The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big problems with Mozilla keyboard shortcuts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003    Post subject: Big problems with Mozilla keyboard shortcuts Reply with quote

First I want to start with that Adblock is a killer app.

But there is one extremely annoying problem. I can’t use Ctrl keyboard shortcuts properly!

I’m using Mozilla 1.5 in Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 Swedish.

I have to click on the active webpage in Mozilla and then use a keyboard shortcut.

And Adblock it uses the Ctrl+Shift+F keyboard shortcut for “Overlay Flash”. This keyboard shortcut is used to open a search engine page in Mozilla and I use it several times per hour.

Is there anyway to inactivate shortcuts for Adblock? Until there isn’t I won’t use Adblock.

Daniel

Last edited by danne on Thu Oct 30, 2003; edited 1 time in total
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, Adblock removes any keybindings which conflict. I can add a pref to remove Adblock's instead... But, to try and persuade you otherwise: have you tried using the toolbar-shortcuts property, for searching?
Open the Bookmarks Manager. Right-click a bookmark and select "Properties" -- here, you can set a url like "http://www.google.com/search?q=%s", along with a keyword "g".
Now, typing "g some stuff" into your toolbar automatically searches google.
This is what I use.
danne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Right now, Adblock removes any keybindings which conflict.

Apparently not, because I can't use Ctrl+Shift+F.

But this wasn’t the big problem, previously I couldn't use for example Ctrl+Tab to change webpage without first clicking on the active webpage. But this problem disappeared when I reinstalled Mozilla and Adblock. You know how inconsistent MS Windows is. Wink

But the problem of conflicting key bindings still exists. So it would be a great feature to be able to remove Adblock’s key bindings.

There are though other as good ways to use search engines. In Mozilla 1.5 you just type in what to search for and then use the downward key arrow and press enter. But the URL of this search is saved in the location bar and for me that means I won’t see much else. So it’s not a critical feature, but it would be very appreciated by me. Very Happy
rue
Developer

Uh..
Oh- took me a second: you're attempting to use "Flash Overlay" on pages without any embedded-media. Ctrl+shift+f does work, but only where applicable.
Lastly, the keyword-search I described doesn't alter the weighting on autocomplete; so I think you might like it.
danne

rue wrote:
Oh- took me a second: you're attempting to use "Flash Overlay" on pages without any embedded-media. Ctrl+shift+f does work, but only where applicable.

I want to use Ctrl+Shift+F as a shortcut to google.se. Nothing else.

rue wrote:
Open the Bookmarks Manager. Right-click a bookmark and select "Properties" -- here, you can set a url like "http://www.google.com/search?q=%s", along with a keyword "g".
Now, typing "g some stuff" into your toolbar automatically searches google.

I'm not able to make the above work, but I'll try some more.

Last edited by danne on Thu Oct 30, 2003; edited 1 time in total
danne

I've solved the problem with WinKey by Copernic Technologies Inc. Win+G and I always come to google.se no matter in which program I am. It's working excellent. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem where adblock prevents CTRL-SHIFT-Click from working. This normally opens a link in a background tab, keeping you on the same page where you clicked the link. This feature is very handy for (ironically) forums, where I open a dozen or more threads and let them load in the background. I haven't found a way around it without uninstalling adblock. Any ideas?
Org

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest, take a look at this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: