The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site Blocking + Redirection Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
achuggard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006    Post subject: Site Blocking + Redirection Problems Reply with quote

Hey guys, My name is Charlie and I'm a grad student at the University of Missouri. I'm having an interesting issue with Adblock, maybe you could help me figure it out.

At my apartment complex, our ISP definately takes the cake as far as stupid ISPs go. My complex has a cable connection put into a router (controlled by the ISP) and we're issued private IP addresses. As a result the router does all of the DNS lookups etc. and, sometimes when I'm trying to use legitimate sites (i.e. mail.yahoo.com or www.missouri.edu) I get redirected to a site they're plugging called www.buydomains.com.

I turned on Site blocking, and put "*.buydomains.com" into my filter list (without the quotes of course, and whenever my ISP redirects me there, I still wind up going to that page (sans quite a few graphics, but I'd rather have the Adblock page come up). Once I click on refresh however, the adblock page returns.

For example today I tried to go to http://ebill.missouri.edu
My ISP sent me to http://www.buydomains.com/home.jsp?domain=missouri.edu&track=true&referrer=&cm_mmc=
(This is visible in the Address box, and the text of the page loads)
I click refresh and I get the standard site blocked page.

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Charlie Huggard
ach343 at mizzou dot edu | achuggard at gmail dot com

Running:
MacOS X 10.4.4
Firefox 1.5
Adblock v.5 d3 * nightly 42
Org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my ISP is concerned, the DNS name ebill.missouri.edu doesn't exist.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's possible that that domain is only available while actually connected to the university's network

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
achuggard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Org wrote:
As far as my ISP is concerned, the DNS name ebill.missouri.edu doesn't exist.

This is true (I found out today that it is supposed to be ebill.umsystem.edu) However this does not change the problem with my ISP that when I (and others in my apartment complex) are using yahoo mail or other well known legitimate sites as well we'll be sporadically redirected to this site. It still would be nice even if I have an improper DNS Address that the buydomains site should be blocked from loading even its text by Adblock (under its site blocking capibilities).

Regards, C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: