The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quickblock makes me sad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyallen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006    Post subject: Quickblock makes me sad Reply with quote

I've been a long time user of AdBlock, and love it. It's a great way to cut down on the amount of distractions on the web.

As a web developer of a new AJAX application, it's driving me nuts. My application relies on shift-dblclick working as expect, and by default, AdBlock blocks it, for use in quickblock. This sucks. This is an almost completely unadvertised feature (the only place I can find reference to it is in forums and on other web apps with similar problems), and it's on by default. Not only that, but there's no indication what blocked the shift-dblclick. Just to rub salt in the wounds some more, the only way I can see to disable it is to press shift-ctrl-k, which changes the underline status of the Adblock word in the status bar - something that's incredibly subtle and nondiscoverable

As a site that's likely targetting a lot of folks that may have this extension installed, I'm at a loss for what to do, other than to change the behavior of my application (which isn't all that feasible). Another option is to put a writeup about it in a FAQ, but even then, trying to correctly explain the steps a user needs to do to turn off quickblock isn't particularly appealing, and it's likely that a fair number of users won't even bother to look at the FAQ.

Is there any way the developers could be persuaded to make this feature off by default? My arguement for why this might be acceptable is that unless you know this feature is there, you're not going know to use it anyway. Thus, it shouldn't be a big deal to turn it on, once you learn about it.

I've seen a number of posts to the effect of "why did my text just disappear", which indicates that it's not only affecting web applications that rely on shift-dblclick, but also just users of adblock.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Alan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006    Post subject: Re: Quickblock makes me sad Reply with quote

I could be wrong of course, but I doubt rue will make the change you request. I've heard that Adblock Plus 0.6.6.1 by Wladimir Palant does not use Quickblock and is more actively supported by its developer than Adblock. I think your users may do better by switching to that ad blocking extension. I'm sorry I can't get Adblock changed for you but I hope this suggestion helps somewhat.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 - Build ID: 2006011112
scottyallen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can help me understand the thought behind the way this feature a little bit more. It's not advertised at all, and has a very undiscoverable interface, both to use it, and to turn it on and off. I guess it seems like the best thing to do, for everyone involved, would be either to embrace it further (ie, document and expose the ability to turn it on and off), or to turn it off by default, so it doesn't cause problems for unsuspecting users.

Am I missing something here?
Alan

scottyallen wrote:
Am I missing something here?

Yes. I agree with you completely. Your observation is so correct that it's been made before. But still Adblock has not changed. It is what it is. If you want an ad blocking extension that's more user-friendly you'll probably have to look elsewhere as I suggested. Thank goodness we now have a choice!

Note in my sig that I'm using yet another alternative. I don't recommend it to your users because it has the same implementation of Quickblock as original Adblock.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
scottyallen

Ok, fair enough:) Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the situation. I wish it was as simple as just recommending a different plugin to my users, but unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll always get a chance to do that - to many, it may just look like my application is broken, which is unfortunate.
Zachariah

first thing I do when installing Adblock is CTRL+Shift+K (2x) until there's no underline

perhaps this should be the default upon install, and Quckblock should be enabled when the user wants it -- I dunno ... is it better to have features on or off by default?

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
Alan

Zachariah wrote:
is it better to have features on or off by default?

Scotty has made an eloquent case for Quickblock off by default.

By the way, I just noticed that the Quickblock default in Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2 is "off" -- another nice touch made by mcm while he was enhancing and bug-fixing Adblock.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
scottyallen

What's the current development status on Adblock itself? Is it still being actively developed? It's not real clear from the website. That might change things slightly, if Adblock Plus eventually becomes the norm...
Alan

rue released a new version of Adblock just over a month ago. On the other hand rue abandoned Adblock in the past for over a year, and he hasn't replied to any postings since Jan 18 -- including a whitelisting filter bug report made by AmirG and me over three weeks ago. I think Adblock Plus 0.6 etc. will eventually become the norm but I'm sticking with Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2 until 0.6 matures.
--
Adblock Plus 0.5.11.2
Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.4
scottyallen

Cool, thanks Alan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: