The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Luck Blocking Google-Sponsored Ads

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tampa-Terry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006    Post subject: No Luck Blocking Google-Sponsored Ads Reply with quote

Greetings All!

I have the latest version of Firefox, 1.5.0.7. I have the following extensions:

* Adblock v.5
* Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.4
* Customize Google 0.51
* NoScript 1.1.4.3

I have a few other extensions, but the ones I listed above are the ones I downloaded with the hopes of killing Google Sponsored Ads. Is it possible that one is conflicting with or overriding another?

I have NoScript set on the Google site as "Scripts Currently Forbidden."

I have a hosts file with the following lines added:

127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 adservices.google.com

I've tried a number of filters in AdBlock to block Google-Sponsored ads. I've been searching/researching the topic and have tried everything I've seen listed as a solution on the Internet, short of using PROXY and working with and editing JavaScript files because I seem to fall short of fully understanding the instructions and/or understanding my options.

I've searched the site here for Google and found a number of suggestions/fixes/solutions. The problem is that none of them have worked for me.

Is there anyone who can help ... and/or help me troubleshoot things?
Tampa-Terry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a solution to my problem:

* I downloaded the Firefox extension, "Stylish," which is a style manager. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2108/

* Then I went to http://userstyles.org/style/search/google and installed the style "Google Web Search - dark blue redesign (vC)."

Voila! No more Google Sponsored ads!!!

For anyone reading this, being able to try out different styles is really cool. If you don't like the changes that were made, you can removed them just as easily as you installed them.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: