The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you block these ads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005    Post subject: How do you block these ads? Reply with quote

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Applications/tcClassi-Benny_Vl-4481/index.php

There's a tutorial one to the right, under that a compare prices, in the middle towards the top is a case study one, and at the bottom is a changing RealMedia one.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple filter like this will clean up much of that site:
Code:
*/ads/*

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have */ad/* */ads/* *.ad.* */ad.* etc.

I'm still getting a lot of ads from them.

SnarlCat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the various incarnations of the substring 'ad', I also block variations of 'banner', doublclick (obviously), and atdmt.com... and see few ads.. I have to get the CSS-side of things working yet to get rid of the others, but the downloaded ones (SWF, images, etc) are pretty well cleared out..

I've got some rather active filters that work very well for me -- take another stab at it and then let me know if you'd like a peek at 'em (I'm not unwilling to share, I just want to try to push you (and others) to write your own filters and learn how this whole thing works instead of letting the cat out of the bag quickly... Besides, my filters work for me and may not for you, so it's best that you write your own filterset...)

Hope this helps...

SnarlCat
sngbrdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005    Post subject: text ads and php/asp Reply with quote

What you're seeing is text ads in a table. Sometimes the ad code is generated by javascript embedded in the page, and sometimes it is created server-side... server-sides happen when the web page is .php or .asp (or other server-side page generaters).

Currently, there isn't any way to block these. Adblock would need to provide an element-blocking mechanism to block the table, and a way to filter the page or element by id or other mechanism. Often, the tables aren't identified, so you'd almost have to do an element-level block by putting in a filter and moving up to the containing table, containing row, etc.

Doable, but tricky. This is something I've wanted to look into doing myself for a while.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnarlCat wrote:
Aside from the various incarnations of the substring 'ad', I also block variations of 'banner', doublclick (obviously), and atdmt.com... and see few ads.. I have to get the CSS-side of things working yet to get rid of the others, but the downloaded ones (SWF, images, etc) are pretty well cleared out..

I've got some rather active filters that work very well for me -- take another stab at it and then let me know if you'd like a peek at 'em (I'm not unwilling to share, I just want to try to push you (and others) to write your own filters and learn how this whole thing works instead of letting the cat out of the bag quickly... Besides, my filters work for me and may not for you, so it's best that you write your own filterset...)

Hope this helps...

SnarlCat
I had to removed *banner* because a lot of sites call thier top logo image or sometimes other images that aren't ads banner.jpg.
AmirG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
I had to removed *banner* because a lot of sites call thier top logo image or sometimes other images that aren't ads banner.jpg.

Since most non-ad banners use the JPEG format and most ad banners don't, you can use the following RegExp:

Code:
/[\W_]banner(?!.*\.jpe?g)/

is there a better way to do this?

Edit: I fixed a minor error, oops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: