The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a suggestion...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bundyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: I have a suggestion... Reply with quote

I think an option "Remove the underlying object too" applied to a specific filter will do us good...

What do you think about it?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundyo:
I have absolutely no idea what an "underlying object is" :P
But, I suspect you're speaking about the empty space that can sometimes appear where an element was removed. That space is the result of "Fast Collapse" being enabled -- by default -- in the prefs.
If you uncheck it, collapsation will slow render-speed slightly; but the empty space will be gone.
Bundyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

You didn't understand what i meant Smile On one page i'm visiting regularly there's an ad (quite large) which is positioned within a table and the table cell has fixed width. That's big problem for me, 'cause when the ad is gone, the readable area still stays quite small. I tried with the "remove object" plugin (dunno if that's the real name of it) and it successfully removed the table cell in which the ad was. I still don't want to do it on every visit though (it's a forum, so that happens every minute at least Smile So i'm stuck, and i decided to ask you for help, i think it'll be a good feature if anyone can customize what exactly to remove. Or at least the parent HTML element - in this case a TD Smile

All my respect, this plugin is my favorite Smile Keep up the good work! Smile
Wolfey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the "Fast Collapse" option in the newest builds...I have no problem with it, except when blocking IFrames - I then have to either disable "Fast Collapse" (the split-second delay can be very noticeable if an IFrame is being blocked - The page will "shift" a bit as a result of the empty space being removed) or use the "Nuke Anything" extension to remove it manually on each visit.

Not saying there's anything wrong with Fast Collapse...But in the previous builds, it didn't exist, and yet AdBlock removed IFrames without a problem, and did it so fast that it was as if the IFrame never existed there in the first place (well, not before using AdBlock, anyway Razz)

I'm just wondering if it is possible that this problem could be fixed in the future, as I'm sure more people will be wondering about why this is happening with IFrames, especially since the issue wasn't present with previous development builds...

...But regardless of this issue with AdBlock, I'll still use it anyway - I've got more space for reading because the ads are gone, and I waste far less time loading stuff I never cared to see in the first place Very Happy
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundyo:
All you had to ask was if Adblock will ever collapse the surrounding space -- to which I would naturally, and calmly, reply "no."
:P

Wolfey:
Rejoice- fastCollapse now hides iframes. This happens via slower-collapsation, but the penalty is only incurred if an iframe is present, so it's negligible. You know where to grab the latest nightly.

now that's a comforting thought. Smile So i'l try to write it myself, if i find some time that is Smile

ok, time for bed now, good night to everybody Smile
rue
Developer

I sympathize, but to accomplish this for the few sites that do, we also have to check on all the sites that don't.
The ruleset to make this work would be sizeable: checking for a parent-container, checking if the container contained anything else, checking if "anything else" was a visible element, then collapsing the container.
For every element. Always.

Nah- not worth it.
Wolfey

rue wrote:
Wolfey:
Rejoice- fastCollapse now hides iframes. This happens via slower-collapsation, but the penalty is only incurred if an iframe is present, so it's negligible. You know where to grab the latest nightly.

I've just updated it in both Mozilla and Firebird (both using dev. build 10; in Firebird, it's also using a brand-new profile), but IFrames still aren't blocked at all if Fast Collapse is enabled, no matter what site I go to Sad

(On the plus side, that "OK" button/applet-related error generated on two sites mentioned in another post doesn't occur anymore Smile)

With builds that have "Fast Collapse" available, IFrames will not be collapsed immediately after blocking if the "Fast Collapse" checkbox is checked - if left unchecked, it works as expected Smile

Also, if "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" is in your user.js file, the value of it can determine whether or not the delay is noticed, depending on what site you're at and how you got there.

On loading a page with blocked IFrames (in Firebird):
(Test sites are my site and GameForms. Unless otherwise noted, the effects mentioned are assumed to occur on both sites.)

No "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" entry:

From another page: Delayed block on my site, (Can't tell at GameForms)
On reload: Delayed block on my site, No delay at GameForms
On forced reload: Delayed block on my site, No delay at GameForms
From the Back/Forward buttons: Delayed block

"nglayout.initialpaint.delay" entry set to 0:

(Same as above for my site; on GameForms, I can't tell if there is a delay on a forced reload.)

"nglayout.initialpaint.delay" entry set to 1000:

From another page: (Can't tell)
On reload: No delay
On forced reload: No delay
From the Back/Forward buttons: No delay on my site, Delayed block at GameForms

I've I did that both with a near-empty list (only including a few items on that page) and a large list exported from my current list in Mozilla. There's no difference in blocking times, so the size of the blocked-ads list doesn't appear to be a factor...

For some reason, in Mozilla, the delay seems to be much larger at GameForms...Not sure why, though.
rue
Developer

Wolfey:
I probably should have added: the penalty is due to a window-timeout that waits for node-insertion before applying visibility:hidden. Playing with the paint-delay doesn't really speed anything up, of course.
I'm uncertain what you meant by "IFrames still aren't blocked". If caught by a filter, they don't download, right?
Assuming you meant "they still cause a render-glitch", that doesn't make sense either. If the nodeName is "iframe", the Fast Collapse routine calls the more thorough routine (which you said does work) to handle the rest. It's working on my machine, both for your site and GameForms.
Can you post a screenshot of the failed blockage?
Bundyo

rue: I understand that collapsing will be bad thing to do on all the sites out there, so that was why i asked for a specific filter option... Smile
Bundyo

oh, and you didn't have to check if there is a visible element in there - after all Adblock removes the Ad, it's just that it leaves a hole there (for this specific case, there's nothing else inside).
rue
Developer

Bundyo:
Again, I sympathize. But it's too niche a feature. Multitudes of niche features result in pleasant extensions like TBE.
One of the prime goals of this project is to keep everything simple. Even your mother should be able to use Adblock.
Bundyo

rue: can you recommend if there is some extension for firebird allowing to run automatic commands, macro or whatever on specific page load?

that'll be the easy way, 'cause i'm not at all good with java Smile
Wolfey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Wolfey:
I'm uncertain what you meant by "IFrames still aren't blocked". If caught by a filter, they don't download, right?

Yeah, they don't download...But the empty space still shows up.
(I just recently tried this out with build 11 in Firebird, and the problem's still there Sad

Also, in build 11, it seems images aren't properly blocked until the page is reloaded, if "Fast Collapse" is enabled...I tried this on the images at mozilla.org, and the placeholders remained until I refreshed the page.)

In the case of GameForms and my site (I tried this at GameFAQs too, but it doesn't happen there), if that empty space is there, and I open up the "Adblock-able Items" window, do anything that blocks the area where the IFrame is at (such as switching to another tab, opening a program and making sure it covers the IFrame's area, or even moving the "Adblock-able Items" window around the area with the IFrame), and then make the IFrame's area visible again, a black area appears where the IFrame would be. I have no idea what would be causing that Question

rue wrote:
Can you post a screenshot of the failed blockage?

Here they are (they're large, though - 75.85 KB for my site, and 282.26 KB for GameForms). I made sure "Fast Collapse" was enabled before taking these, and I have the "Adblock-able Items" pane visible to show that I didn't miss anything connected to those IFrames when blocking them out. The blank areas at the top of both pages (and in the bottom frame of my site) are where those IFrames would be:

GameForms Screenshot
Wolfey's Website Screenshot
rue
Developer

Bundyo:
Post a link to the forum in question, and I'll take a look.

Wolfey:
The shots you took show FastCollapse functioning properly -- the unloaded element still occupying space.
If you could capture the redraw-glitch instead: that's what I'm patching for. I don't actually see it under moz1.3.1 (WaMCom), so I'm patching blind.
Wolfey

Timing's the hard part for getting these...But I think I managed to get them Smile

I had to just show one frame for my site to capture it (I missed it every time with both frames visible - The timing when they were loading kept throwing me off)...But on GameForms, it was much easier to capture. Here's what I can tell, by combining the results from both sites:

When going from one page to another (that has an IFrame), whatever's on the previous site will show up in the IFrame's area for a split-second, get removed and leave the IFrame, and then the IFrame will be removed as well (except for the empty area that's left behind).

Here are the screenshots I got:

GameFAQs-to-GameForms IFrame "Glitch"
Mozilla.org-to-Wolfey's Website IFrame "Glitch"
(This one is split into two images - The top image is what shows up first.)
rue
Developer

Wolfey:
Alright- now we're on the same page.
FastCollapse's patch is also working properly. The same code that "jump-removes" blocked elements when FastCollapse is off, is hiding the iframe when FastCollapse is enabled. There's a redraw before it happens.
All this behaviour is because I haven't determined a way to force reflow on an element. In Adblock's context, just setting "visibility: hidden" does nothing. The current solution uses a window-timeout of zero to set this after reflows have completed. I'm still looking for a better way.
Wolfey

Wow...This is strange - I just installed build 11 in Mozilla (removing build 10), and Fast Collapse is now working as it should - It's also working immediately, just like how blocking was in the older builds Very Happy

As for build 11 being messed up in Firebird...I just un/reinstalled it there as well, and now it's working as it should. I'm not sure what was screwing it up before, though (especially since it was in a fresh profile, and it's the same build number)...That's why I was hesitant to install it in Mozilla.

But, it's working as it should now Cool
Wolfey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm...I just removed/reinstalled Build 11 in Firebird just out of curiosity, and the "Fast Collapse" problem returned. That's odd... Confused
rue
Developer

Try again. Build 12 is posted.
Out of curiousity, I disabled something regarding iframes. I don't experience the redraw-problem, so surprise-feedback like this is my only guage of whether a patch worked. ...Obviously, that didn't work :P
The previous patch is back, and I'll consider that area of code frozen now.
Wolfey

Just upgraded it, in both Mozilla and Firebird - IFrame-blocking with Fast Collapse enabled is working as it should now Smile

In Firebird, I un/reinstalled it again, and IFrame-blocking with Fast Collapse enabled still works, so that seems to be fixed as well Very Happy

(Hopefully it's fixed for good this time - I don't want to jump the gun again, like I did in some of my previous posts Wink)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: