The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firefox as proxy itself?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exec228

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006    Post subject: Firefox as proxy itself? Reply with quote

salut folks!

can i make my browser to be a proxy itself, so adblock-filtered html could be seen by other software?

i mean i have web site leech software (such as teleport or offline explorer), and it downloads all the adverts from it as well.

i would like to use setup (and output) of adblock to pass it to those leech software.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

peerguardian running on a router (or on linux) is more likely to be able to do what you want

I'm pretty sure what you're asking is outside the scope of the Adblock project.

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
exec228

thanks for answer!

although this topic seems to be irrelevant to adblock, i suppose that it is related, since i'm interested in adblock filtered html output (too provide it to leeching software).

without adblock, i see no use in making a proxy server out of a browser (any freeware soft can do that, and even windows itself).

if you mean a filtering proxy (squid, naoko, admuncher or something like that), there will be no sense in adblock itself, because i will tune filters at proxy only (i don't want to duplicate by work). and fx will loose a principal (from my p.o.v) advantage over opera.
Zachariah

I didn't say it was irrelevant, I said it was (probably) outside the scope of the project.

Of course Adblock is opensource, so if anyone wanted to write your functionality, they could.

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
exec228

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
yes, i know that i may code it myself, but...
could the scope of adblock project be a bit reconsidered? Wink
afaik suggestions are on-topic here, so i also may propose suggestions Rolling Eyes
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you're on-topic, and suggestions are welcome -- I'm just letting you know that I doubt the scope will be widened by the origninal developers

but, someone may come along, read your post, and decide to create a spin-off of adblock with that feature
exec228

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance that developers will see this thread?
eskeradi

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but, someone may come along, read your post, and decide to create a spin-off of adblock with that feature

If i keep up my homework, and graduate by june, i may revive the best version of adblock.. "adblock plus 0.5" and I will NOT drop any features mcm added but i will add requested features, and fix the current bugs in adblock plus .5

this version will be directed at advanced users.. who want full control over ads, but i'll keep it friendly for new users.
Wladimir Palant

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

eskeradi wrote:
and I will NOT drop any features mcm added

Simply out of interest - which features would this be?

eskeradi wrote:
any chance that developers will see this thread?

Adblock developers in the official Adblock forum? Seems rather unlikely. I hope my answer will do as well.

Generally - yes, this is possible. You can make Firefox work like an HTTP proxy server and let Adblock (Plus) check the requests. There are several limitations, for example the options "Collapse blocked elements" and "Check banner links" can't be implemented. But these are minor.

However, writing a proxy server requires quite some work. And this feature is more than peripheral to Adblock - it should be an extension on its own, simply integrating nicely. If you get some more or less experienced extension developer interested I can point him into the right direction. And integration with Adblock Plus 0.7 is not a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: