The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARGGGGG! Install dang it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005    Post subject: ARGGGGG! Install dang it Reply with quote

ARRRRRRGGGGGGG!

How the heck do you install this thing?

Left click the install button on extentions page... nothing happens

See the right click to download tag... do that... Widows doesn't recognixe the file and so won't open it. Can't find any istrutions anywere that tell me what to do.

ARGGGGG!!!!! I'm frustrated. I know this is a good tool. Now if only I can get it to install.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try downloading Adblock again from the homepage, and do a local install.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

Right-Click the link named "Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39", choose Save Link As... and save the XPI file somewhere on your disk.

Make sure you have "Allow web sites to install software" enabled under Tools > Options > Web Features

After the download is complete, drag the XPI file onto an open Firefox window.

When Adblock is installed, completely close all browser windows and restart Firefox.

Hopefully it will work OK then.
FITorion

I tryed that and This option is not there for me to disable or enable

kstahl wrote:

Make sure you have "Allow web sites to install software" enabled under Tools > Options > Web Features

Fitorion

HAHAHAHa!

Found it tools>options>Advanced

Not Web features

man that was frustrating
Org

I'm using:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3

It has the option exactly where kstahl pointed you to, namely Tools > Options... > Web Features

This version:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.3 (Debian package 1.0.3-2)

however has Edit > Preferences > Web Features

Neither of these versions has "allow web sites to install software" under "(something) > Web Features > Advanced".
kstahl
Support

Fitorion, you are using a very old version of Firefox (1.0PR?). I recommend that you upgrade to the latest version, 1.0.3.
nixie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005    Post subject: Can't re-install Reply with quote

I de-installed adblock and now am trying to re-install. I've done all of the things suggested in the previous links. I've right clicked and then dragged to browser, but I still get the same problems. I have made sure that in options I have "allow websites to install software" checked. After I get the "install now" window, I click it and then the hourglass comes up. Nothing happens then. It just will not download. I am using Firefox/1.0.3 . Is there something perhaps left over from the original adblock that I need to remove? I really need this to work again because without adblock I get carried to pages that I don't like. Please help.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try the really fresh instructions to make sure everything from a previous install is gone...

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
pikaj00

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the same problems as most of the people here. adblock refuses to work on the latest nightlies, and after completely uninstalling the nightly build (uninstalling and deleting all directories including the firefox profiles directory in documents and settings) im getting the same problems in 1.0.3. i have tried everything posted so far, and so far nothing has worked. when i try to install the extension, it shows in the extension list then disappears once its done loading, and once firefox is restarted the adblock extension still is not there. same thing happens with the forecastfox extension, but most other extensions seem to install fine. i have tested all of this on win2k sp4, not sure bout linux since my gentoo install is borked at the moment. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: