The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock crashing FF always at Yahoo Mail even when disabled.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zegway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006    Post subject: Adblock crashing FF always at Yahoo Mail even when disabled. Reply with quote

I can faithfully recreate the crash. Hit compose at Yahoo mail, then hit the back arrow. If that doesnt crash FF then hit the forward arrow and it's crashed. This happens even when Adblock is disabled. The only way to stop it is to unistall Adblock. With Adblock uninstalled, I can use Yahoo mail indefinitely without a single crash. With Adblock, FF crashes every few minutes at Yahoo mail. Obviously I use Yahoo mail lots and so Adblock is unusable to me unless I use IE for yahoo mail instead. Otherwise Adblock is AWESOME everywhere else I have tested it. Thanks for working on it and good luck!

-phil
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what versions?
zegway

All versions, including the latest. This has been an ongoing thing for months for me. I even reinstalled windows and then installed FF 1.5. Nothing else installed into windwos, no other extensions installed into FF. Are you telling me that you cannot reproduce this error on your end?
Fox

Reinstalled windows over old one?
Is it then possible that Firefox profile is same?
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
zegway

no way. clean install only. new partition. This is an ongoing problem for many people. Did you see that 310 people have already viewd my original post from only 1 week ago. RUE originally replied to me with this: I disabled the ajax-intercept, by default, now. Try the new build: linked.

It worked great, but then after I updated to the latest update just 2 days later, the problem reoccured. I went back and reinstalled that specific build that RUE linked me to, but I think that link now links to the latest build. Is there a specific build that has the ajax intercept disabled?

thanks
-phil
harlekino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006    Post subject: Re: Adblock crashing FF always at Yahoo Mail even when disab Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not very good in english so please dont be to harsh to me Smile. For me Yahoo - Mail works only if I block the *mailcommonlib.js - maybe there is something in that script that in conjunction with adblock makes the FF crash! If I dont block that script FF crashes with Yahoo-Mail. I first thougt it has something to do with my operating system wich is NT4 (please dont laugh) Smile but I had the same behaviour also at my Job-Computer with W2K and one with WinXP.

Just my 2 cents,
Harlekino

FF 1.5.0.1, adblock 0.5.3.042 (latest)
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved this to keep it in this thread:
keops wrote:
no one listens here. they don't understand that with this problem, this addon is almost useless! why can't you just fix the damn bug? Sad

keops, I'm sorry you feel that way -- this project is done by volunteers ... at volunteer speed.

harlekino, As far as the Yahoo Mail problem goes, that's some good info you provided.

I personally can't get Yahoo Mail to crash. I'm using Filterset.g, the autoupdater, Firefox 1.5.0.1 (freshly installed), and Adblock v5d3n42

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
harlekino

>harlekino, As far as the Yahoo Mail problem goes, that's some good info >you provided.

Glad to hear that!

>I personally can't get Yahoo Mail to crash. I'm using Filterset.g, the >autoupdater, Firefox 1.5.0.1 (freshly installed), and Adblock >v5d3n42[/quote]

I can subscribe to that because i made some aditional Tests on other Computers available to me and there FF dont crash!

On the other hand I have to say to those who take my "solution": without the mailcommonlib.js you can use only basic Mail frontend functionality! (read, compose send mail), you cannot change settings (colors of the mail-frontend etc.)

Regards,
Harlekino
zegway

Im using adblock plus now and there is no problems.

-P
harlekino

>Im using adblock plus now and there is no problems.

Thats fine for you! But, Smile adblock+ seems to use a similar engine as the "normal" adblock because the problem occurs with adblock+ also! (I've testit) Sad

Ciao,
Harlekino
zegway

Well yes, Adblock Plus IS the original engine that Adblock is built on, BUT... I am NOT having any crashes AT ALL with adblock plus. It hasnt crashed one sigle time yet !

I know people are writing that they dont have the problem that I outlined, but I have tried it on multiple machines including a test machine of a fresh windows xp install with the latest firefox... and it still happens.

Obviously there is another variable involved that no one has yet identified as being the culprit...

-P
harlekino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Obviously there is another variable involved that no one has yet identified as being the culprit...

Maybe it is helpfull to say that at crash time it says that FF caused an error on MSVCRT.DLL (The debugger says "Unhandled exception in MSVCRT.DLL")

another 2 cents,
Harlekino
zegway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006    Post subject: no one cares about this major glitch Reply with quote

yeah I would say that is helpful, but obviuosly no one cares which is why I switched to the origianl Adblock, now called adblock plus. I havent had a single problem with it once. You said you tried it and got the same error. I find that strange. Have you done a complete uninstall and clean re-install of FF ?

-phil
ecor1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same problem with yahoo mail, it crashed badly everytime I tried to compose a mail. Itz all becoz of adblock or adblock+.
I followed a simple solution, which is below..

Goto Adblock or Adblock+,
Then to "Preferences"
then add following filter to the list of filter rules.

@@yahoo.com

That should work .... after that I didn't had any problems and itz working fine...
All the best
zegway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006    Post subject: thanks man Reply with quote

ecor1 -- Thank you. I will try this If I ever go back to adblock. For now I will stick with Adblock Plus since I havent had a single problem in weeks. I use Yahoo mail 10x a day at least. Thank you for the reply!

http://phil.crepeau.org
khena

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006    Post subject: Ad block plus not working either Reply with quote

OK, mine crashes everytime I close the tab that has Yahoo mail loaded.

If I disable Adblock, no crashes. Adblock or Adblock plus have the same problem.

Using FF 1.5.0.1 on WinXP Pro.

Any ideas?
zegway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well have you tried what ecor1 is saying 4 posts above mine... ?

If so, then did you try doing a complete uninstall of FF as described in another thread?

I dont have any problem at all with adblock plus. I use yahoo mail at least 10x a day.

-p
davidsoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006    Post subject: Fix Has Been Discovered Reply with quote

See:

http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp4359-adblockplus.html#4359

npYState.dll is in Program Files\Yahoo!\Shared. Find it and rename it npYState.dll.off and restart Firefox or Seamonkey and Adblock+ should work without crashing. I didn't try it with Adblock but my guess it will probably work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: