The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ad block blocking Firefox buttons

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005    Post subject: Ad block blocking Firefox buttons Reply with quote

Hi there,
I noticed recently that SpreadFirefox.com buttons and more at other various sites are not being displayed with Ad block on. This definitely didnt happen before. I want to establish which of the three or more is where the problem is and then what changes need to be made:

1. SpreadFirefox - perhaps as Mozilla buttons work, but many sites others dont

2. Ad block

3. Filterset G

If some people can help advise here and even do some testing I'd be grateful to then sort this out!
Thanks!
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your filterset here so we can take a look at it, specifically the filters that you have in addition to Filterset G.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand what you mean, I have none other than Filterset G, and its upto date, thats it. No other changed settings, additions, nothing. Simply Ad block v5 d2 nightly 39 and Filterset G upto date!?
Alan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005    Post subject: Re: Ad block blocking Firefox buttons Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I noticed recently that SpreadFirefox.com buttons and more at other various sites are not being displayed with Ad block on.

I don't know what you mean, as it seems to work just fine for me. I think you need to provide more details before we can help.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
Adblock_Plus_0.5.9.2_enh.xpi
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you press Ctrl + Shift + B and then press F5 does the problem go away ?
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl shift B, then F works! It reloads the page and the buttons on the SFx homepage appear. Reloading it blocks them again. This is happening for a lot of people.

As said, really, I just have the latest Ad Block, with the latest Filterset G. Nothing is different at all, I've added nothing, changed no settings. So just get Ad Block, try it with Filterset G all upto date, and can some people confirm this please. That way we can establish what needs changing/fixing. Thankyou.
G

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless something has changed, you need Adblock Plus and Filterset.G-Whitelist-Beta.
philippe_tin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also happens to me. I just download the adblock(latest version)and do nothing with setting.Some website link can't be clicked! But when i make it "Disabled" , after refreshing(F5) and it's ok? what's problem with it?? Could anybody help me?
ffuser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Unless something has changed, you need Adblock Plus and Filterset.G-Whitelist-Beta.

i have Adblock Plus latest and Filterset.G with whitelist-beta. (using Filterset.G updater.)
buttons on http://explorerdestroyer.com/ do not work.
try all three demos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So were no closer to resolving this. This is quite a big issue. All users of Ad block cannot see SpreadFirefox and other buttons. They cannot identify sites who support Firefox, SFx, and if they want to, have to use the deadly IE. They're standard buttons that should not be blocked.

Can we please get some info on whether first this is something on Ad Block, Filterset G's part!? Most likely the latter?
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at "Tools->Adblock Plus->Filterset.G Updater". Make sure that "Use User-defined filters" is unchecked then force an update on the next tab. My guess is that there is other filters besides G's that are causing the problem.
Drahken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button on that explorerdestroyer site is not actually a "spreadfirefox" button. It is actually a google ad. If you have google's pageads blocked, you will have that image blocked as well.
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CLTLnfzboemo4gEQeBg8Mgj83GMmmgrITg&ai=B6iWEX457Q9iuOYueaNP2-Y4G44CgDdnjmc4BxY23AQAQASDVs_8BSKI5UIPj0QKgAbWVyP0DyAECgAIBlQIKGpoY

I'll wager that most other sites on which the firefox buttons are blocked are also using the google ads. It would be helpful if more people posted links to sites where the buttons don't work so as to prove or disprove this theory, and to fix the problem.

What I wonder though, is what difference does it make it spreadfirefox buttons are blocked? If you're using adblock, you're already aware of firefox (if you're not actually using it, you are using mozilla or some other such browser and are still aware of FF).
Crogon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005    Post subject: Enable the friggin whitelist already! Reply with quote

Here's my post from spreadfirefox.com

Quote:
Adblock Filterset G killing banner buttons
Submitted by Crogon on Wed, 12/07/2005 - 22:46.

I can guaranty it does. I noticed my button was missing from my blog (crogon.blogspot.com) I researched where it went. The Adblock Filterset G updater adds this line:

/[/&](affiliates?|revenue)((.*\d+x)?\d+|\.pl|\.swf|fuel|/(banner|script)s?/)/

the 'affililiates' portion unfortunately whacks all of the spreadfirefox buttons. :'(

My opinion is that the spreadfirefox team should create a new link that doesn't contain 'affiliates' for us to change to. We obviously can't just kill the current link, no ones banners would work. Razz

Very unfortunate situation, I'm sure the Filterset G people would be horrified if they knew they were killing all the spreadfirefox.com banner buttons. Wink

Little did I know. Here's my post from the filterset.g forum:

Quote:
I have the same problem currently. If it makes a difference, Win2000, FF 1.5, current filterset.g (as far as I know, downloaded from FF update site) the use whitelist checkbox is grayed out (but appears to be checked anyway), the version block says whitelist not installed. filterset.g is version 2005-10-31a and I just tried to force an update.

Am I missing something?

[pre-post EDIT]
Ok, I just found the instructions for the whitelist beta. Are you kidding me?? I have to go to a different site to get adblock +, then MANUALLY update filterset and the whitelist every time after that?? That's the whole reason I installed filterset.g, automatic updates. Not much of a solution. Are there any permanent solutions? I'm sure a few million people have adblock installed, do I need to go visit their forum to ask them to enable the whitelist in an update or something?

What gives? How long has that whitelist been in beta??? Enable it already, Millions of people use adblock, and I'm sure 90% of them have no CLUE why their buttons are missing. Stuff like this is why less informed users revert back to IE. Shock Razz Please please PLEASE enable the whitelist, so that people doing normal updates of adblock and filter.g from the firefox update site wake up one morning and discover that everything is fixed! Very Happy
Crogon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest post at the fitlerset.g forum:
Quote:
Alan wrote:
I hope this helps. Really.

Immensely. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Anyway, sorry if I came off that way.

Someone should do an update on the instructions to get the whitelist working then. The way it reads now, is that after you enable the whitelist, you have to take care of updates on your own (manually). It's good to know that you guys are on the ball though. I think the thing that needs to be done now is:

a) Preferred method. Adblock enables their whitelist, so that the millions of people who use it can just update one day, and discover that everything is fixed! Very Happy

b) 'It'll do' method. Adblock + submits their software as a Firefox extension, or a combo of some sort. At least that way eventually most people will see it and know they need to upgrade, even if they don't know why.

..and let's face it, the VAST majority of people have no clue how this stuff works. 70% of them couldn't understand the instructions to get it enabled in the first place. Ok, maybe closer to 80%. I want to get everyone I know using Firefox, but older people and those who haven't had much exposure to computers run into this kind of thing and say 'Oh, the hell with it'. Then they revert to IE, then they get in trouble again, then I (or someone else) get called out to clean off their computer for the umpteenth time. Needlessly, in my mind. I'd rather they spent their money upgrading stuff, and spending on things they need or that interest them, than spend it on getting things back to normal. Firefox (with Adblock) can do that, if we can K.I.S.S. (ie: Keep It Simple Stupid).

I already started a thread at Adblock, no reponse yet. Razz I'll bop on over to the Adblock + site and see if I can spark any interest there. Smile Thanks for the info, Alan.

It's not the preferred method, but due to a lack of response here, I'm going to head over to the Adblock + site to see what's holding them up from submitting an extension for Firefox. I'm not jumping ship on Adblock, you guys have my greatest respect, but something needs to be done in order to get the ball rolling and get this fixed.

<hoping somebody is actually reading this>
Crogon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315754

So, where is this mythical upgrade? dev somewhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: