The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any plans for Netscape 8?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lwaltz

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005    Post subject: any plans for Netscape 8? Reply with quote

Since Netscape 8 features both Firefox and IE views of webpages, it would be really nice to have Adblock there also. Any plans to do so??
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Netscape 8 support Firefox's extension system?

This page: http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/community/devextension.jsp should answer that question for someone that is a developer.

"For detailed extension development information, please see the Mozilla Knowledgebase at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dev_:_Extensions "
Geist

Yes it works fine you just need to change the install.rdf file.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't get it to work by just simply changing the install.rdf file. It installs but fails to load and this error message appears in the javascript console.

Code:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIXULTreeBuilder.getResourceAtIndex]"  nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://adblock/content/filterall.js :: onSelectionChange :: line 191"  data: no]

Useless. Netscape 8 uses IE to render all trusted sites. Adblock can't work on the IE engine without a complete rewrite.
Geist

It works with the gecko portion. I disabled rending everything as IE and Netscape 8 works great... problem is ad-block keeps crashing it when enabled.

I hope they release a ver that works with Netscape 8.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be very helpful. It's nearly impossible for me to use any browser that doesnt support adblock now that i'm so used to it. From what i understand it shouldt be too dificult to make it work with the geko portion of the code.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to use Netscape when you can use Firefox or Mozilla?

• If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
mpdharley

The reason I use it is that I go to some sites that either require IE to work or simply work better in IE. I've also found some sites (like my bank) that while they work under Firefox, the formatting of the display is "off". Using the Firefox engine under Netscape however, displays the site correctly -- so, I don't even have to use the IE engine!

As for getting AdBlock to work, I was able to get it to work doing the following:

1. Open up Netscape and type in 'about:config' (without quotes) in the address bar.
2. In the filter bar, type in 'app.id' (again, without the quotes) and copy the id string completely (including the braces).
3. Download the latest nightly build of adblock -- do not install it.
4. Use Winzip to extract the install.rdf file
5. Edit the install.rdf file (with a text editor).
6. Find the section that begins with <em:targetApplication>
7. In that section, change the <em:id></em:id> value with the app.id you copied from about:config
8. Change <em:maxVersion> to something higher than 8.0.1
9. Save the file
10. Using Winzip, add the newly modified install.rdf back to the .xpi file
11. Close Netscape
12. Double click on the .xip file. This should open Netscape and start the install. You may be able to do a File | Open in Netscape and select the .xip file, but I haven't tried that.

I was also able to get Flashblock to work using the same process. However, you have to modify the first <em:targetApplication> in the install.rdf file in order to get it to work. The install file does have a target application for Netscape, but changing that still gave me an error.

Also, I don't know how these things will work if you switch to the IE engine (haven't done that).
Zachariah

interesting

• If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

That method gets adblock installed but it causes netscape to freeze on some pages with ads
Mulb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, I also managed to make it work, but it freezes all the time on some sites, like sport24.com (yes, I'm french) and from time to time on others like www.generation-nt.fr

I don(t understand why, because it's specified in the bar that it is receiving data from the right site.

The point is that I have to kill, and it's every twenty minutes.... it's annoying, I go back to firefox until a solution appears.... but I'm waiting for it because I like netscape 8.0

Bye
Mulb
Foodbeater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get Ad Muncher.

Works on all browsers and even allows you to right click on ads when using the latest betas.

http://www.admuncher.com/beta.pl?version=4.7&build=17353&key=173861843

The right click works on firefox/opera and IE as well as all its wrappers and even works on netscape and mozilla.

weaned me off of adblock as soon as I tried it.
D๓ra Michelangela

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foodbeater wrote:
... Ad Muncher ...
PeerGuardian 2 (using the Ads list) is faster than admuncher, doesn't even allow any packets to go to ad sites, and it's opensource http://peerguardian.sourceforge.net/
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference sake it was this line of code in adblock.js which was failing under Netscape that was causing Adblock to fail. Since it's not important I've just caught the exception so that the rest of the code can execute.

Code:
if (child.childNodes.length == 0 && document.getAnonymousNodes(child).length == 0)
   child.setAttribute("abnochildren", true);

The fix has been added to the fixed version of Adblock and I've enabled the ability to install on Netscape 8 as a result.
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2264
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: