The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major bug in Adblock n39 confirmed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004    Post subject: Major bug in Adblock n39 confirmed? Reply with quote

After reading about people having problem with Adblock not blocking anything, I've been able to reproduce the problem thanks to "Mike" and "Shalken".

Symptoms:

1. Adblock not blocking anything even though it's enabled in Tools > Adblock > Preferences.
2. The context menues of images will show a whole shitload of Adblock options:

Adblock Image
Adblock Embed
Adblock Object
Adblock Applet
Adblock iFrame
Adblock Remove Map

3. Obj-Tabs are missing.

To reproduce:

Go to the View menu and disable the Status Bar. Restart browser.

Temporary solution:

Re-enable the Status Bar (it will show Unloaded for Adblock). Restart browser.

EDIT:

Restarting your browser is not necessary after re-enabling the Status bar. Going to another page or hitting refresh (possible more than one time) will also fix it.

If you click on the Unloaded link after enabling the Status Bar, it will show an empty list. This is found in the JS Console:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIXULTreeBuilder.getResourceAtIndex]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://adblock/content/filterall.js :: onSelectionChange :: line 191" data: no]

Last edited by kstahl on Sat Jul 03, 2004; edited 1 time in total
Crim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what's been happening to me, check the thread.
Very interesting that having the status bar off makes AB brake. Atleast now I know why I was having the problem. I hope it can get fixed soon because I don't like having the status bar (it doesn't fit my theme and I find it annoying).
kstahl
Support

Yes, I've been reading that thread, it just didn't occur to me that it actually was caused by disabling the Status Bar. I now remember DPW49 saying that he had it disabled as well.

I take it re-enabling the Status Bar fixes it for you too?
Crim

Haven't tried it, I don't much like having the stat bar displayed but I'll try it later after I post Smile
Crim

But I do remember that when I was installing extensions after a fresh install that I hadn't customized the theme yet and Adblock worked then but not after I disabled the stat bar.

That seems like a really weird bug and rather weird that it wasn't caught before hand. I hope that it gets worked out!
kstahl
Support

I don't think that many people actually disables the Status Bar, that's why it was so difficult to track down.

I was really scratching my head trying to understand why it just didn't work for some people.

Last edited by kstahl on Sat Jul 03, 2004; edited 1 time in total
Mike

I use the All-in-One Gestures extension to show the URLs of links in a tooltip, and Ctrl-Shift-A to see all blockable elements on a page. TabBrowser Extensions shows the progress bar in tabs, so I really don't need the status bar taking up room.

Thanks for confirming this bug for us and providing more detailed error information, kstahl!

Yes, very nice job tracking this puppy down. Living with the status bar is better than living with the ads (I think). A very odd bug indeed.
Crim

You might be right about that, I've been having trouble getting to my Gmail account since I installed Admunch. Confused
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

n39 pass5: Installer, and jar-file.
Load-flow is no longer tied to the status-element.
To fix a bug with ExternalApplicationButtons, our window-load process had been anchored to the status-element. I never considered hiding the statusbar might keep the child-elements from being bound. Ah well- we're good now. (I hope.)
Crim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It works again! Very Happy
Freso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the other thread mentioned above, as well as this one, I can say that I do not think the statusbar is the problem. I do not now, nor have I ever had, the statusbar disabled. I simply use the statusbar too much to even consider disabling it. And all of the usual symptoms (from reading of other threads, both just now, and in the past) of this bug happen to me.

And yes: This is with both fresh and not-quite-as-fresh installs. Installed from update.moz.org.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: