:
http://www.freewebspace.net/search/power.shtml

This host has proved a very good free web hosting site for me, will have to ask in the forums what the max connections are:
http://sitesled.com/

Another site to make queries on other than the UMO site is the mozdev site:
http://mozdev.org/
thinkpad

Another good free host list is: http://www.free-webhosts.com/
G

Just got off the phone with GoDaddy; max connections on the economy package is 50. How does that sound (keep in mind that my entire site is just a handful of text files and will have a single html index)?
IceDogg

ok, I'll take that as a no.
mcm_ham

Is this for the extension to sync with (will be checking every 2-3 days) so you main site is left intact or are you planning to move your main site over and if so are happy to have the extension sync with it?

I'll check to see what some other sites are like. People can report here what the max connection is like on some other free hosting sites.
Zachariah

I have been using this host (as a test) since 2/27/05 and am quite happy with them:

iHostFree - http://www.ihostfree.com/
250 MB space
10,000 MB Bandwidth
Unlimited E-mail Accounts

(you'd just have to pay for domain registration -- through them or through a separate registrar)

(I found out about them from http://digg.com/deals/True_Free_hosting._From_www.iHostFree.com)

The hosting space I pay for (since 2000), however, is from "Web HSP - Premier Web Hosting Solutions", and they have some very inexpensive hosting options.

Monthly Pay: $9.95/mo.
[or (Annual Pay: $6.95/mo) or (24 Month Pay: $5.95/mo.)]
500 MB Disk Space
10 GB Bandwidth
5 Subdomains
10 Parked Domains
10 POP/IMAP Accounts
User Interface: cPanel
http://www.webhsp.com/shared-web-hosting/

(`, I keep paying for Web HSP because I am satisfied with them)

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

Last edited by Zachariah on Tue Jun 21, 2005; edited 1 time in total
G

This is for the official site. If you want to make an extension that syncs, you have to provide a mirror, unless I decide otherwise (my resistance at present should be understandable). Perhaps Coral CDN can be employed.
mcm_ham

The other thing to consider if you are looking at hosting a new central site is to use a free dns server. It allows you to change your host without changing the site name you've given to people. It will also mean we can try setting the dns name used for the auto-update to the main site and if it doesn't work then just redirect it else where.

http://www.dyndns.org/

Edit

G wrote:
This is for the official site. If you want to make an extension that syncs, you have to provide a mirror, unless I decide otherwise (my resistance at present should be understandable). Perhaps Coral CDN can be employed.

Agreed, I certainly wasn't suggesting it without some way of pulling away the requests if it doesn't work hence the use of DNS servers. Corel CDN looks really interesting good find, don't know how it's meant to work. Does it just start caching your site on it's own servers after requests are made through the service?
IceDogg

Here is a mirror for G's filterset.. thanks for this list and I'm only doing this to show my appreciation. If you don't want me to do this G just let me know, I will remove it, if requested by you.

http://www.icedogshouse.com/gsfilterset/
G

Thanks, IceDogg, but my temporary solution should suffice.
mcm_ham

Are you happy with me pointing a filterset.g updater type extension to your mirror Icedogg as I'm mostly at uni and there are quite a few times I'm too busy to keep a mirror up to date. And any software solution to do it automatically won't help me since I'll probably have problems running them on the uni computers.
IceDogg

sry, mirror taken down per request.
mcm_ham

Ok thanks anyway.

G, if the site you have setup doesn't have it's own IP address then you can use the WebHop service on the site I linked which simply redirects to another URL. Use the cloaking option if you don't want users to know what the sites actual URL is. Although using it when cloaked causes a popup ad, which Firefox blocks.

I have two ideas for killing this Adblock updater:

1) put on your original webspace a huge "filterlist" (e.g. the GPL, ist should be large enough to disable adblock...)

2) make new random names (e.g. 2005-JUNE-15a-XanFg.txt), you can also make it more difficult by shortening the month randomly (e.g. SEPT and then DEZ)

This should make it more difficult for the updater, but a real person can easily recognize it.
G

The problem is that the site is completely out. If I can get it back, I'll post a filterset with the entries: an asterisk, which will certainly grab their attention, and a statement telling them to uninstall the autosync extension. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to pay geocities for a service upgrade to get the site back.
G

mcm - Give me a few days to sort things out.
Reid Rankin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005    Post subject: Extension Fixed Reply with quote

I am the author of the autoupdate extension. I know what you are thinking, "This is the guy that killed filterset.g!" but I really don't see what all the hype is about. As I have already told Pierce, the only thing that he needs to do is rename his changelog file from changelog.txt to something different, and assuming that geocities does not count 404 error pages against your monthly badwidth, the site will pop back up at the beginning of next month.

However, I do realize this is a problem. I am sorry for killing Filterset.G for about 10 days, but I have offered to pay for Geocities Plus service for the rest of the month to fix this problem. I admit that I was stupid to not contact the author first, and release an extension without proper error-checking code. Still, I have rewritten the extension, and submitted it to Pierce for approval this time. It includes many new features, including the ability to enter user defined, persistent filters, and a remote disable feature usable in just the kind of situation the last extension caused. The update rate has been lowered from once every 30 minutes (I anticipated a few hundred users at most, not 1500) to once every week, and the user is able to control all aspects of the extension's functionality through a handy options panel (thank you XULPlanet!).

Anyhow, I just wanted to clear things up, and provide a bit more information for everyone. I am not hiding, my email WAS in the extension (right click, go to view home page) and I retracted my extension as soon as I noticed it had screwed up.
G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bandwidth issue. The problem is that there are a huge number of requests for pages, and that's what can't be handled, even by most paid hosts. It's nothing more than your everyday Slashdot effect, but unlike postings on Slashdot (which only result in traffic for 10-20 hours), this is persistent.

As it stands, nothing (neither extensions nor mirrors) is permitted to automatically check my site for anything under any circumstances (even for testing) without my approval.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should upgrade this to an announcement so everyone sees this first thing when they go into the Main forum. Better yet, make a new locked forum on the site with that title.
Kanaco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005    Post subject: free hosting for adblock related projects Reply with quote

G, I am offering free hosting to you.

You can have G.kanaco.com or any subdomain you want. Unless of course you have your own domain you want..

I have redhat linux 7 & cpanel... I'll give you like 1000 MB of space or whatever you need and unlimited bandwidth.

I have offered free consolidation and hosting to the entire Adblock project.

let me know, pm me, or email me

dev@kanaco.com

msn@kanaco.com = my msn
G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for offering, but hosting is no longer a problem. I'm using Site5's True MultiSite plan, and user donations are completely covering all costs.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
donations are completely covering all costs
Liar! You're site will never survive unless you put ads on it and people stop using Adblock!

Wink Laughing

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
IceDogg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, yep ads is the only way the web will survive! Don't forget it!! /sarcasm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: