The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comes to a grinding halt on pages with java applets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icouldabeen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox nightlies from 20040420 to 20040425, and the last Firebird build issued, WinXP Pro SP1 , AMD1800+, Dial up connection.

I have this problem with Adblock freezing the loading of Yahoo Game site JAVA games and having to 'crash' Firefox to get things back to working order.. It has just started recently ( Within the last week or 10 days ), and IF I remove Adblock the games load fine and quickly.

I have tried it with SUN JAVA 1.4.2_03, 1.4.2_04, and the 1.5 latest beta. I still get the freezing of certain JAVA games. Not all of them, just a few, but some of those few are the ones I am interested in.
In fact, I dropped back to 1.4.2_03 because 04 and the 1.5 beta's will not load a lot of the applets I use.

I posted this in the Mozillazine Firefox and Extensions forums, but no help has come of that.

I believe the problem is with Yahoo, and the way they call the games, and the fact they have updated some of their JAVA games in the past week or so, and it causes a conflict with Adblock or Adblock conflicts with the Yahoo JAVA game loading.

Adblock is the second extension I install , and I really don't want to do without it, but it is not going to be in my list as long as this is a problem.
icouldabeen

Here's is what I did to fix my problem with loading Java games in the Yahoo game site.

I removed a block labeled */servlet/* and it work like always.

Now to play with this this setting to see if it will still allow the games, but not other 'servlets'.

I still think the root problem is the way Yahoo is loading the games AFTER they put in that stupid See High score but only with IE 4.0 or later
icouldabeen

I should have added that I also had to remove some yimg blocks near the bottom of the list.
There were three of them in my list. I forget the exact link trying to load the image.

I have Adblock back now, and that is good.
icouldabeen

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No , things are not good. The next evening after it working great, it started crashing again.
I removed Adblock, and it worked again, so I opened Netscape, and went to the same Yahoo game, and there are no apparent differences between that I could see.
View page source, and view Page Info are the same, as would be expected.

What ever it is, it is just not streaming consistently, and for some reason Adblock gets in it's way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved adblock. Would hate to uninstall it but have to as I am a yahoo games fan. Adblock simply don't allow me to load java applications.
I think this issue shld also be mentioned in the adblock home page from where users download it to avoid confusions.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried with the latest Java 1.5.0 b2?
uvdevnull

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004    Post subject: livecharts.com Reply with quote

You know, I went throught this entire thread and seem to have no trouble with any of the other applet sites listed here except for LiveCharts.com, but that one I can't load even without Adblock. Even with Adblock uninstalled, Firefox still crashes most of the time when trying to load that applet. I was only able to successfully load it one time and got all happy, but then second time around, no config changes, it crashed again and again.

Platform:
Win2000sp4
P4-2.8GHz
512MB DDR
Firefox 0.9.2
Adblock 0.5d2n39
Java 1.4.2_03

Thanks for a great extension,
uvdevnull
marcw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it...

I am pretty much forced to forsake Adblock because of Java. I have tried both Jre 1.4.2_05 and 1.5beta2 with the latest Adblock 0.5.2+. Even though I visit several Java sites, my primary interest are the NWS radar loops. These loops were almost unusable with the Java beta, even without Adblock. 1.4.2_05 does work with Adblock, but poorly and slowly.

I'll keep an eye on new versions of Adblock and Java and monitor any progress. But for now, I guess I need Java more than Adblock.

Dang it... I really liked Adblock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have experienced the same thing with Cyber-rights.net and checking email. It uses Java also...

Is there goiing to be a fix for this? Its a very annoying bug that I deal with daily. I have to use IE just to check that email.

Before Adblock, just using FF 1.0PR it worked fine. Its an Adblock issue...
georgie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004    Post subject: NWS radar loops do work here! Reply with quote

marcw,

I find that the radar loops you referred to work flawlessly for me. I am currently using Mozilla 1.7.3 with Java VM 1.5 RC.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think I have experienced the same thing with Cyber-rights.net and checking email. It uses Java also...

Is there goiing to be a fix for this? Its a very annoying bug that I deal with daily. I have to use IE just to check that email.

Before Adblock, just using FF 1.0PR it worked fine. Its an Adblock issue...

I originally posted this - after installing the very latest Java which just came out (5.0) it seems to work fine w/ adblock installed. It appears to have fixed it. I havent tried anything else though. I recommend installing 5.0 and trying it out. Could this possibly have finally fixed it?
Jeroenvrp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004    Post subject: www.postbank.nl (online banking) Reply with quote

Hi,

When Adblock is enabled people can't login at the Mijn Postbank site (Dutch bank).

Go to www.postbank.nl and click on 'log in' beneath the line 'Mijn Postbank.nl'.

It makes use of Java (cryptoApplet).

When I try to login it gives an error : Security Applet not active anymore.

When I disable Adblock using the preferences iit works fine!

I tested it with a full filterlist and with a empty filter list. It does not make any difference.
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, when clicking on "log in" I get a security certificate warning. If I accept it I get the log in prompt without any error messages. Since I don't have an account I can't go further...

Are you using the latest Java 1.5.0?

Also, try disabling Obj-Tabs if you have them enabled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In previous Adblock posts (I don't remember the thread)
it was said that the problem with Applets and Adblock
would be fixed when using Java plugin for JRE 5.0 (1.5)

Well, I downloaded the Java 5.0 (1.5) release from Sun's site.
Still the same problem.
Yahoo applets (games specifically) can't be loaded.
Only uninstalling the extension helps, even Ctrl+Shift+B doesn't.
I don't want to give up Adblock as it is really helpful.

Please don't ping-pong me to the FireFox forum, saying this is a browser problem.
On the FireFox forum they say this is an Adblock problem.
Basically, the bug slips between the chairs.
Please, help ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004    Post subject: Bug still persists after update to JAVA 1.5.0 Reply with quote

Java 1.5.0 (JRE) + Firefox 0.9.3 + latest Adblock plugin
+ network-I/O-applet (for example on www.map24.com, an interactive map, just click on "search" to start the applet) on Windows 2000 --> FireFox halts, applet does not load completely

It's possible to close the firefox window, but a firefox.exe task remains in the task manager. It's not possible to open a new window or to start a new instance of firefox until the task is killed.

There's one observable change after the update from 1.4.3_04 to 1.5.0: Now the remaining Firefox.exe "zombie" task is not 100% busy anymore (memory usage seems to increase slightly, but haven't observed it over a long-term period).

As reported, the bug disappears when Adblock plugin is uninstalled - and it comes back when Adblock is installed again.
Booo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be fixed - its obviously a Adblock problem....
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

there can be a bug in java which only conflicts with adblock, but that doesn't necessarily make it adblock's problem -- that would make it java's problem for having a bug

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a workaround that allows to use AdBlock with applets
assuming you jar cach is cleared and JVM is not loaded yet.
Go to
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp
and wait till the applet finishes loading completely (you can see the dancing pinguin).
We don't actually need the applet, we just use it to correctly load the JVM into memory.
After that, use the same browser window to go to the site with the applet you want to load. No need even to disable AdBlock.

I must add, however, that when AdBlock is not installed - this workaround is not necessary as any applet loads the JVM correctly (and not just the Sun's). Also if a JVM is already badly loaded with AdBlock - my solution won't apply.

This is a bug.
Is there a way for AdBlock and FireFox developers to sit together and solve this?
Where should I post the bug to make it happen?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004    Post subject: can be reproduced with Firefox RC and Java 1.5 Reply with quote

Hi,
also experience this bug. The interactive map at www.map24.com does crash Firefox always, with Adblock installed. Without Adblock (removed not disabled!) it just works fine.

This is my browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1
Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0

regards Dirk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Our corporate network uses some Java and 1.4.2 is required. With this jvm I also get freezes with the adblock plugin. I would really like to use it, but cannot because of this.
imforumman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm the map24.com error.
Fx 1.0
AdBlock 0.5 d2 n39

Keep up the good work, this is an amazing tool!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004    Post subject: Re: can be reproduced with Firefox RC and Java 1.5 Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
also experience this bug. The interactive map at www.map24.com does crash Firefox always, with Adblock installed. Without Adblock (removed not disabled!) it just works fine.

This is my browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1
Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0

regards Dirk

I'm sorry, but I have to confirm this bug too! Deactivate doen't help. I had to deinstall.

Regards Gunther

Firefox 1RC2 Java 1.5
georgie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004    Post subject: New ultimate test site? Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can also confirm that the Java-Adblock bug is still alive and well on the aforementioned site, Map24.com. Confused

Using Mozilla 1.7.3 with Java 1.5.

However, I have been using Java without any problems on many other sites since the first 1.5 Java VM betas were released, Livecharts.com included. Smile

It seems that Map24.com should be an ultimate test site for anybody motivated enough to go after this Adblock-induced Java bug.

Georgie
georgie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004    Post subject: Workarounds in older post... for Yahoo games as well... Reply with quote

Please, read this earlier post of mine about possible work-arounds for those very few sites where Java is still a problem with JavaVM 1.5. Yahoo games included...

georgie
wensveen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rue and others.
I've read this thread and come to the conclusion that most linux users don't experience any issues. Yet, I do. With FF on linux, pages containing applets freezes the browser. I use "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050210 Firefox/1.0 (Debian package 1.0+dfsg.1-6)" with AdBlock 0.5 d2 nightly 39.
Strangely the issue doesn't occur with my seamonkey installation "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20050105 Debian/1.7.5-1" with the same AdBlock installed.
Both use the same java plugin (FF one is a symbolic link to the seamonkey plugin):
"Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0-b64
File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0"

It sounds very probable that the real issue is somewhere in XPCONNECT. I really want to start checking out the source sometime, but time is a real issue (especially since I've just become father Smile ).

Is there any progress on this? Or is this possibly another new issue?

Regards,
Matthijs.
codeman38

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still encountering browser lockups during the loading of Java applets with Firefox 1.0.1, Java 1.5.0_02, and Adblock 0.5d2 build 39.

Specifically, I'm unable to do anything in the browser while an applet is loading-- i.e., when the Java logo is in the plugin area with a progress bar displayed below it-- but once the applet has fully loaded, the browser goes back to normal.

The problem doesn't occur with Adblock uninstalled; in that case, I can easily switch to other tabs and load other sites in separate windows while an applet is loading. The freeze only occurs when Adblock is installed.
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005    Post subject: confirmed problem Reply with quote

I didn't read every word of this topic, so I apologize if I'm not providing any new information.

I'm a java developer and I have encountered a problem with adblock. While adblock is installed (enabled or disabled), the applet freezes at a particular line of code. If I uninstall adblock, the problem is resolved, if I install it, the problem returns. It's very clean-cut.

I'm using Firefox 1.0.1, the latest adblock, Win2k, and Java plugin 1.4.2.

The line of code that causes the problem is the one that attempts to interact with the page's javascript for the first time. Specifically:
Code:
JSObject javaScriptWindow = netscape.javascript.JSObject.getWindow(this);

If I eliminate this code, the problem goes away. That might explain why only some applets express the problem. Applets that never interact with their page's javascript are unaffected. The latest version of my applet is not yet published, but when it is, I can post a link, if you need another example.
G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling Object Tabs.
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion.

I disabled Obj-Tabs, and it had no effect on the problem. The behavior is still the same.

In order to access Javascript from within my applet, I still need to uninstall adblock.
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have found a workaround. I placed the javascript init method call (above) in it's own thread and ran that in place of calling the method directly. It seems to have solved the problem, but I'm still waiting to see the nasty side effects.

Using this method, not only can adblock be installed, it can be enabled, and Obj-Tabs can be turned on, and everything seems okay.

Unfortunately, this info is probably only useful for the applet developer who comes across it. It doesn't help end users at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Adblock is enabled, the dancing Duke logo doesn't appear on the following page: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

If I disable Adblock and restart Firefox, the logo works. Thus, I don't have to uninstall Adblock.

I am using Firefox 1.0.2, the latest Adblock, WinXP, and Java plugin 1.5.0.
augray

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had almost the same problem with pogo games. I downloaded the new firefox update. Worked faster as someone had posted on another post. Then, downloaded adblock due to an ad on drudge that the browser wasn't removing. Slowed my dialup windows 98 down considerably after downloading the adblock extension. When I played games at pogo, I was getting knocked out of rooms and things were really slow. I read some of the posts here, didn't get some of them as I am not quite as knowledgable as you all are, but just wanted to state my experience. I am going to look at the filters and still try to get rid of the drudge ad.
BigThunder1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read most of this post only to realize I'm not alone with this problem related to Adblock. It works for most every page I visit, and so I am pleased with it and hope you fine folks figure out a solution. Smile

I recently upgraded to DSL. My home page @ SBC Yahoo now has a java applet for the daily news, instead of the text version I had on dial-up. With Adblock enabled the applet is blocked with the flash button. When clicking on the button all I get is a blank area where the news applet should be, (back ground intackt). If I disable Adblock and restart FF, the applet comes up on the page and works just fine.

I haven't a clue how to filter it. And after reading the posts on regexp... lets just say, as an avg end user... it's still greek to me! It seems that a feature to white list sites would be the answer, or as one person put it, a wizard for the expressions might help. If the end user has to learn regexp to make this work under those circumstances, I think it could kill this great extension for the masses. I hope you can find a solution for this apparent conflict with java applets. You have a great project going here, and I'd hate to see it stalled or worse. Don't give up!

*FFx_v1.0.6* *Adblock_v0.5.2.039* *WinXP-HM* *2GB Athlon 2400+*

Regards...... BigThunder1 Cool
Zachariah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you installed the latest version of Java JRE ("The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications") and turned off object tabs?

do you still have problems after that?

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read this thread, all java problems seem to have disapeared (I've tested all the sites mentioned above execpt yahoo games), but I had never noticed any problems to start with. I'm using

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050717 Firefox/1.0.6

J2SE 5.0 update 4
VJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S that last reply was me, I'm a different "guest" than the one who was having problems Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachariah wrote:
have you installed the latest version of Java JRE ("The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications") and turned off object tabs?

do you still have problems after that?

Yesss! I installed the last JRE and deactvated Objext tabs.
Now the site www.map24.de works!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime wrote:
It looks like there's a major bug in the java beta. It seems to fail on java navagation applets. Tried it on a half dozen different ones. If the applet is supposed to open a new page in the browser, is simply does nothing. I reverted back to release 1.4.2.03, and the navagation applets work fine. Of course, they take 3 minutes to load, with AdBlock installed. Confused

If you use a lot of sites that use java apps for navagation, you may want to re-think installing this beta.
Cruft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruft wrote:
cruft wrote:
I'm sure this is the wrong place to post this, but it isn't clear where else to do it, so sorry in advance.

adblock enabled - I can't login
adblock enabled - no can do - like it's blocking a cookie or something

I'm on firefox 1.07

Used the verson 39 and the new fix version - same same

Thanks,

Cruft

Ok, as it turns out - choosing "Hide" rather than "Remove" works around this problem. Adblock is whacking some java script when remove is chosen. This function among others get's yanked:

Error: handleLogin is not defined

If you care to look into fixing this for "remove" you can see the error without actually having to log in successfully to salesforce.com - the java console will show the errors even with bogus login credentials.

https://www.salesforce.com/login.jsp

Thanks,
Cruft

I originally posted this in the wrong thread -sorry- anyway, the quote speaks for itself.

I'm running WinXP SP2 - firefox 1.07 - latest adblock from this bb.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruft wrote:
cruft wrote:
... java script ...

... java console ...

I originally posted this in the wrong thread ...
Actually this thread is the wrong thread also.

Java is not Javascript

Java is a programming language for applets (and full blown applications)
Javascript is a scripting language (and the name "Javascript" is actually the Netscape branding for ECMAScript)

Both are (typically) executed client-side.
Both have a similar (thought distinct) syntax.
Both are each one word ("Java" / "Javascript")

Java is displayed by means of 3rd party software (created by Sun), called a plugin.
Javascript support is native to the browser.
H H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006    Post subject: Java problem still there / has returned? Reply with quote

Hi!

After spending a day trying to get a specific site working properly I identified Adblock being the trigger.

I'm running:
Windows 2000 Pro, Swedish - all fixes/SP:s applied
Firefox 1.5
Adblock 0.5.2.256+
Java 1.5.0.06

The problematic case is a Swedish website for buying/selling houses. They use an applet to show the location of the house on a map. To reproduce the error, check out the link and click the button "Visa karta".

http://www.hemnet.se/search/maklarutbud/object_frame.asp?objektid=3137531&service=hemnettogp&caller=main&area=5&stadsdel=81:7032&url=http://www.bostad.dn.se/bostadsborsen/sok/results/

I have tried *all* the fixes, workarounds etc previously mentioned in this thread (new profile, disable adblock, disable object tabs, reinstall etc).

The only thing that works is to uninstall the Adblock extension.

Trying the workaround of "preloading" the JVM using a harmless applet didn't work for the supplied URL either.

Doing a fresh install (complete removal beforehand) of Firefox & Java and then testing the page works perfect. Adding Adblock but not adding any filters or even activating it will crash the applet.

H H
mykhal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have problems with java applets, even with sun jre 1.5.
Adblock seems to be "blocking" applet's DOM properties.
See http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=3094
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: