The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUG: Adblock conflicts w/either Flash or Javascript

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlleyGater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004    Post subject: BUG: Adblock conflicts w/either Flash or Javascript Reply with quote

Sorry if this bug is documented somewhere else, but I searched around and didn't find it anywhere.

At my work, I keep finding that pieces of Flash is not DISPLAYING at all. At first I thought it was being mistakenly blocked, but I checked my rules and I could DEFINITELY tell it wasn't being blocked. I got so upset that I deinstalled and reinstalled many different browsers and finally realized that Adblock is CERTAINLY the culprit. If I disable Adblock the page loads the Flash. Turn it back on and it doesn't.

What I also realized is that IF the page is long enough to have a scroll bar then if I scroll down the page, SUDDENLY the flash is visible.

OK stats. I'm using a dual processor G4 Mac, running 10.35. I'm having the problem with the newest versions of Firefox and Mozilla with the newest versions of Adblock. My coworker is running the same software on a different kind of G4 and he has the same issue.

Don't believe me? Go here:
http://www.scifi.com/stargate/

The top of the page should not be blank. Scroll down? Voila there is the flash. Scroll up, it disappears again. Or alternately, turn off Adblock, refresh the page and voila there is the flash again.

I can give you lots of other examples of this on our site, which leads me to think it could be some javascript error that scifi.com uses. But certainly Adblock is conflicting with something.

thanks for the help,
-Michael Gerber
Chris Q

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004    Post subject: works fine for me Reply with quote

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040614 Firefox/0.9

Adblock 0.5
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

wfm

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040811 Firefox/0.9.1+
Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, works fine for me too. Maybe a Mac specific problem?

Which browser and Adblock versions are you running?
AlleyGater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004    Post subject: Let's hear from some Mac users please Reply with quote

I'm running Firefox 0.9.1 and Mozilla 1.7.2 and Adblock 0.5 d2 build 39

But I have had the problem with other versions of the browsers too in the past.
AlleyGater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004    Post subject: THIS IS STILL BROKEN Reply with quote

Does anyone else have this problem.

It seems to be a Mac problem as far as I can tell. But it won't go away, and it drives me nuts. I find I have to constantly toggle Adblock on and off in order to surf.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried disabling Obj-Tabs?

Also, try reinstalling Adblock by downloading the XPI file and dragging it onto an open browser window.
Peter E

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me (that page) on Moz 1.8a4, Mac, OS X 10.3.5.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyGater:
I've seen a similar issue, independant of Adblock -- under os9, when the browser is running short on memory. Further, Adblock also triggers those symptoms on larger, flash-inclusive sites, like tvguide.com.
Check that you have the latest version of Flash installed. Check how much memory is allocated to the browser. Try restarting your computer, launching just the browser, and opening just your site. Any better?
sfj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004    Post subject: Re: BUG: Adblock conflicts w/either Flash or Javascript Reply with quote

Rue, I do think like you first, but
AlleyGater wrote:
I'm using a dual processor G4 Mac, running 10.35
He says that he's running OS X 10.3.5...
And you can't allow less or more memory under OS X like you can under OS 9.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfj:
No, you can play with memory-settings under osX. The easiest way combines "wired memory" with increased process-priority. The more difficult way involves system-level alterations -- eg. Photoshop's "classic style" memory allocation panel.
However, the word I used was "check" not "set". All he needs to know is how much the application needs, which he can then guage against what's available. I know it's unlikely he's maxing, but the symptoms were similar, so that's my first call.
sfj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't understand your post like that, rue Crying or Very sad
glfsophia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004    Post subject: I had the same annoying problem Reply with quote

Using MacG4 OS X 10.3.5

Flash files have an Adblock tab and that's it. But when I scroll down far enough so that the Adblock tab disappears, the Flash file appears.

Here's a typical page that acts this way: http://realclearpolitics.com/Presidential_04/RCP_Electoral_Count_Chart.html

So, I've removed the Obj-Tab preference, and lo and behold it works fine.

Thanks for the topic and suggestion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: