The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock-Thunderbird

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004    Post subject: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

Now that I read RSS with Forumzilla in Thunderbird, I'd like to get rid of the flashy and other ads in webpages displayed here.

Anyone who forcibly installed 0.5d2 nightly 39 in Thunderbird and got it to work - or are there other ways to get this done... possibly it is already being developed?

The comments in install.rdf didn't promote me to change it Wink

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004    Post subject: Re: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

SanderG wrote:
Now that I read RSS with Forumzilla in Thunderbird, I'd like to get rid of the flashy and other ads in webpages displayed here.

Anyone who forcibly installed 0.5d2 nightly 39 in Thunderbird and got it to work - or are there other ways to get this done... possibly it is already being developed?

The comments in install.rdf didn't promote me to change it Wink

Thanks!

I install Adblock on mozilla 1.7 and the mail reader use it. Someone know why it dont install on thunderbird?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004    Post subject: Re: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I install Adblock on mozilla 1.7 and the mail reader use it. Someone know why it dont install on thunderbird?

Installing Firefox extensions in Thunderbird is a Bad Idea(tm).
Xsombra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004    Post subject: Re: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:

Is there an adblock like extenxion for thunderbird?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of, no. Sad
XSombra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a chance that ab can be used by thunderbird in the future?
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is that we'd like to, but can't.

Right now, Thunderbird, unlike Firefox and Mozilla, does not ask Adblock whether or not it should load each image it comes across.

(You might've noticed that when you right-click an image in Firefox/Mozilla, one of the menu items says "Block images from servername", while this menu item isn't present in Thunderbird. Adblock hooks into the same part of the backend as does that menuitem, so if/when you see that menuitem present in Thunderbird, it's likely that Adblock will be able to work on Thunderbird.)

The relevant bug in bugzilla is 245361. Until that bug is fixed, Adblock will not be able to work on Thunderbird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

why can't I find the place to vote for that bug?

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
SanderG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachariah wrote:
Because it is still in status NEW. Someone must pick it up before you can vote...
EL reteiPos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004    Post subject: Re: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

A bad idea? What's wrong with installing Adblock in Thunderbird? Or, what can go wrong?
Greg K Nicholson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderG wrote:
Zachariah wrote:
Because it is still in status NEW. Someone must pick it up before you can vote...
No, it's because Thunderbird bugs can't be voted for - no-one ever bothered to turn voting on for Thunderbird.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

:-(

sanderg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005    Post subject: Voting is open! Reply with quote

You can now vote for bug 245361!![/url]
El reteiPos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 2 votes for it yet...
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

make that 5

El reteiPos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I vote more than one time? If yes, how?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the Thunderbird bug in question, and it seems to imply that they are already calling what they consider to be an appropriate function (::ShouldLoad) to check for http, https, and ftp images, and this bug is merely about extending this to account for additional image leaks like news: images.

Is this really the bug that's blocking AdBlock? I'm wondering whether their fixing that bug would have any practical effect on whether AdBlock could work (at least for the majority of cases such as http images).

If not, could someone in the know please enter a Thunderbird bug that describes the actual changes needed, and set it to block my bug 289312, which generically requests all changes necessary to get AdBlock to work (posting a comment on bug 289312 would also be fine)?

If the bug is correct, and they are already calling ::ShouldBlock for http images, can AdBlock be tweaked to be installable on Thunderbird and use what limited capability they already have?
I play with fire

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

kstahl wrote:

What feature-, extension-, CSS-, pixie dust can be used on- or in Thunderbird to achieve the same adblocking Good Idea(tm) effect?
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock-Thunderbird Reply with quote

I play with fire wrote:
What feature-, extension-, CSS-, pixie dust can be used on- or in Thunderbird to achieve the same adblocking Good Idea(tm) effect?

wonkothesane wrote:
The relevant bug in bugzilla is 245361. Until that bug is fixed, Adblock will not be able to work on Thunderbird.

I don't know of a workaround.

zyrill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always use the poor peoples' adblocker and alter your "hosts"-file... exists on every platform i know and works... but you can't use regexp.
ecjs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

zyrill wrote:
you can alter your "hosts"-file

Hosts File

Myth - "Special AntiSpyware Hosts Files are necessary to prevent Spyware infections."

Reality - "Using Special AntiSpyware Hosts Files are a waste of time and false security. Any Malware/Spyware can easily modify the Hosts File at will, even if it is set to Read-only. Frequently Malware/Spyware uses the Hosts File to redirect your Web Browser to other sites. CoolWebSearch hijackers are masters at altering Read-only ("locked down") Hosts files. They can also redirect Windows to use a Hosts File that has nothing to do with the one you keep updating. The Hosts file is an archaic part of networking setups that was originally meant to be used on a LAN and was the legacy way to look up Domain Names on the ARPANET - DNS History. It tells a PC the fixed numeric address of the internal server(s) so the PC doesn't have to go looking for them through all possible addresses. It can save time when "discovering" a LAN. I don't consider 1970's ARPANET technology useful against modern Malware/Spyware. Special AntiSpyware Hosts Files attempt to associate a known safe, numeric address with the names of sites you want to block. When the user or any process on the PC then tries to access a blocked site, it is instead directed to the safe location. This works as long as the site's numeric IP address never changes. But IP addresses do change and they're supposed to be able to. The Web operates via "dynamic" naming, where a human friendly name (www.google.com) is actually an alias for the real address, which is numeric. The numeric address can and will change from time to time as a site or server is moved or reconfigured. People with out-of-date addresses hardwired into their Hosts File will no longer be able to connect to any site whose numeric address has changed. The Hosts entry will permanently point them to a dead location! It's almost impossible to update a Hosts file frequently enough to guard against all threats and even if you did, you'd probably also run into problems in accidentally blocking good sites that happened to move to new numeric addresses. Large Hosts Files also cause Internet related slowdowns due to DNS Client Server Caching and disabling DNS Client Server Caching is not a solution. KB318803 "The overall performance of the client computer decreases and the network traffic for DNS queries increases if the DNS resolver cache is deactivated." When cleaning Malware/Spyware from a PC, it is much easier to check a clean Hosts File then one filled with thousands of lines of addresses. Considering how easily a Hosts File can be exploited, redirected and potentially block good sites, it is strongly recommended NOT to waste time using Special Hosts Files. Especially when proper Malware/Spyware protection can be achieved by simply using these steps, all without ever using a Hosts File." - Source

Notes - There is a much better solution for bad site blocking using SpywareBlaster which more intelligently use's Internet Explorer's built-in Zone Security settings and the registry.
Linda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to use firewall (Norton, Panda e.t.c.)
Wladimir Palant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonkothesane wrote:

Sorry but that's not true. I finally came around to test this and the current Adblock Plus development build (http://adblockplus.org/development-builds/adblock-plus-for-thunderbird-coming) manages to work just fine in Thunderbird. So far I tested it on images (both regular and background), styles and scripts - all work. There might be some rare cases where bug 245361 strikes but what we have now is already good enough.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying it worked fine on Thunderbird builds from 2 years ago when wonkothesane made that comment?
Wladimir Palant

I'm pretty sure it did, nobody worked on that bug. Generally, Thunderbird uses the same engine as Firefox to display HTML content, so all the content policies hooks should be there - with the exception of some edge cases maybe (the example in the bug is about the news: protocol). I mean, "block loading of remote images" option always worked - and it is a content policy as well.

Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Sun Sep 24, 2006; edited 1 time in total
Zachariah

even for RSS?

Wladimir Palant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSS isn't any different from a mail for Thunderbird, Forumzilla (RSS extension that has been built-in) makes it look like a regular message. And if you choose to view the original page then it inserts an iframe inside the message, nothing special here.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Tardder74

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://Angelina-Jolie-Showing-Off-Her-Boobs.info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: