The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Unloaded" / AdBlock.js Bug

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003    Post subject: "Unloaded" / AdBlock.js Bug Reply with quote

(Copied from my post in the "Notes" page - I didn't see the notice there until after I posted my comment - My fault! :oops:)

Rue,

The updated version of 0.5 d1 fixed the "Unloaded" problem - The current and new windows properly show "AdBlock" when it's enabled, and "Disabled" when it's...Well, disabled :P

As for the problem I'm having, I think it's profile-related (in some cases, it would generate the same error multiple times). Here's what I did (using Mozilla 1.5):
  • Created a new profile
  • Installed AdBlock
  • Closed browser
  • Reloaded browser (crashed on Win2K for some reason, which it did last time I installed AdBlock 0.5 d1 as well - Removed XUL.mfl and it loaded up properly)
  • AdBlock no longer generates errors on right-click blocking or blocking through "AdBlock-able Items"

In Firebird 0.7, the current profile gave a *very* different error, and didn't block the image until the page was reloaded. However, after messing around with uninstalling/reinstalling AdBlock and switching between profiles (unlike with Mozilla, it didn't crash), that bug stopped coming up on my current profile (it never happened at all with the new one).

Something in my current Mozilla profile (possibly an extension, but I'm not sure) is causing it to generate that error, but I'm not sure what. The good thing is, it's not something in AdBlock :)
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003    Post subject: Re: "Unloaded" / Adblock.js Bug Reply with quote

I'm guessing since you're installing profile now, you did the same for the prior v.4 builds.

But.

On the off chance you hadn't: there's a pretty serious bug regarding how v.4 deinstalls from the chrome-overlays. If you'd been installed as root, then tried to reinstall as profile (or vice-versa), unexpected errors would crop up. This carries over when upgrading to v.5. It's slightly complicated, regarding proper removal of empty sequence node in the rdf -- but the short-term fix is simple.

Remove the chrome.rdf and overlays-dir from app::chrome, profile::chrome as well as the xul cache. Whether or not it works, it's at least healthy maintenance.
Wolfey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! :)

After removing those files, restarting Mozilla, and reinstalling a few extensions whose menu entries got removed as a result of deleting said files...I no longer get that error when blocking images, either by right-click or by "AdBlock-able Items"! Thanks for mentioning that, rue - It's just what I needed to fix this problem :D

(Oh, something else I want to mention - With version 0.5 d1, I don't need to block certain sites via the Hosts file [or userContent.css] anymore to get them removed...In fact, doing so [removing blocked sites from Hosts and userContent.css, and re-adding then in AdBlock] has greatly sped up loading times on some of the sites I visit, and even better, thanks to script-blocking, the three tiny table cells that appear on Geocities sites when blocking ads no longer appear!)
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- that's great. I just posted a nightly for sansibar which includes a revised deinstallation-routine. Mozdev's cvs is down, and there's still more to be done before d2 rolls official, but you can grab the nightly here:

Adblock 0.5 d1.2

It should prevent the problem from ever returning.
Wolfey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it - Thanks for putting that up Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: