The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ticker motion blocking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003    Post subject: ticker motion blocking Reply with quote

http://www.cjob.com/ The Hot Button is a ticker which I haven't been able to stop moving except by disabling javascript - unfortunately that's global, afaics. (cbc.ca also has a ticker which I have been able to block.) Googling, searching this board, reading the cjob page source haven't helped me. Thanks for reading this and any suggestions - and, of course, for the adblock project.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

n00b:
It's not javascript, it's < marquee >. There used to be a pref to disable the marquee-tag, but so far as I can determine, it's been deprecated.
user_pref("browser.display.enable_marquee", true)
I considered adding blocking for this, but there's really no approach that wouldn't be overkill -- the tag is rarely used, and not terribly invasive. If nobody else cares, I think we'll let this one pass.
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: ticker motion blocking (mostly solved) Reply with quote

Even so, disabling javascript stops the motion and it's the motion which I find most distracting.

Thanks for pointing out that it was <marquee>. Offing this is mentioned here :http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html - and it works.

Unfortunately, it also makes the marquee box bigger but it's at least static.

Thanks for your help.
ed welch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: Re: ticker motion blocking (mostly solved) Reply with quote

n00b wrote:
Even so, disabling javascript stops the motion and it's the motion which I find most distracting.

It's probably not the marquee tag at all then, but a script that uses a timer to animate the text. This can be disabled by adding this line to user.js:

user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.setTimeout", "noAccess");
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source of that page -- which, btw, is public -- shows nothing but a marquee-tag. I'm guessing marquee_enable was simply wrapped into the javascript-pref. Which also implies the backend for this tag is also javascript.
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003    Post subject: Re: ticker motion blocking (mostly solved) Reply with quote

ed welch wrote:
n00b wrote:

It's probably not the marquee tag at all then, but a script that uses a timer to animate the text. This can be disabled by adding this line to user.js:

user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.setTimeout", "noAccess");

This doesn't seem to work. A quick check turning <marquee> back on, adding the above and restarting firebird 0.7 and the text starts scrolling again.

I've no idea what the basic cause is but I now have two ways of stopping the text from scrolling, either of which seems to work:
- turn off javascript globally, or
- turn off <marquee>.

I'm mostly happy with the latter even if the text box expands for some reason (iirc it does with both solutions anyway:), so I've gone back to sleep.

Thankyou for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: