The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

proposal: G's list as the list recommended in the sticky

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004    Post subject: proposal: G's list as the list recommended in the sticky Reply with quote

G's list is excellent and gives almost NO false positives, none that I've found at least. It is also updated regularly.

Who here, aside from me, thinks it should be "the" list recommended in the sticky at the top of the forum? It is more powerful and more effective than the current list.
Dra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea. Just tried it now. Thanks for the link. I haven't tried many but these are the best I've used and these ones are updated often.
ShunterAlhena

Guest, I totally agree with you.
JPWhite

I believe G's list should be downloadable from the adblock menu, newbies who don't want to develop a filterset from scratch would have a quick and easy way to improve their browsing experience.

G's list has one 'grey area' of blocking that could be considered false positives by some and not by others. Site counters and statistics provided by bravenet are blocked because the filterset blocks the entire bravenet domain. G said that he has had many more requests to block such counters versus a few website owners (like me ) that would prefer to see them. Majority rules.

Suggestions and questions are responded to very quickly and incorporated into the filterset pretty much overnight. I support the idea of a G filterset sticky thread.

JP
Ieremiou

Eh don't consider the people who don't care to make a filterset newbies.
We're just lazy and like to benefit from other people's work.
But I digress.

Really G's Filterset is the only filterset that I know of being developed on you could say. It's updated fairly frequently. Which is pretty awesome I might say.

Rarely a false positive unless the sites do certain things say like www.startrek.com that cause them to have some of their images blocked but G told me once Adblock gets a whitelist that will fix itself. Razz

/Ieremiou
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but AdBlock has stagnated so badly that even a completely reasonable request to ad G's list to a sticky, so that beginners can find a recent default filter set, go completely unanswered. Who is maintaining this forum?
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, "completely unanswered"?

You do realize that it's been only ONE day since this thread was even created, and that there have been four productive and useful answers? (not including your own, of course...)

As it says at the top of the main forum page, moderators for this forum include kstahl, Henrik, rue, and myself.

rue has the ultimate authority on this forum, so even if either kstahl or I stickied the post, it might be unstickied when rue returns (he's vanished from IRC for the last week or so.)

There's also the question of size: G's filterlist is roughly nine times longer than the two stickied filterlist combined.

I agree that it is, based purely on breadth and accuracy, a better filterlist than the stickied ones, but for someone not well-versed in regular expressions (e.g. the majority of the ~1.3 million downloads of Adblock from UMO), I think it's just a little too daunting to have the entire thing be used as the default list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I hate to say it, but AdBlock has stagnated so badly that even a completely reasonable request to ad G's list to a sticky, so that beginners can find a recent default filter set, go completely unanswered. Who is maintaining this forum?

Hey, Adblock is a Labor of Love being offered free to all. These guys probably also have real jobs and familes which are more important ... if there is one thing that using a computer has taught me the past five years it's this: BE PATIENT!!

Take care,
Acadia
Acadia

Hmmmm, I ended up posting as a "Guest" instead of myself. I keep asking the Log In to remember me but it is not. I am allowing aasted.org and mozdev.org cookies but I keep getting logged out?! (Take your time answering this) Wink

Acadia
idbehold

Anonymous wrote:
Guest wrote:

Hey, Adblock is a Labor of Love being offered free to all. These guys probably also have real jobs and familes which are more important ... if there is one thing that using a computer has taught me the past five years it's this: BE PATIENT!!

Take care,
Acadia

...or use better/more frequently updated software
Ieremiou

One too many threads about if adblock is dead or stagnate or something else. We need to merge some threads or close some and make some basic stickies to stop this multithread issue. It's a bit of a waste and it junks up the forum in my opinion.

Like sticky the ultimate filterlist (in my opinion)
And make a sticky about the status of Adblock to stop this annoying rabble of adblock users. (nice i think)

Just my opinions and not necessary to employ.
I just want to help make a better forum Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: