The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banning Adblock users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveFark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006    Post subject: Banning Adblock users Reply with quote

Hi,

I was just wondering if it was possible to ban Adblock users from my website by interpreting a Adblock header for example?

This is because without the income from the adverts on my site I wouldn't be able to pay for my servers, hence people blocking the adverts shouldn't be able use my bandwidth for free.

Please feel free to tell me how I'm wrong. Thanks,

Steve
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to read the environmental chemistry thread

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
kzil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006    Post subject: Re: Banning Adblock users Reply with quote

Quote:

This is because without the income from the adverts on my site I wouldn't be able to pay for my servers, hence people blocking the adverts shouldn't be able use my bandwidth for free.

Guess we'll just have to miss out on your precious content, then.
erple2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006    Post subject: Re: Banning Adblock users Reply with quote

SteveFark wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering if it was possible to ban Adblock users from my website by interpreting a Adblock header for example?

Please feel free to tell me how I'm wrong. Thanks,

Steve

No, you're right.

But I can tell you why I use AdBlock, despite your correct feeling that you'd like to have people see the adverts that you show.

FIrst of all, I have noticed that certain advertising sites are particularly slow to release their referring advertisements, whether from the adsite being heavily loaded from traffic for the 5 million requests per minute or whatever reason. How many times do you visit a site, only to have a "conenction - waiting for ads.some.slow.adsite.com" sit for more than 10 seconds? The worst part is that the content (aka the part that I'm really interested in going to your site over some other site) of the site doesn't fill in until after those particular portions are loaded. For one, that makes me want to somehow block all content from the offending link (not the site, but the place that the slow adverts come from). I understand that one of the whole points of the advertising sites is that the bandwidth that is used to send the advert to the user isn't yours, but there has to be a better way to actually get that content in a non-disruptive fasion.

Second point. Flashing ads. Nuff said.

That's not to say that I think all ads should be blocked! Just the "stupid" ones. So that brings it all down to the real point - how do you differentiate between dumb ads and smart ads? The user can't. The website maintainers can, though. Have code in your site which sets a very short timeout for remote images/advertisements (not 30 seconds or infinite, which seems to be the norm). Or, have the page stream all of the content first to the users, then fetch the ads (I know, I know, that's not really how the http protocol works exaclty, but there's GOT to be a way to do that in javascript).

The problem is that AdBlock wouldn't exist if it weren't for people abusing users (aka the customer) horribly. Remember, your site exists to serve it's users, not advertising companies. If you lose your core market (aka users due to bad advertising), then what's the point of having adverts? It doesn't help you out much at all.
Blockeroonie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no way to tell. All info gets sent to my browser, I choose what to display. There is a feature where the blocked content is never downloaded (which I would trun off), by which you might keep logs on your users (if there's a login), and you could ban someone who never seems to download ad content. That's your right, if you can implement it.

Animated, inline, flash based, audio, and inappropriate ads. I might whitelist a site if it were requested and the ads weren't annoying. Otherwise you'd have to force me to choose between adblock or your content - and you'd probably lose Wink
IceDogg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably? Wink
hoqenishy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006    Post subject: Re: Banning Adblock users Reply with quote

SteveFark wrote:
Hi,

Yes, here's an easy way to ban anyone from coming to your site to view ads:

1.) Host all content on your computer using the IIS feature in Windows XP
2.) Adjust your DNS record to point to "127.0.0.1"

And there you have it - a 100% completely hack-proofed way of ensuring that not a single person will block ads on your site.

In other news, cable and satellite companies have been trying to ban DVRs for years, yet I still have one. It's my TV, running on my paid-for power, in my living room, using my cable subscription, and on my own time. I can choose to watch anything that entertains me, and strip out anything that doesn't. There is no agreement or contract that says I must watch commercials, and even if there was, it wouldn't be reasonable or feasible and I would continue doing what I'm doing.

My browser is the same way. If you're interested in sponsoring a shiny new 19' monitor on my desktop, or paying for my cable bill, you can contact me and we can work out an agreement where you actually own a portion of my computing experience. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll have to settle with simply serving HTML code publicly.

You can certainly try to defeat adblockers, but just by the fact you're on here, it means that you don't have the ingenuity to do it yourself. Besides, I've not had any "block adblockers" script keep me out of a site for more than 30 minutes (hats off to EnvironmentalChemistry, where it took more than simply disabling JavaScript Smile ). So, it's your choice - do you want to spend hours customizing code to keep adblockers out and ultimately fail?
Drahken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One highly effective way to prevent people from seeing your content while blocking ads would be to serve the content from a directory that contains one or more commonly blocked strings (ie, "ads" or "doubleclick", etc). Then if people have ads blocked, they also have your site blocked (which is effectively the same as you blocking them from your site). This would be almost 100% effective if you used the same string as the advertising company/ies you're using (ie "yoursite.com/doubleclick/great-page.htm" with ads from doubleclick). If you're using (and are familiar with) some form of server-side scripting like PHP, you could have "yoursite.com/index.htm" contain a message telling people to unblock ads, then use PHP to overwrite it with the actual content (which will be served from the secured directory) in such a way so that visitors will get the actual content if they're not blocking ads, or the message page if they are blocking.

People running a site have as much right to try to block me for filtering ads as I have to block their ads. Likewise, I have as much right to try to bypass their blockade as they have to set it up in the first place, and they have as much right to try to block me from bypassing, etc, etc, ad infinitum. If someone tries to block me, I will either find a way around the block, or if I can't (or just don't feel like wasting that much effort), I'll simply go elsewhere. Very few sites have content which can't be found on at least a dozen others sites. If you want to lose visitors, that's your choice.
democritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006    Post subject: How to NOT NEED to block AdBlock users: Reply with quote

The topic is off. You can't stop adblock users because you don't own the internet, control their browser, or have access to their OS.

What you CAN do is rephrase the question.

[b]"How do I make sure Adblock users can see my ads?"[/b]

I use adblock, noscript, and a custom hosts file. I haven't seen a doubleclick ad in months. I still see ads though. Text based ads. HTML based ads. ALT tags for images that were blocked. The difference is in the HOST.

Any ad that is an actual part of your domain, or carried on your bandwidth, AND is not flash, a gif, or javascript is still viewed by me.

You can safely host advertising, but you'll have to use your brain a little more. I'm not insulting you. I'm telling you that you'll have to do more work, but you'll make more money.

Contact google or any other REPUTABLE advertiser and read their instructions. Let them teach you how to patch ads into your site without getting blocked.

ONE WARNING:

Don't abuse this ability, because if you do host a lot of annoying shinola on your site, then I will do what all users do: Block your site, and add it to the adblock list. Then I won't see you or your ads at all.

Good luck.
"One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however much we have suffered from him."
- Socrates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: