The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yet another scrolling ticker (id="iemarquee")

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: yet another scrolling ticker (id="iemarquee") Reply with quote

http://www.harrysiemens.com/ has yet another of these ##%!! scrolling tickers. I would like to block the motion but I can't figure out offhand how to do it. Disabling javascript globally looks like it might work, but I'd rather not do that. Firebird 0.7, adblock v0.5 d2 Nightly.

I think I've tracked this one down to this javascript element: id="iemarquee". Googling on this leads to this link: http://www.kwsupport.com/csb/samplecode/id191.htm
which looks like it might be related but I'm not skilled enough to be sure.

I do have <marquee> turned off in userContent.css.

I know that the motion doesn't bother other people but I find it very intrusive.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and for reading this.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

n00b:
You should have tried the "List Adblock-able.." pane.
The scroller is the result of two scripts, and this filter catches them: *harrysiemens.com/*/scroll*js
n00b

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it. I did try the "list blockable" before I posted but I wasn't able to come up with a filter that worked. The one you suggested didn't work here for me, either.

If I cutNpaste from your post, then the first script item (I may have made typos)

http://www.harrysiemens.com/inc/scroll_params.js

is in red italic (I presume that means it's blocked, or at least matched by a filter?). If I change the filter slightly to *harrysiemens.com*scroll*js then both that script item and the next show in red italic. But in both cases the ticker just keeps scrolling along<g>. Can you suggest what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

(btw, I would have found it handy to be able to cutNpaste from the "blockable items" window, dunno why I couldn't:)
rue
Developer

n00b:
Red-italic items are blocked, and the textbox shows the filter that matched.
And, you're right- my filter had an extra dash. But, with both scripts properly blocked, the scroller doesn't show on my machine.
Here's the correct filter: *harrysiemens.com/*scroll*js
n00b

Must be something on my machine, then. The List all blockable elements pane (a very useful feature) shows both script Nodes as being blocked by your latest above filter but the ticker keeps scrolling anyway.
rue
Developer

n00b:
Just to be sure: you realize scripts aren't really blocked until you reload the page.. right?
n00b

:-) It's good to be sure.

On this machine, the reported behaviour survives reloading the page and also closing and reloading the browser. And just to confirm, toggling javascript globally and reloading the page also toggles the scrolling.
Wolfey

rue wrote:
n00b:
Red-italic items are blocked, and the textbox shows the filter that matched.

Rue - I really like that idea (it keeps me from being overly redundant on filters Razz), but it's hard to see on some themes if one of those entries has been selected (as the text remains red, and when selecting something, the background color used for a selected item is usually a dark color - Something hard to read red on)...

...Maybe it could show red (hard-coded, regardless of theme) for already-blocked ones when not selected, and when one of those already-blocked entries is selected, the current theme's "disabled" color for text is used, so that it not only can be read when selected, but also shows that it's been blocked? It'd make it a lot easier to read them when they're selected, then Smile

(Also, another suggestion - When one of those already-blocked entries is selected, shouldn't the OK button be disabled, since that particular item has already been blocked, and can't be blocked a second time? Just wondering about this.)
n00b

Another terrific part of this which I just happened to notice is that if you click on a blockable element the relevant part of the page is briefly highlighted.

btw, the at the sample code site I mentioned above, there's a scrolling ticker called tickertape2. Afaics, that particular one doesn't even show as a blockable element.
Wolfey

(EDIT: It might just be my current profile in Mozilla, or some other extension I installed, that's causing what's below to happen - Firebird's not having problems here at all. I'll get an update on this as soon as I can.)

I noticed something interesting at both the "Harry Siemens Home Page" and "Tickertape2" sites: If you try to block anything at either place via the "Adblock-able Items" window, it generates this error in the JavaScript Console:

Error: appletFrame is not defined
Source File: chrome://adblock/content/filterall.js
Line: 276

That line is:
if (appletFrame) appletFrame.style.visibility = "hidden"; }

For the scripts at the Harry Siemens site, the first time you click "OK", the button won't work (and generates the error above - but still adds the entry to the list). But if you click on "OK" a second time, the "OK" button works (no errors, and it adds a that blocked item to the list a second time).
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

n00b:
Re: the Siemens-scroller not disabling -- that's not good. Make sure you've installed the latest nightly from the Dev. page. Nightlies are posted every evening.
Per "tickertape2" not blocking on the sample page -- Adblock doesn't currently block the marquee-element. I just realized it might be possible to change this.. but I'm not sure. I'll post a heads-up to this thread if it lands.

Wolfey:
I'll look into programmatic-css and see if I can set up a behaviour -- "make the text two shades lighter, if the highlight is in this range". It should be do-able.
Regarding the error on li. 276: install the latest nightly, and it should go away. I've been doing a lot of patching for applets these last few days.
n00b

behaviour persists with nightly build 10

however, I may have pinned it down a bit further. Here, on my machine, the ticker is blocked if 'remove ads' is set in adblock prefs, not blocked if hide ads is set.
rue
Developer

n00b:
*Ding!* -- that's the answer.
Hide does nothing for scripts, since there's no logical way to hide them. If they insert another blockable element, it can then be hidden.. but not the script.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: