The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature Request: Ways to make animated stuff less annoying.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005    Post subject: Feature Request: Ways to make animated stuff less annoying. Reply with quote

Hi, I use adblock and have a small feature request.

My primary use for adblock is to get rid of flashy, distracting ads. This falls into two categories: flash and animated GIFs. Otherwise if its just an image I can live with it and want to download it to support the site.

I often set broad ad blocking rules like http://ad.* or */ads/*. This wacks out everything. Flash, animated and static images. It would be nice if there was an option on each rule to block *only* animated ads (flash or animated GIFs). Flash seems relatively easy as that can be seen by its HTML context. Animated GIFs would seem to require downloading some or all of the file. Hopefuly it would just be the first N bytes to look at the header.

Alternatively, there could be a per rule "do not loop" option. So it loads and goes through its spiel once and that's it.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can disable animated GIFs in Firefox itself. Go to about:config and set image.animation_mode to once or none.

As for blocking animated Flash.. I thought all Flash was animated? You can easiliy construct a rule to block all (most?) Flash content.
Code:
/\.swf($|\W)/

Schwern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:
You can disable animated GIFs in Firefox itself. Go to about:config and set image.animation_mode to once or none.

As for blocking animated Flash.. I thought all Flash was animated? You can easiliy construct a rule to block all (most?) Flash content.

Thank you, but that is a bit too coarse. I do not want to turn off all animated content, simply the ones which I find unnecessary and distracting. ie. Ads.
Drahken

There is no way for a program to tell if an animated image is one you want or not. It can watch for certain keywords in the url (such as "/ads/"), and it can check the filetype (mainly based on the extension), and it can prevent all animated images from animating, but how do you expect it to know that you want to see the dog wagging it's tail but don't want to see the cat licking itself??
The closest you could come to doing that would be to block "/ads/*gif" and "/ads/*swf" instead of just "/ads/". (Using the * wildcard will block site.com/ads/ad.gif and site.com/ads/ad.swf, but won't block site.com/ads/ad.jpg. This, in theory, will block all animated ads, but only animated ones. Of course, it's effectiveness all depends on how considerate the sites are when it comes to naming their ads.)
Schwern

Drahken wrote:
There is no way for a program to tell if an animated image is one you want or not.

Adblock can tell the same way it knows what images are ads or not: I gave it a rule. Each adblock rule could have an assocated option: "Block items matching this rule only if they are animated". Alternatively that could be "Display but do not loop" which might be easier to implement.

Here's a little picture of the dialog box to make it clear.

Code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
|New Filter (use * as wildcard)                                         |
|                                                                       |
|[http://ads.*                                                        ] |
|[X]  Block matches only if animated                                    |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: