The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Page load times very slow in Firefox on Mac, due to AdBlock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
escoles

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005    Post subject: Page load times very slow in Firefox on Mac, due to AdBlock Reply with quote

I'm using Firefox on OS X 10.3. Page loads are very, very slow, and then there's typically a 5-10 second pause after the page appears to have fully loaded during which I can't click links or scroll the page. (In Mac terms, it "beachballs".)

Through a process of elimination I've been able to demonstrate that this is entirely due to AdBlock. I've tried all configuration options for AdBlock; I've tried removing all filters; nothing helps.

Does anyone else experience this problem? I've seen it in every build of Firefox I've used on the Mac so far (1.0.1 through 1.0.4), and through several revisions of AdBlock. I don't recall this being true on the Windows side.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds strange. How long is your filter list?
jpt

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:
Sounds strange. How long is your filter list?

escoles wrote:
I've tried removing all filters; nothing helps.

I think that by "nothing helps" he actually meant "even nothing doesn't help" Wink
escoles

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt wrote:

I think that by "nothing helps" he actually meant "even nothing doesn't help" Wink

You are correct, sir!
mcm_ham

I'd be a little suprised to find that it is something fundamentally wrong with Adblock it is my understanding that rue the main developer uses a mac (hence why the home page looks washed out to windows users). Have you tried a new profile?

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
Use the profile manager to create a new profile and test.

If that works then follow Zachariah's post:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=719
escoles

mcm_ham wrote:
I'd be a little suprised to find that it is something fundamentally wrong with Adblock it is my understanding that rue the main developer uses a mac (hence why the home page looks washed out to windows users). Have you tried a new profile?

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
Use the profile manager to create a new profile and test.

If that works then follow Zachariah's post:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=719

I'm willing to try this, for sure -- though frankly, it smacks of the kind of voodoo I always tried to avoid when I used to do application support. I can't imagine how anyone would design a modern application such that simply clearing the profile should have any effect at all. If this works, I'll be forced to conclude that Firefox has a pretty fundamentally broken design. (Not that that would surprise me.)

But, as I said, I'm willing to try, since Safari is lacking a lot of features I use every day.

One question, not addressed in either of the linked articles: How do you actually load the profile manager on a Mac? The Mozilla.org article directs the user to start the app with a command-line switch, but I don't see how you can actually do that on a Mac.

I figured out that child directories of the Application aren't shown in directory listings, and that I can cd into a *.app container and run ls to find the actual binary, but I can't seem to make anything execute. Do I need to sudo to do this? Or is there some other ill-documented Unixite magic trick i need to pull to actually make applications execute from a command line?
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it may be worth looking in your profile for the XUL.mfl file and remove it. It's simply a preprocessed file to make Firefox startup faster so it will automatically be recreated. If that file becomes corrupted then that can cause slow down.

Quote:
One question, not addressed in either of the linked articles: How do you actually load the profile manager on a Mac?

I don't own a Mac so I couldn't tell you. The only solution I can think of is to open the profiles.ini under "~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/" and change the value of StartWithLastProfile to a '0'. Now just simply running firefox will launch the profile manager all the time.
Superlupo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read once about a Keystroke to be pressed at startup of Firefox to get the Profilemanager, but that didnt work for me.
But if you rename the old Profile located in

"~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles"

the Manager will appear at the next startup, asking to create a new Profile.
After that you can close Firefox and copy files like "bookmarks.html" from the old to the new Profile, so you won't loose the bookmarks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: