The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock v0.5 d3 nightly 42 conflicts with FF 1.5.0.3 new tab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006    Post subject: Adblock v0.5 d3 nightly 42 conflicts with FF 1.5.0.3 new tab Reply with quote

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060326 Firefox/1.5.0.3 (Debian-1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-2)

Hi,

It appears that Adblock v0.5 d3 nightly 42 conflicts with new tab in FF 1.5.0.3 .

Problem: Open a page that contains links to blocked sites. Press Ctrl + click on a blocked site link. FF 1.0.8 would normally open a new tab and show a message that the site is blocked in the new tab. That's how it should be.

In FF 1.5.0.3 the "This site is blocked" message is shown in the original tab, which is bad because it overwrites the original content and it needs to be re-retrieved.

Anyone else is having this issue? Any way to fix it? Thanks
Wladimir Palant

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's "Site Blocking" (and I don't even start commenting on this "feature"). You can disable it in the Adblock options.
rusty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wladimir Palant wrote:
You can disable it in the Adblock options.

Why would I want to do that?? I like Site Blocking, I find it very useful, I know AdBlockPlus doesn't have and that's one of the reasons I'm not using it.
Wladimir Palant

Out of curiosity - why do you need site blocking? So far I heard only one reason why Adblock should block a page you explicitely requested and it wasn't very convincing.

PS: The issue you found is definitely not the only problem caused by site blocking.
rusty

Wladimir Palant wrote:
Out of curiosity - why do you need site blocking?

Because I want a site blocked. Completely. What is it in Site Blocking concept you find so difficult to comprehend?

P.S. One thing I would recommend is that you consider changing the name of your project from AdBlockPlus to something else. Technically, AdBlockPlus infringes on and deludes the AdBlock trade mark (it's not important that AdBlock trade mark was never registered, it was used). AdBlock was first and AdBlockPlus appeared later and there's a good chance for a user confusion between the two... and you do not want to confuse your users, right?

Think about it, in my opinion it's a good thing to do, for I find it confusing talking about AdBlock and AdBlockPlus in the same message without clarifying that I mean the real AdBlock.
Wladimir Palant

rusty wrote:
Because I want a site blocked. Completely. What is it in Site Blocking concept you find so difficult to comprehend?

Everything, because there is no concept. If you hate this site, why do you navigate to it? Please show me a use case for this feature, AFAICT this is something nobody would ever use (other than for moral retribution: "I have your site blocked! Completely! Take this!").

I've seen people who thought they could block popups this way - but you still get a popup even though it is a "nice" Adblock message instead of the usual popup content. That's not exactly less annoying. The built-in popup blocker does a better job of course.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply in the thread at http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=3044 may (someday) hold the answer for those who want sites blocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: