The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whitelisting certain ads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suicideguy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005    Post subject: Whitelisting certain ads Reply with quote

I currently visit a website that requires that its members view ads (don't ask why, that's the way it is) otherwise they face deletion. I have Adblock installed while running FF 1.0.3

I installed one of the blacklists that blocks nearly everything. I then went to that website and the ads were blocked (which means the blacklist worked). I then went and removed filters that blocked the ads from that site. The ads never displayed even though nothing was listed as blocked under the "List All Blockable Elements" window.

This website uses 728x90 frames for its ads. Is there anything in Adblock that would block those or what? Is there anyway I can whitelist this site's adservers so that I can see the ads? Am I doing something wrong to make it continue blocking the ads?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblock doesn't block anything on it's own, it's all in the filterlist. The things that are blocked should turn up red in the Adblock-able Items list.

To be sure, you could try turning off Adblock (ctrl+sfit+b) and then loading the page. If the page loads fine one of your filters is responsible.

If that doesn't fix it you could even go so far as to disable Adblock in the Extensions Manager (Tools > Extensions). If that doesn't fix it, it's not Adblock blocking the ads. Maybe your firewall or antivirus has some adblocking capabilities?
suicideguy

Well, I just disabled adblock and the ads are still gone...this is very odd because I don't have anything that would block ads installed on my computer... :?

Thanks for your help.
kstahl
Support

Hmm, have you tried the sticky post Unable to unblock images? Read this first! at the top of this forum?
bene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

suicideguy - you may be interested in checking out this ghastly hack. It enables whitelisting, which will allow you to allow ads from certain servers. Note that the hack won't disable Adblock when you visit a specific site - it will specifically ignore certain URLs that are caugh with your current filter set.

http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=1824

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobish question but.. ehm how do i add the xpi file as an extension? i downloaded it to my HD, but now i dont know how to add it to extensions?

help please?

thx

orfu

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Firefox and then find the .xpi file and click on it once, then "drag" the file onto the Firefox window. That's all!

remember that adblock doens't do anythuing at all until you have imported or created filters!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: