The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Block Sites bug!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomcar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006    Post subject: Block Sites bug!? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm setting up a "kiosk-computer" (SuSe Linux and FireFox) where it should be impossible to surf all web sites except from some approved sites. I've been searching several days about this without results when I found that AdBlock may be the solution.
But I think I've found a several bug, or maybe it's me missing something.

I've blocked all sites with * and whitelisted the approved sites, and it works perfectly. But when I've surfed to a whitelisted site, all blocked sites is browsable without beeing blocked. Only the images is blocked!
Example:
- When starting FireFox it tries to load the start page www.novell.com/linux which gets blocked: "Adblock - this site has been blocked: * - http://www.novell.com/linux". Good!
- When surfing to a whitelisted site it works perfectly ( http://www.comsolvia.se ). Good!
- Then I press the "home page" button to go back to "http://www.novell.com/linux" the site loads without beeing blocked, but without images. All text is loaded and I can surf every site on the web. Not good!
- After restarting FireFox the blocking works again, until I visit a whitelisted site.

It seems that the "Site Blocking" feature gets disabled when visiting a whitelisted site, and gets enabled again when restarting FireFox...
It seems to me that it's a bug, or have I missed something?

Another issue using AdBlock on a kiosk-computer is that everyone can disable Adblock with the button on the status bar. The only way to resolve this is to disable the status bar. Not very good...

I'm using SuSe Linux 10.1, FireFox 1.5.0.3 and Adblock v.5 d3 nightly 43 (and 42)
FYI: To disable the menus in FireFox I'm using the "Menu Editor" extension, works perfectly!

Please help, is it possible to resolve this bug(?) or is it possible to block all sites but the approved ones another way?

Regards - Tomas C, Comsolvia Sweden
Zachariah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006    Post subject: Re: Block Sites bug!? Reply with quote

tomcar wrote:
... I'm setting up a "kiosk-computer" (SuSe Linux and FireFox) where it should be impossible to surf all web sites except from some approved sites. I've been searching several days about this without results when I found that AdBlock may be the solution...

You're trying to get Adblock to do something it was not designed for. There are much better products/solutions out there for what you want to do.
tomcar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. I know Adblock isn't designed to this, but it has the features l'm looking for. The "Site Block" setting is doing the job perfectly besides this little "feature" I've found...

Can you please tell me which other products doing this job better?
Be aware that I want to block ALL sites out there besides from a few allowed. Everything I've found doesn't. They let me do the opposite; block a few sites but allow every other...

Regards - Tomas C, Comsolvia Sweden
Wladimir Palant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlockSite is better at this but it currently only supports a blacklist - you might want to ask the author about adding whitelists.

However, an internet gateway with filtering capabilities (e.g. WinGate) would be a more robust solution than a Firefox extension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: