The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whitelist filter for solve problem with yahoo mail being no.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005    Post subject: Whitelist filter for solve problem with yahoo mail being no. Reply with quote

@@*mailcommonlib.js

Put it and you will can see yahoo email correctly...
G

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would Yahoo! Mail have any problems to begin with?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adblock plus version has filters already in place. These filters block out "yimg.com/*.js". As a result, one of the important javascript files that ymail uses gets blocked. the whitelist fixes this.
kstahl
Support

Could we keep discussion of that unofficial version to this thread please:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=1966
Org

Anonymous wrote:
The adblock plus version has filters already in place. These filters block out "yimg.com/*.js".

This is a perfect example why it's good that the official Adblock ships without default filters. Perhaps the person who created this filter doesn't mind getting false positives with it, but what about the others? Technically minded user would simply fix the filterlist, but what would a non-technical user do? Stop using Firefox? Stop using Adblock? Stop using Yahoo mail?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use the unofficial version like the official. Could be nice an url for updating, like .../filters.txt using the unix-like symbol links...
bene

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitelist discussion:

here
here

Thanks!

AdBlock Plus Forums here.
Paulfox

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Org put it best:
This is a perfect example why it's good that the official Adblock ships without default filters.

I have 6 rather involved filters just for Yahoo to avoid false positives. By shipping with no default set, users are free to use basic filters, "right click and block" until they find a way to shorten their lists with "*" for like listings, or use Filterset G and "tweak/shorten/append" that to their liking. Yes, they may have to "learn" something (heaven forbid), but I thought that was the fun of it! Learning regular expressions for me has been a whole other BENEFIT to AdBlock, along with great instruction from G, kstahl. mcm_ham & others. God bless all of you!

In my opinion there is little or no reason to "undo" AdBlock's function by having a separate "list" of "Don't block on this one," disucssed on other thread(s). If your filters aren't right, fix them. If you don't want to bother with tweaks, use Filterset G and disallow anything that MIGHT give you (rarely) a false positive. It's simple as that.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulfox wrote:
In my opinion there is little or no reason to "undo" AdBlock's function by having a separate "list" of "Don't block on this one," disucssed on other thread(s). If your filters aren't right, fix them. If you don't want to bother with tweaks, use Filterset G and disallow anything that MIGHT give you (rarely) a false positive. It's simple as that.

I agree. I have said it before (1,2); A carefully crafted filterset is far more important than a whitelist (though I do still see the value in having that feature).

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
bene

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep revisiting this thread and saying to myself "When will it die?!?" But good points, nonetheless. I agree that a well crafted filterlist is better than a "brute force" approach. I do feel, however, that whitelisting allows an extra level of simplicity, of elegance, when used properly. Instead of 6 rather involved filters just for Yahoo, it may be possible to drop it down to 1 or 2 black and one white. Instead of rewriting one of my main adblocking patterns, I can identify a pattern that is acceptable and create a positive filter for that - ie, allow "/(msg|s)id=ad/".

Personally, I'm undecided on default filter lists. I lean more towards not having 'em, especially when they target specific domains. Right now I'm tending to believe that the people finding AdBlock Plus are more experienced Adblock users, and that the default filter list doesn't come into play most of the time - it only gets used when there are no pre-existing filters.

AdBlock Plus Forums here.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Org wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
The adblock plus version has filters already in place. These filters block out "yimg.com/*.js".

This is a perfect example why it's good that the official Adblock ships without default filters. Perhaps the person who created this filter doesn't mind getting false positives with it, but what about the others? Technically minded user would simply fix the filterlist, but what would a non-technical user do? Stop using Firefox? Stop using Adblock? Stop using Yahoo mail?

I nearly quit using firefox because I couldn't get yahoo mail to work with adblock (which was the first extension I was told to install). It should NOT be shipped with default filters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Org wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I nearly quit using firefox because I couldn't get yahoo mail to work with adblock (which was the first extension I was told to install). It should NOT be shipped with default filters.

I should add I'm about as technically inclined as an eggplant.

This was very god damned frustrating to not use yahoo mail. I was torn between my love for firefox and the frustration of not being able to use email. I was thisclose to just saying "screw firefox" because of that very reason.

That and the fact it crashes (I'm not exaggerating here) about 3 times an hour. I'm sure it's something on my end that's causing it, but IE has NEVER crashed on me. Not once. I still use firefox because of tabbed browsing and the extensions, but the constant crashes are really pissing me off. These couldn't be adblock related, could they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: