The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few problems/bugs with new Adblock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004    Post subject: A few problems/bugs with new Adblock Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a few problems which I couldn't find the answer to on the forum;

I used to have a previous version of Adblock with which I could right-click an image, choose Adblock image (or i-frame), make it a universal filter (using an asterisk, *) and click Ok, after which the "input filter" dialog would disapppear and after which the image is immediately blocked.

Right now, I get the input filter dialog, but clicking OK does not make the dialog go away. I have to click the cross in the upperright corner instead.

Also, the filter does not seem to want to stay, for instance, for the site http://www.nu.nl I have a universal bannerfilter with "*.falkag.net*" and the like, but everytime I reopen the site after closing Mozilla FIrefox I get the banners again.

Plus, when I go for Tools > Adblock > List all blockable elements, I get the list menu which is empty and unclosable; the upperright cross does not work, nor does cancel. I have to use CTRL ALT DEL to get rid of it.

Here is some data:
    P4 2.6 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    Win XP Home Edition
    Firefox 0.9.3
    Adblock v0.5 d2 Nightly * build 39

Is there anyone around who recognizes these problems?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a broken install of Adblock. Do a local install by downloading the latest version from the Adblock homepage to your computer, and drag the XPI file onto an open browser window.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html
Ewald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004    Post subject: Hmpf.. Reply with quote

Unfortunately that does not seem to work.. I have tried various ways of deinstalling and re-installing, but how fresh every install may seem, I keep having problems blocking ads for more than 1 session and problems with the input filter dialog only being closable by clicking the upperright cross of the dialog..
kstahl
Support

Have you tried installing in a new Firefox profile?

http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=719
Ewald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004    Post subject: Ehr.. Reply with quote

I have read people on this forum experiencing problems with the ad-blockable items window which resemble the problems I am experiencing... The solutions seems to be a complete de-install of firefox and deleting the full profiles with Firefox..

I will be considering this, though I can't say I'm too happy with it.
kstahl
Support

Understandable. Losing all your extensions and settings is a bitch. It seems to be a quite rare problem, which also makes it hard to diagnose and reproduce.

Don't forget to backup your bookmarks at least.

Last edited by kstahl on Sun Sep 12, 2004; edited 1 time in total
Ewald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll do that. I'll let you know once I'm done whether it worked out for me.

I do need to have Adblock up and running again as it has been of great help the past year.
Zachariah

It's a good idea to do a full re-install at milestones anyway -- so if you want you can wait until the end of next week for Firefox 1.0PR and then do a do a really fresh install.

Extension authors are already scrambling to make their extensions 1.0PR compatible, but if your fav isn't updated by then, then try searching http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/
( adblock is already 1.0PR compatible and available from http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html )

In about a month everything should have calmed down (extensions and themes should be all updated by then), and any upgrades after that shouldn't be so harsh on extensions. Upgrading should be easier from 1.0PR to the 1.0 RCs to 1.0 Final, and beyond...

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
Ewald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hadn't had time to do a reinstall, but after reading this I'll wait for another week.

I think I'll be able to hold on till then Smile
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewald:
I used to have a previous version of Adblock
Search your computer for "adblock.jar". If that returns multiple copies, you've accidentally installed it twice.
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I add */ads/*, there is no problem. But if I add just /ads/, the slashes seem to be ignored as 'uploads' and other words are blocked (and yes, with the /ads/ filter).
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filters starting and ending with a forward slash are interpreted as Regular Expressions. That's why "/ads/" is equal to just "ads". Use wildcards to avoid this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: