The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uh...I have a problem with Adblock and Firefox0.91

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004    Post subject: Uh...I have a problem with Adblock and Firefox0.91 Reply with quote

I did a fresh install of FF 0.91 and I was reinstalling all of my plugins but I can't get Adblock to work! It's the only plugin giving me trouble and it's the one most needed. Sad

Okay heres whats going on: (Using FF .091/Adblock n35 and WinXP)
Installed both versions (n35 and n37 pass3) with a fresh install of FF. The contextual menus show up but when I right click on an ad and tell it to block nothing happens so I reload...still nothing.

I've imported my old filters and still nothing happens. Adblock shows up and everything in the Extension manager but it's like it's not even working.

Am I the only one having trouble with FF 0.91 and Adblock? Is there some way I can fix this? I've already looked through the forum for an answer but nothing has helped.

Thanks!
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want n35 or n37, you want the new n39. It can be found here:
http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

A new profile might be needed to get rid of the junk from the older versions.
crim

Okay I installed that but I can get rid of my old profile. It said that two files were corrupted so I can delete them but I am using a new profile. How can I make another new one?
Crim

It looks like it won't let me create a new one yet...

Okay I deleted two "old" profiles and now I have had to create two more yet with only Adblock (n39) installed I still can't get it to work! To say that I'm pissed right now is an under statement. Anything else that I can do? If not then I think I'll have to give up on Adblock, it was a great program that serverd me well until now.
kstahl
Support

Very strange indeed. Are you using the official Firefox 0.9.1?

If you completely nuke both your Firefox directory and the Mozilla\Firefox directory in %APPDATA% and then reinstall it really should work.

Do you get any errors in Tools > JavaScript Console ?
Crim

Yeah it's the official one, yeah I'm also getting some errors in JS.

Quote:

Error: flyDefs is not defined
Source File: ************
Line: 9

Error: popupwin.blur is not a function
Source File: **************
Line: 3

Error: parent.frames[1] has no properties
Source File: **********
Line: 134

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]" nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/alerts/alert.js :: prefillAlertInfo :: line 69" data: no]

Thats the errors but I'm not running Adblock right now though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004    Post subject: FF 0.91 & adblock n39 Reply with quote

When I click on the adblock 'button' in the lower right corner, or select Tools > Adblock > List all blockable elements
I get an empty list, even though a complex webpage is loaded, and I cannot dismiss the "Adblock-able Items" dialog window. Neither the OK, Cancel or close button on the window do anything. Even if I close all FF browser windows it still remains on the desktop and the only thing I can do is go into the taskmanager and kill it.

This is on WinXP SP1.
kstahl
Support

What does the JavaScript Console have to say?
Crim

Thats also what I'm getting too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the msg above with the empty dialog box not closing.

Here is what my javascript console gives:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]" nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/alerts/alert.js :: prefillAlertInfo :: line 69" data: no]
Petey

I'm getting all of the above errors and I have no messages in the JS console. I'm on XP Home SP 1 with FF 0.9.1
arcade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004    Post subject: Can't get it to work with 0.9 neither. Reply with quote

I've not been able to get adblock to work with 0.9 neither. Not having adblock for 0.9 means that I'm still using 0.8 at work, and Firebird at home.. which kind of sucks due to other bugs, but it's far better with some adblocking than none at all.

Neither my net connection nor my machine is really powerfull enough to fetch all the animated ads and so forth. Sad
kstahl
Support

1. Uninstall Firefox. Make sure all files are gone.

2. Go to %APPDATA% and delete your profile (but save bookmarks.html). Make really sure all traces of it are gone.

3. Download and install the official Firefox 0.9.1.

4. Start Firefox, DON'T import any old profile stuff (add your bookmarks manually later).

5. Go to the Adblock homepage at http://adblock.mozdev.org

6. Download nightly 39 from the dev page.

7. Install it, and restart the browser.
Crim

Okay that did the trick but I'm going to hate putting all of my bookmarks back (200+). Laughing
Thanks for all of the help!
david5717

Crim wrote:
Okay that did the trick but I'm going to hate putting all of my bookmarks back (200+). Laughing
Thanks for all of the help!

If you saved bookmarks.html then you don't have to. Copy it into the
following directory, %APPPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/default.XXX,
where XXX is a random string. You can safely overwrite the boookmarks.html file that's already there.

Cool I forgot about that.
I guess I spoke too soon since after install my other plugins Adblock is doing that exact same thing again. Mad Crying or Very sad
damn.

From the JS Console:
Quote:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIXULTreeBuilder.getResourceAtIndex]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://adblock/content/filterall.js :: onSelectionChange :: line 191" data: no]
kstahl
Support

Must be a conflict with another plugin then. That JS error you posted should be helpful to the developers though.

Which extensions are you using?

You coul try disabling them one after the other and see when (if) Adblock starts working again.
JS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004    Post subject: Adblock and Firefox 0.91 Reply with quote

I am also having a problem with Adblock nightly 39 and Firefox 0.9.1
Adblock appears to be installed correctly but doesn’t block anything until I go to options and disable and re-enable Adblock, after it is re-enabled it works perfectly. The next time I start Firefox nothing is blocked. There are no errors listed in the javascript console. This happens even with no other plugins.
kstahl
Support

Is this a clean install of Firefox 0.9.1 or did you install over an older version and imported your profile?
Crim

Okay, the plugins I'm using are:
Bookmark backup
Tab scroller
Paste and go
Palin text links
IE View
Dictionary search
Tab browser Extensions
undo close teab
Compact menu
mozImage
Add bookmark here
Download tweak manager
Magpie
Moji

Okay thats all of them. I'll start over and see which plugin stops adblocker for working but right now I don't have much time. Others should post their extensions too maybe we can find the common plugin.
Crim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did another install of FF to find which plugin was giving the conflict and after install "Bookmark Backup" it screwed over Adblock. So I found my problem. I'm going to do it over again this time skipping "BB" and see if there are any other conflicts.

Tested (Latest versions):
IE View
Compact Menu
Tabbrowser Extension
Adblock
Crim

I can't get it too work with anything other then those four plugins.
MW

try changing the order of the plugins u install... there is a long time bug (not sure if it was fixed for 0.9 ) which caused listeners to stop loading....

I tried that, now the problem seems to be getting worse. The only plugins I have installed are Adblock and IE View (installed in that order) and now it just stopped working again. I think I'll just wait for the next update, I'm pretty tried staying up just to try and troubleshoot this. Crying or Very sad
alxndr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004    Post subject: yet another frustrated user... Reply with quote

Yet another frustrated Firefox-0.9.1 and Adblock-0.5d2b39 user here...

I've tried everything I can think of, and Adblock is just silently failing -- no errors in the JS console, it's just not blocking any images that my filters should match.

I installed Firefox 0.9.1 into its own directory and let it find my old profile data. I don't remember which version of Adblock I was using, but it wasn't working, so I grabbed the latest dev build and installed it over the old one. No go. Uninstalled the new build, reinstalled it, still no go. Uninstalled it, wiped away my old profile and created a new one, reinstalled it, still no go. Did it again, still no go.

Am I missing something? What should I try next? (The Internet is painful without my preciousss Adblock to protect me from the nasty bannerses!)

(Also, any estimates as to how long us before 0.6 is ready for us Adblock addicts?)
alxndr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004    Post subject: clarification Reply with quote

A clarification: I've noticed that Adblock is only blocking some ads that should match with a filter, instead of all.

For example, a Google ad (with "googlesyndication") is blocked by this (truncated with "...", cause it's really long):

Code:
/(...|buy_assets|googlesyndication|hitbox|...)/

...but images and iframes that start like "ads.something.com" are not blocked by either of these:

Code:
/ad(s|\d)?(\.[\w\d]*){2,3}/
ads.
NJH

Crim wrote:
Okay, the plugins I'm using are:
Bookmark backup
Tab scroller
Paste and go
Palin text links
IE View
Dictionary search
Tab browser Extensions
undo close teab
Compact menu
mozImage
Add bookmark here
Download tweak manager
Magpie
Moji

Okay thats all of them. I'll start over and see which plugin stops adblocker for working but right now I don't have much time. Others should post their extensions too maybe we can find the common plugin.

Crim,

The extensions I use are:
Basics
TBE (v2004062101 which is the latest)
Adblock N39
IEview
Paste and Go

and I have no problems. I also had Add Bookmark Here but as I did not use it I got rid of it. It caused no problems. I'm not sure why you use undo close tab and tab scroller as TBE does both. You should not have any problems with putting your bookmarks back in if you saved bookmarks.html as kstahl said. Just copy it into your new profile. If you still have problems with which extensions you use and the order they are installed, I suggest you download all the extensions to your PC (right click, save as). Then you can just delete or rename the extensions folder in your profile and start again, just dragging the downloaded extension files into a browser window to install them. I suggest restarting FF after you install each extension. I have had problems installing more than one extension at a time with earlier versions of FF and I do not know if that has been fixed.
Crim

I noticed that too, I didn't install them that time. If you read my earlier post then you'd see that it wouldn't work with just Adblock and IE View.
I've mass installed several of my plugins this install but I haven't had any trouble with them.
I still can't figure out what is going on and I don't understand the JS errors that I posted earlier so thats no help to me. I see that I haven't had a single error this time without having adblock installed.
I'm going to install Ad muncher and wait for a new build of Adblock, it's scary seeing how many pages I visit on a daily basis are covered with ads.
DPW49

Will AdMuncher work with the firefox browser ?
NJH

I'd realised that you'd tried a much lighter set up afterwards. Really I was giving you list of my extensions which work together, a faster way of deleting the extensions and re-installing them and an easy way of copying bookmarks between profiles. I can give you no ideas why Adblock is not working for you.
MW

as a work around u can still use n35 .... just install n39 as usual and restart FF.... then close ff and copy the n35 jar file over and overwrite/rename n39 jar file.
Crim

DPW49, Yeah it works. I believe that it works as a proxy filtering your connection for little ad bits. I don't like it as much as I did Adblock but it works, although I find it alittle annoying.

MW, If I feel like trying something new this weekend I do that. Right now I'm just alittle beat for the whole experience (I still haven't gone to sleep since I was testing and configuring FF for most of the night watching for stablity..and catching up on email)
alxndr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW, where can I download the n35 build?
MW

mozillazine thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=588246#588246

http://www.danielryan.org/files/Adblock0.5d2Firefox0.9CompatibleNightly35.xpi

just download the n35 xpi BUT DO NOT INSTALL. u can uzip the xpi and extract the adblock.jar.... Rename/remove the n39 adblock.jar from your extensions folder and replace it with the extracted n35

MW wrote:
mozillazine thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=588246#588246

http://www.danielryan.org/files/Adblock0.5d2Firefox0.9CompatibleNightly35.xpi

just download the n35 xpi BUT DO NOT INSTALL. u can uzip the xpi and extract the adblock.jar.... Rename/remove the n39 adblock.jar from your extensions folder and replace it with the extracted n35

Clicking on my link won't work anymore as I've set up redirectors to the n39 build. I judged that it was working fine and there was no need to continue making people confused by downloading my repackaging. To reiterate, attempting to download either versions from my webpage will now just lead you to download the latest build from Rue.
DPW49

Crim,
Thanks for the reply, I think I'll just wait for the 'new and improved version' of adblock, rather than trying anything else. Have a great weekend. Smile
Schalken

Ok, I too am having a problem with nightly 39, FF 0.9.1, Windows 2000. I nuked the profile folder, uninstalled FF, reinstalled the official 0.9.1, installed nightly 39, didn't import any of my previous settings.

I noticed that as long as the Status Bar is off, Adblock just doesn't work (no ads blocked, Blockable elements always empty). When I check View/Status Bar back on, Adblock works ok, even with all of my old settings, themes and stuff.
kstahl
Support

Ding! Thank you, I can finally reproduce the problem.

To bad I know nothing about programming so I don't know what's causing this.

Thank you! Now I know why AB was freaking out! I hope that it gets fixed soon!
cptmarco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm puzzled, after some problems I finally was able to install the new adblock .

When I open the Extensions I see "Adblock 0.5.2+", and I can make changes using the "option" option Razz .

However it doesnot show up in the Tools menu and when I right-click I also don't see the AdBlock option.

What could this be??
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a botched install to me.

Download the Adblock xpi file to your computer and install it by dragging it to your browser window.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

You might have to uninstall the version you have first.
sd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004    Post subject: dont give up ut works! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Okay I deleted two "old" profiles and now I have had to create two more yet with only Adblock (n39) installed I still can't get it to work! To say that I'm pissed right now is an under statement. Anything else that I can do? If not then I think I'll have to give up on Adblock, it was a great program that serverd me well until now.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify: two issues have been raised in this thread. Only one stands resolved.
Resolved: statusbar-visibility no longer affects Adblock-load.
Open: The Firefox 0.9x extension-manager does not handle overinstall, uninstall, or partial install - properly.
Unfortunately, there's not much we can do, per the latter. If you're savvy enough for the following, you can probably avoid a new profile:
edit
---(to remove traces of Adblock)
---profile:chrome:chrome.rdf
---profile:extensions:extensions.rdf
delete
---profile:extensions:{34274bf4-1d97-a289-e984-17e546307e4f}

re-install Adblock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: