The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Adblock still being developed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005    Post subject: Is Adblock still being developed? Reply with quote

Using FF1.0.3. Today I was looking at another forum, at http://www.misticriver.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I could see the forum index fine, but if I click on a post to read that post nothing happens.

As an experiment, I pressed Ctrl-Shift-B to disable Adblock, then I clicked again on the post I wanted to read, and it opened.

Why did Adblock prevent posts from opening?

I have had similar problems on many sites lately, but this was the first time I thought of disabling Adblock. That might be the source of all such problems.

I notice that I have had the same version of Adblock for a LONG time--v.5, d2, *nightly 39. I frequently do the "update FF extensions" thing in Options, and even try right-clicking on Adblock and choosing "Update" in Tools, Extensions, but there are never any updates for it.

I just looked under "News" on this web site, and under "Latest News", the most recent news listed is dated 10/24/03, a year and a half ago.

Is Adblock compatible with FF 1.0.3? Why haven't there been updates to the extension for so long? Why am I having the problems like the one I mentioned?

Thank you for your input.

(P.S. I just clicked on "Submit", for this post, and nothing happened. Now I will disable Adblock, and see if the post is submitted. That is indeed interesting--if Adblock even prevents its own forum from working!
maiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005    Post subject: Re: Is Adblock still being developed? Reply with quote

maiki wrote:

(P.S. I just clicked on "Submit", for this post, and nothing happened. Now I will disable Adblock, and see if the post is submitted. That is indeed interesting--if Adblock even prevents its own forum from working!

That in fact happened--when I used CTRL-Shift-B to disable Adblock again, the post submitted, and now I left it disabled.

I might just have to uninstall it, unless someone can tell me how to fix it from causing this problem.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblock does not block anything on its own. Either you have hit upon a bug, or one of your filters is responsible. Since I haven't heard of such a bug, I'm betting on the latter.

Do you have a filter which starts something like this?
Code:
/[\W\d_](onlineads?|ad(banner|click|-?flow...

If so, remove the first \d so it instead looks like this:
Code:
/[\W_](onlineads?|ad(banner|click|-?flow...

Org

Adblock doesn't cause any problems with that forum here. I bet kstahl was right again (as usual).

Those forum links include long hexadecimal numbers. Given enough or long enough hex numbers you WILL encounter combination "ad". And if your Adblock filterlist is too aggressive with the word "ad", you will encounter false positives. Disabling Adblock for that site is poor solution. It's much better to do as suggested, and fix your broken filterlist.
ShunterAlhena

As of development issues, the devs assure us that 0.6 is in the making. I'm skeptical and put up a few threads with the very same question, and the two main answers were "we're on it" and "hey you're not paying for this why do you expect anything?"
I hope /and believe/ that the first answer is true, and I agree with the second answer - though man was produced not to be patient forever, it's a design mistake.
How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"
SHODAN, System Shock
best game ever - the only one I ever bought as well
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, what do you think rue and wonko could possibly gain by telling people 0.6 was on the way if it wasn't?

It's not like they are taking preorders...

Last edited by kstahl on Tue Apr 19, 2005; edited 1 time in total

Interest? Noone likes a dead project. It would be an open invitation for someone to fork it, or build something to replace it.

Even though the project looks dead, appearances can be decieving. Smile I know rue is not sitting on his butt twiddling his thumbs Wink
Algy

I had to reinstall my system, so I installed the newest Firefox (1.03) instead of the 1.02 I was using. I then started to download the extensions I had had previously, but when I got to AdBlock, I got a message saying that it was not compatible with the new version of Furefox.

Therefore, all the probs those earlier posters were having, were caused by that incompatibility.

I might go on to describe how updating to the new forefox, then deciding to delete AdBlock actually is what originally CAUSED me to have to totally reinstall my system, but that's another story Sad
maiki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:
Adblock does not block anything on its own. Either you have hit upon a bug, or one of your filters is responsible. Since I haven't heard of such a bug, I'm betting on the latter.

I don't think I put in any filters myself, but just left it at default, as it (Adblock) was installed.

I just checked the filter list, and there are only two:

ad*.*

and

doubleclick.*

Could those filters have caused these problems? Why more problems now with 1.03 than with earlier versions? (I have had FF since .8, and think I have had Adblock all along.) (I don't think it has been updated once since then though.)
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your first filter there is the culprit.

Code:
ad*.*

If you look at the URLs to the forum posts you had trouble opening:

(Example. I have bolded the matching part.)
http://www.misticriver.net/boards/showthread.php?s=d89e842944d9ada21561a3096d9532af&t=18822

That's just for illustration. Your filter blocks the word "ad", followed by anything or nothing, followed by a period ".", followed by anything or nothing. Which clearly matches the pattern in the URL above.

Change your filter to something like this:
Code:
/\Wads?\W/

maiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:

Change your filter to something like this:
Code:
/\Wads?\W/

Thanks for the reply.

What does the W stand for in the filter above?

Would just that line be enough to block most ads?

I guess what I had was probably not the default then, although i do not remember putting that in.

Is there a default filter that comes with Adblock? If so, where can I get it?

If Adblock is installed with no filters, there are probably many people who install it, think it is blocking ads, when in fact (without filters) it is not blocking anything. It should come with a pre-installed default filter, that would work to block most ads on most systems for most people, which of course the user could change, customize, replace, add or delete items, etc., if they wish to.

If there is such a default filter, that I somehow lost, how could I get that filter back?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maiki wrote:

If there is such a default filter, that I somehow lost, how could I get that filter back?

Adblock is plain jane outta the box. You need Filterset.G imported into your adblock. http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/ , which is the "for everyone else" mainstream filter.

Tools > Adblock > Preferences > Adblock Options > Import Filters..

Import the latest text file URL or txt file u saved from that page. Recommended Adblock settings are listed in "settings.txt" on that page.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Adblock is plain jane outta the box.

And isn't that GREAT?
I can go around my favorite sites picking off material as i go an ad at a time, or in bunches.
Beeeautiful! Mr. Green
gracefool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005    Post subject: Is AdBlock Plus the new AdBlock? Reply with quote

Perhaps this thread should be stickied for the "is AdBlock dead" part.

Is AdBlock replaced with [url="http://bene.sitesled.com/adblock.htm"]AdBlock Plus[/url]?

Suggestion to developers (if they're still alive): Make Obj-Tabs less intrusive, ie. by making smaller and more transparent (perhaps an icon instead of text).
ShunterAlhena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially Adblock Plus is to ease the strain on Adblock devs.
Now with all due respect, there hasn't been either byte of change in the webpage neither a new nightly or a screenshot for more than a year. What strain needs easing? * ironic laughter *
How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"
SHODAN, System Shock
best game ever - the only one I ever bought as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: