The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Version?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Confused

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005    Post subject: Latest Version? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've tried but am totally lost. Can someone point to where I find the "latest" Adblock, or Adblock+? I see things about Adblock and Adblock+, 40 and 56, etc. I'm totally confused. I just found FF1.5 and installed it. I also installed Adblock v0.5.2.055 from the Mozilla Extensions site. Am I correct that my version is more than a year old? Any help would be great.

Cheers

Confused
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused:
Your confusion is understandable, so hopefully this will help:
Until today, Adblock's last official update was .5 d2 Nightly 39. This went-on to be massaged into various third-party releases, including all the "52-56" releases, and Adblock Plus.
Out of public-view, a few weeks ago, Mozilla.org staff became concerned with security-issues + Adblock, and it came to a head on a weekend I was away. In a slight panic, they removed the last official build -- Nightly 39 -- and pushed the 55-56 builds. Unfortunately, those builds had various issues ranging from memory-leaks, to even worse security concerns.
On returning, and determining what happened, I re-opened development on Nightly 39, and that is what will become Nightly 40. Chronologically, Nightly 40 is newer than the 5x builds. The link exposes a fully-functional internal build.
The issues Mozilla.org wanted addressed were true for all builds of Adblock, so several codebases are being adjusted in tandem. Development is ongoing, and an announcement will be posted when Nightly 40 is released.
Cheers,
rue

ps: and since you did ask, here's links to Nightly 40 (internal), Plus, and of course the 5x builds.
The build you can feel safest with is Nightly 40 (internal).
EchoTech

Browser - Mozilla 1.7.12

I have been using nightly 39 and I just saw this post so I thought I would try the nightly 40.

From Nightly 39 I did a remove all filters, then a de-install from 'AdBlock Options', got the message that 'XUL.MLF ' could not be deleted, so I renamed it.

Then I dropped nightly 40 on to the browser, re-installed Filterset.G and all seemed well. However, for some reason I am now getting Google Ads all over the place, e.g. http://rapidshare.de . The ads weren't there with nightly 39, and I don't recall adding anything other than Filterset.G to AdBlock. Just wondering if it's me or ...

Thanks for your time.
EchoTech

Further to above post - Nightly 40 (with Filterset.G) doesn't seem to be working at all. Ads at http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/
as an example are not blocked. As I am using the same Filterset.G 2005-12-11a.txt as I was with Nightly 39, which worked fine, when I have time in a couple of hours I will re-install Nighly 39 and see what happens.

Dave.
Org

Is it possible that nightly 40 has mixed the options "hide ads" and "remove ads"? Sure looks that way in Fx 1.5.

Hi...

@Org: yeah, seems that the nightly 40 has somehow switched the options "remove ads" and "hide ads" - so "hide ads" shoud be the option of choice.

@rue: could you please fix this behavior? I also get some errors in the js-console that didn't appear with the .56+ build.

o_O

use adblock plus... it is ten times better than this nightly nightly adblock...
Confused

rue wrote:
Confused:
Until today, Adblock's last official update was .5 d2 Nightly 39. This went-on to be massaged into various third-party releases, including all the "52-56" releases, and Adblock Plus.
Out of public-view, a few weeks ago, Mozilla.org staff became concerned with security-issues + Adblock, and it came to a head on a weekend I was away. In a slight panic, they removed the last official build -- Nightly 39 -- and pushed the 55-56 builds. Unfortunately, those builds had various issues ranging from memory-leaks, to even worse security concerns.
On returning, and determining what happened, I re-opened development on Nightly 39, and that is what will become Nightly 40. Chronologically, Nightly 40 is newer than the 5x builds. The link exposes a fully-functional internal build.
The issues Mozilla.org wanted addressed were true for all builds of Adblock, so several codebases are being adjusted in tandem. Development is ongoing, and an announcement will be posted when Nightly 40 is released.
Cheers,
rue

ps: and since you did ask, here's links to Nightly 40 (internal), Plus, and of course the 5x builds.

Thank YOU rue!

Enlightened (aka Confused)
rue
Developer

Org + Echo: mended; and thanks.
--
Guest: post any errors, and the url they appear for; I'll be happy to check.

Hi...

@rue: with the newest version of your nightly 40, the remove option works correctly, but now I get random obj-tabs at flash-objects although the corresponding option is disabled ?!?

to check: at http://www.labelsmusic.de/royksopp/ I have an obj-tab at the top, option is unchecked.

o_O

EDIT: same for http://www.macromedia.com o_O
EDIT: java-applets now also get an obj-tab o_O

rue wrote:
Confused:

what will become Nightly 40. Chronologically, Nightly 40 is newer than the 5x builds.

...an announcement will be posted when Nightly 40 is released.
Cheers,
rue

Just name it 57 to avoid what will certainly be GREAT confusion in the future.
Org

I can confirm the random obj-tab finding of Guest, using latest nightly 40, Flashplayer 8.0 and Fx 1.5.
rue
Developer

Guest + Org: mended.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Confused:
Cheers,
rue

So, does 40 have everything that "Adblock 0.5.2.056+ - Fixed version here!" has?

And, more importantly, does it work?

detailed changelog? i see no reason for switching back from adblock plus... Rolling Eyes

when is 6.0 coming out? adblock plus is pretty much 6.0, any beta releases?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: