The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefox 0.9.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chopstix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004    Post subject: Firefox 0.9.3 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have found that the latest adblock (dev. build 39) is incompatible with Firefox 0.9.3. I have read how to bypass this elsewhere in the forum and that is by installing Firefox 0.9.2. Still, I do not wish to downgrade to 0.9.2. So can anyone tell me when a version of adblock compatible with Firefox 0.9.3 will be released?

Thanks! Very Happy
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest release of Adblock is fully compatible with Firefox 0.9.3. I've been using it since it's release without any problems.

If you have problems, try downloading Adblock from the official homepage:
http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

If it doesn't work, try to describe the problem and maybe we can help.

I have had no problems using the latest version of Adblock with Firefox 0.9.3

Maybe a TOTAL CLEAN install of everything will fix everything. Don't forget to remove your user profile directory as well.
chopstix

Well, it doesn't install for some reason. Removing everything is not something I fancy doing because I'd have to reinstall all my extensions as well.

Any ideas?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "it doesn't install" what exactly do you mean?
chopstix

Ok, this is what I did just now:

I uninstalled Firefox 0.9.3 and deleted the d:\program files\Mozilla Firefox directory. I also deleted the profiles directory.

Then I downloaded firefox 0.9.3 installer for Windows and installed Firefox (on WinXP SP2). I went to the adblock page and did an XPI installation. After the 'Install' button became clickable, it seemed to be ok but the adblock extension did not show up under DOM inspector in the extensions window. I restarted Firefox and it still wasn't there.

I then tried copying the adblock.jar file to my chrome directory (both in the firefox and profile directories) but I had no luck. NOthing happened.

Usually there is an install.log file in the Firefox directory telling me which extensions installed successfully and which ones did not. No such file exists after trying to install adblock.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help again.
kstahl
Support

Very strange indeed.

Since you've already cleared your profile (I hope you saved your bookmarks), you could try following these steps:

http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=719

(Step 10 is optional)
chopstix

I did it that way except I did not backup my profile directory and decided to start fresh (only kept my bookmarks).

I don't have Java. Is this needed? I prefer not to install Java as it uses too much disk space.
cell1527

Did you go into firefox options and under advanced, make sure allow websites to install software is checked, that needs to be checked in order to install extensions.
chopstix

Yes, it is enabled. I managed to install some other extensions, but not adblock.
fatcop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004    Post subject: dito Reply with quote

hear hear chopstix. I have exactly the same problem with the same versions of FF and AdBlock. Not on SP2 tho.
also now when i click the Tools -> Extensions, the extensions window does not appear. It think for a few secs, then nothing.

I will now go hacking out all references to AdBlock in profile files to see if I can at least get my Extension window to come back.
I have had this problem with older versions of AdBlock and Firefox.
kstahl
Support

No, Java is not needed.

How utterly bizarre. Have you tried installing it by downloading the XPI file and dragging it onto an open browser window?
fatcop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004    Post subject: well that was fun... Reply with quote

I tried removing every XML entry and file mentioning adblock in the config dirs. Still no improvement. I also tried the download and drag technique. Still the same.

I previously had a older version of AdBlock working on FF0.9.3, but I uninstalled it and installed this new one.

fyi: Tools -> Extensions does nothing, but when I kill FF, firefox.exe is still running in the processes. So its hanging there somewhere. I've seen this hanging before with other extensions.

I give up on the hacking. Will reinstall from scratch (copying my bookmarks to a save place) and perhaps try adding the new Adblock extension before anything else Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004    Post subject: General extention problemo maybe? Reply with quote

Is this a problem specifically with the AdBlock extention, or does it occur with other extentions as wel? I'm asking this because I'm having trouble installing extentions in general. A work-around for this is dragging the XPI link to the address bar.
chopstix

kstahl wrote:
No, Java is not needed.

How utterly bizarre. Have you tried installing it by downloading the XPI file and dragging it onto an open browser window?

Yes, that worked!! Thanks a lot! Very Happy
kstahl
Support

That's good to know. I'm glad it worked!
fatcop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004    Post subject: cleaned up Reply with quote

well fyi ... i fully reinstalled FF093 (inc moving profile folders), and successfully installed the "Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39" normally via the extension manager. Everything working fine afterwards.

Must have either been another extension, or a conflict with one.
The only other two I installed recently were FlashGot and LeechGet.
LeechGet's install was not neat. It just installed without confirming or leaving an entry in the Extension Mgr.

Also saw the latest post agaist the FlashGot extension which might explain things.

Quote:

This is exactly what I had been looking for and it works great, unfortunantley it's not compatable with Adblock. Could yuh please fix this?

I won't be reinstalling FlashGot or LeechGet extensions again for a while.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004    Post subject: Look, ma, ads! Reply with quote

I'm running 0.9.3, and trying to use Adblock. Unfortunately, the "ad-blockable items" window comes up blank-- everywhere. And if I try to right-click on images and block them, nothing happens. Is this just me? I've tried installing the lated Adblock build through the extension installer and through dragging it onto Firefox. I even found an older build of Adblock. Still nothing.

Argh?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004    Post subject: End task Reply with quote

I am also (this is the same guest, sorry, not going to register yet) tired of using Task Manager-- End Task to close the Ad-blockable Items window. Has anyone else had to do this? And how do you fix it, short of uninstalling Adblock?

And I'm not actually getting any ads blocked anymore.

Argh?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I registered. Posting again in hopes of getting a notice of a reponse. Smile

argh?
argh?

Anonymous wrote:
OK, I registered. Posting again in hopes of getting a notice of a reponse. Smile

argh?

Right. Doesn't automatically log you in. Gotcha.
kstahl
Support

Sounds like something is seriously screwed up if the local install didn't fix it. You should try installing into a fresh Firefox profile. And be sure to download the XPI from http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html and not from U.M.O.
argh?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004    Post subject: Adblock Reply with quote

I'm just using the default profile... and I just uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, and dragged the .xpi onto it that I downloaded from Mozdev. I'm about to close my browser and shut down the ad-blockable items window through Task Manager since the close box and cancel button aren't working.

The .xpi that I got from a different site did actually close when I hit cancel, so I think I'm going to track that one down again. So even if nothing gets blocked, at least I can close the blank window. *sigh*
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, you should try a fresh Firefox profile. Reinstalling Firefox itself will not help as that leaves your profile intact.

Run Firefox as "firefox.exe -p" and create a temporary new profile.
argh?

kstahl wrote:
As I said, you should try a fresh Firefox profile. Reinstalling Firefox itself will not help as that leaves your profile intact.

Run Firefox as "firefox.exe -p" and create a temporary new profile.

OK. New profile, no other extensions. Still getting a blank ad-blockable window, still having to use task manager to close that window.

Other suggestions?

Thanks for the help. I'm evangelizing Firefox to the high school I work at, and would love to be able to recommend Adblock unconditionally.
kstahl
Support

Just to be certain, you are installing the version from the Adblock homepage at http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html ?
argh?

Yes, the Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39 linked from that page.

It's weird!
Zachariah

Anonymous wrote:
Maybe a TOTAL CLEAN install of everything will fix everything. Don't forget to remove your user profile directory as well.
Instructions located in my signature ...

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
argh?

Well, the totally fresh install worked. Thanks. Annoying, but less so than all the dang ads.
Willie...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004    Post subject: Glitch with ABOUT:CONFIG Reply with quote

I'm running FireFox 0.9.3 under WIN98SE (plus all service packs & updates) on an AMD XP1900+ with 256M RAM & 40G HD.

If I scroll to where the ADBLOCK line is visible in the ABOUT:CONFIG window, the text looks like it is overlapping on itself several times over, and FireFox crashes.

Here is an excerpt from the Windows CRASH:

FIREFOX caused a general protection fault
in module DIBENG.DLL at 0004:00000f0c.

This is 100% repeatable. I can use the ABOUT:CONFIG as long as I scroll away from the ADBLOCK line quickly!
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Adblock lines contain you entire filter list. I guess it could crash if you have an insanely long list or something.
buzz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004    Post subject: adblocking Reply with quote

Use proxomitron. No ads, no problems.

http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.html
sfj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use proxomitron. No ads, no problems.

Win32 only... and for a Mac ? or for Linux ? Firefox + Adblock are available for many platforms.
And if Proxomitron is so cool, why are U here ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: