The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comes to a grinding halt on pages with java applets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003    Post subject: Comes to a grinding halt on pages with java applets Reply with quote

Sad , this is the best ever Extension for firebird but it has a major bug with java applets, using 0.5 Dev 1 build the browser almost freezes on webpages with java applets, and ends up in the browser crashing if i try to close the frozen window. I hope this gets fixed in the next release!
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm this? I think this guy posted before, but he's the only one who's ever said this.

Guest: what platform, browser / version, extensions, etc.. ?
Kevin Ar18

Could this bug report be related?
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218319
Org

I'm running Firebird 0.7 and Adblock 0.5d1 (WinXP). I have used lots of different Java applets without any problems. Guest, perhaps could you give a few example URLs?

Browser: Firebird 0.7 (release)
Java: 1.4.1_2
Extensions: Adblock 0.5d1 and WorkOffline 0.2
(had same problems with Adblock 0.4d31)

Websites: http://games.yahoo.com , click on any game and log in and the window almost freezes.

By the way last time I read this posted on the older forum and it was not me.
I also think this has got something to do with I'm on 56k modem, as I also have adblock at work and is does freeze applets there but its usable faster like within a few seconds but on 56k no matter how log I wait nothing happens.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I must also make this clear that as soon as I uninstall AdBlock the Firebird does not freeze with any java applet pages (on 56k modem connection)

Sorry again forgot to mention platform:
Athlon XP 2600+
1G RAM
Org

I was curious enough to create a Yahoo account to test this. Guest, just like you said Firebird froze when loading many of Java games. I was able to run the very same games if I killed the frozen FB and re-ran it immediately. After a fresh start one game would work. It didn't seem to matter if Adblock was disabled or enabled.

I was not curious enough to deinstall Adblock.

It would be more logical if this issue was not caused by a bug in Adblock rather than bad site design by Yahoo. I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, disabling it didnt help me either, try this applet http://www-b2.is.tokushima-u.ac.jp/~ikeda/suuri/kruskal/KruskalApp.shtml?demo5
it is a lot smaller than the Yahoo games but it loads noticeably slower with the adblock extension installed (disabled or not) than it does without the extension installed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys not interested in this problem? I'm 100% sure that adblock is the culprit as when you deinstall adblock everything works fine.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If having Adblock installed is causing this issue for you, then there's bigger problems here. All Adblock does is register itself with the content-policy system and wait for requests. On request, it checks the mozilla-suplied url, and sends back a boolean: should it load, true or false.
If there's a real issue, it lies deeper than Adblock
Specifically for development, I've visited quite a few applet-sites -- and I've yet to experience this. Like Org, I think Yahoo's games are probably very poorly designed. If you really require your daily game-fix, then just deinstall Adblock. That's about all I can offer.

rue wrote:
If having Adblock installed is causing this issue for you, then there's bigger problems here. All Adblock does is register itself with the content-policy system and wait for requests. On request, it checks the mozilla-suplied url, and sends back a boolean: should it load, true or false.
If there's a real issue, it lies deeper than Adblock

Then how do you explain the fact that not having adblock installed does not cause any problems what so ever?
rue wrote:
Specifically for development, I've visited quite a few applet-sites -- and I've yet to experience this. Like Org, I think Yahoo's games are probably very poorly designed. If you really require your daily game-fix,

Have you tested it on huge applets like the ones yahoo uses? What about the method you use to block java applet ads and put those tabs on the applet?

If you say they are poorly designed then what is adblock doing with it that is causing them to not work when adblock is installed? I do not agree with your explanation. How can you be sure that the changes adblock makes to prefs.js or any other file is not causing this?

I have tested this using 2 different profiles creating new profiles and reinstalling adblock several times with same results on 2 systems running windows 98 and windows xp. Surely it can't be just random if it only occurs when adblock is installed? I do not have a problem with the fact that I can't play those games but you are refusing to accept that the bug is something to do with adblock and ending it by saying it is a "deeper" problem. If it is a deeper problem then can you explain why those applets work with the *same* java virtual machine in Firebird (and also Mozilla, K-meleon, IE, Opera ) but do not work when the adblock extension is installed?

rue wrote:
then just deinstall Adblock. That's about all I can offer.

Yes, I know you are the developer and thanks for your extension. It's your choice what you do with it and I'm merely pointing out that I do not agree with your explanation.
rue
Developer

I'm speaking with some experience.
The java engine is a plugin-media, which means once it begins handling content, the browser takes a backseat to execution. For Adblock's 0.4 branch, elements were caught when firing their xbl-onconstruct event. With applets, this event came after the plugin had already begun execution, and attempts to disable the element using css caused a crash. So, to disable blocked applets, Adblock changed their source to a neutral built-in class, which reloaded the applet and then quit.
0.5 doesn't do this. It simply answers the browser's built-in query: "should this content be loaded?" The answer is a boolean, that's all.
What I'm proposing is: maybe the content-policy system has a flaw. If you check out Kevin Ar18's bug (above), you'll see a bug relating to interpretation of Microsoft Java by Sun's engine. Add to this the overhead of a policy system that didn't delay applet-loading before Adblock was installed and you have the recipe for instability. Recall, delayed loading was critical to what v.4 could and couldn't do.
Lastly, I can assure you- altering custom-prefs does not destabilize the browser.
georgie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003    Post subject: Someone else using Java, at last! Adblock ruins Java! Reply with quote

Rue, I complained about this initially in message @169...

This Java issue is very serious, Adblock totally wreaks havoc with Java.

I do not care for games. However, I regularly use more demanding Java applets for financial purposes. Adblock has introduced great pain into these activities. It interferes with the loading of all Java applets, but the more demanding the applet is, the worse Adblock behaves.

One example - check out Lycos Livecharts (a stock charting applet):

http://livecharts.com

This applet never (well, not in 20 minutes...) loads entirely with Adblock 05d2 installed, regardless of whether Adblock is enabled or disabled. But there is an interesting development through different Adblock versions.

This behaviour has not changed since 04d31. I cannot report about versions between 04d25 and 04d31. However, 04d25 was different. 04d25 needed to be installed and *enabled* in order to interfere with applets. When disabled, it did not bother applets, everything ran fine. Enabling immediately brought all the Java problems back. Back then I would disable Adblock when starting one of the Java applets I use every day. Once the applet loaded I would re-enable Adblock.

Anyway, 04d25 did not block content, 04d31 was supposed to do so. So I downloaded the 04d31 jar file, and copied it over the 04d25 jar. And it worked just like 04d25: I could prevent Java problems by disabling it, but it did not block content from downloading, as I reported that in message @245. Later I understood that new bindings and hooks needed to be installed from the xpi in order for blocking to work. Thus I *installed* 04d31, and.... what a change it was!!

Well, good and VERY BAD!

Blocking worked like a charm. But, I lost my only cure for the Adblock-Java problem: simply disabling Adblock had no effect any more. It needed to be uninstalled/unloaded in order for Java applets to work properly. This has not changed since 04d31. 05d2 almost kills Java.

Disturbingly, once loaded, applets actually work perfectly. It is loading them that takes sometimes 100 fold longer because of Adblock.

Livecharts is one horrible example. I am on DSL, thus it loads in a second normally. With Adblock installed, I have never been able to wait long enough for it to finish loading, and I am talking tens of minutes. Clicking "Stop" equals crash...

Another charting applet I use loads in seconds normally, in 5 minutes with Adblock. Once loaded, it works perfectly, without a hiccup.

------------

Rue, I hope this helps. I for one, would like to see some effort put into testing this, because it is baaaad.

I use Mozilla 1.4.1 on Win98SE, with Sun Java 1.4.2.01.

Anybody can quickly and temporarily "unload" Adblock (or block it from loading) by commenting out the line referencing adblock.jar in
"installed-chrome.txt" in Mozilla's chrome directory. And restarting Mozilla, of course.

Please, help testing this. In stead of love and hate, I would be happy to just love Adblock...

Georgie
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgie:
Confirmed: with Adblock installed, the livecharts site crashes on a JavaMessageQueue::notify() memory-exception.
The error is very familiar -- a timing-issue, relating to attribute-changes / when the java-handler begins handling data.
We finally have a reproducible case, and a patch should be landed in the next few days.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special handling for applets has landed.
Grab the silent update off the Dev. page, and let me know if it works.
georgie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: Not there yet.... Reply with quote

Rue,

Thanks for dealing with this bug.

Have you tried the newest build yourself?

I have, and I hate to write this, but basically no change. I installed the newest build an hour ago, but the painfully slow loading of Java applets (with 100% CPU utilization for minutes) has not changed at all.

The only change I noticed is that now Mozilla does not crash if I click stop on the Livecharts page and then try to exit Mozilla. However, Mozilla is useless from that point, and it is impossible even to exit the program, thus I have to kill it with a task manager.

Sadly, we are not there yet.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgie:
The build works fine for me. But because it's a timing-issue, there's still more I can change -- I just stopped once it worked.
Does the problem still occur with Adblock disabled?
georgie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

Rue,

Once I read your message I immediately tried Livecharts with Adblock disabled, and it did load once, somewhat slowly, but it was OK (under 30s). Once. However, I have not been able to reproduce it since. Not one more time out of a dozen.

All other applets I use behave the same, they are a pain to use.

One positive change: it seems that this latest change did help Java stability somewhat. The charting applet on Earnigsbase.com (paid subscription. needed) does not crash Mozilla if I load it more than once. It always did with the earlier build.
rue
Developer

Georgie:
One last thing I need you to confirm: does this still happen with a fresh profile (nothing copied over), and only Adblock installed?
..While you're at it, blow away these files from root-chrome, as well: userContent.css, chrome.rdf, overleyinfo (dir).
georgie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003    Post subject: Yes. Reply with quote

Rue,

In short, yes. The Java problem persists even if - besides the default ones and Adblock - no other extension is installed. I even cleaned out my profile directory for you: it contained only my prefs.js, because Mozilla would not start without it.

No matter what I do on my end, I cannot get around this. Adblock interefers with Java applet loading.
rue
Developer

Georgie:
I'm trying an alternate-route on the fix; I'd like you to test a preliminary build. Replace your installed copy of adblock.jar with this one.
Then, try to load LiveCharts -- Adblock enabled, no filters entered.
You should see the obj-tab and load-time should be minimal.
georgie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: No change.... Reply with quote

Rue,

No change with the latest jar the way you told me. Unfortunately.

Some new info, as a result of some experimentation.

Applet loading AND parameter processing both are extremely slow with Adblock installed. Parameter processing becomes unbearably slow in the Livechart case.

Food for thought:

Example 1: a trader/charting applet. Loading time, after download completed.

no Adblock - ~3 sec

Adblock installed, - ~60 sec
no parameters passed

Adblock installed, - ~300 sec
2 parameters passed (~2.5kB)

Example 2: Livecharts loading times, after download completed.

no Adblock - ~2 sec

Adblock installed, - ~30 sec
no parameters passed

Adblock installed, - ????? sec (impossible to wait enough...)
17 parameters passed (~1.4kB)

Taking the parameters out does help loading time somewhat. Of course, it also renders the applets useless....

Here is the code I used to load Livecharts without parameters:

---------------------

<html>
<head><title>LC</title></head>
<body>

<applet codebase="http://lc-d.sc8.finance.lycos.com/livecharts" code="livecharts.LiveChartsV3.class" archive="LiveChartsV3.jar" name="LiveCharts" id="LiveCharts" width="610" height="337" mayscript="MAYSCRIPT"></applet>

</body>
</html>

---------------------

This loading time means the time spent between loading the Java VM and the appearance of the functional applet. During this time only a gray box - claimed by the applet - can be seen in the browser, and CPU utilization is 100%.

I hope this helps.

I have a feeling that we have not yet touched the true origin of these troubles....
georgie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Ooopss. Reply with quote

Scratch half of the last sentence. Of course, loading time is the time between the completion of the download and the appearance of the functional applet.

Oh, well....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this bug being worked on, I hope it is solved soon.
rue
Developer

The latest nightly includes further revisioning of these patches. It's on the Dev. page.
I've trapped for applets in all critical areas, avoiding the setting / retrieving of properties once they've loaded. As far as I can determine, this should solve the issue.

Started the new build with a new profile, Still does not work I'm afraid
rue
Developer

Dang. How about after disabling Obj-Tabs in prefs?

Same thing with Obj-tags disabled, also same thing if adblock is disabled altogether.
rue
Developer

I just came across the mozillazine post which directed one of you here, and I need to know:
Is this problem reproducible in a fresh profile? -- not a "cleaned" profile, a new one.
Both Georgie and Guest are having problems after upgrading from v.3.. which leaves me very suspicious of the prior uninstall. What I really need is absolute confirmation from a clean browser-install, clean profile, and then only Adblock installed.
And, if anyone else wants to try, we're using LiveCharts as our test-page.
georgie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: No... Reply with quote

Rue,

No change. I installed Mozilla 1.4.1 into a new directory, created a new profile, installed the latest Adblock nightly fromt he dev page, and concluded that all this had nothing to do with our problem: Java is still a pain to use with Adblock installed.

Food for hought:

Does Adblock try to parse all data downloaded by the browser, even the applets themsleves? Or does it only touch html?

Does Adblock try to parse all data downloaded by the applets as well?

One tidbit about the trading-charting applet I mentioned: it is loaded from a very short web page containing only a few lines of text. The normal sequence of things without Adblock is that first the short web page appears in a flash, the Java VM starts immediately and starts downloading he applet. Once the download is complete, the applet appears in a few seconds with all its 8 windows.

With Adblock installed, the sequence is upside down: I load the short web page, but I can only see its white background! I can hear the Java VM load and start downloading the applet (HDD activity). CPU utilization is 100% from this point. After the download is complete, nothing happens for 2 minutes, but I can hear the CPU fan spin at full speed. At 2 minutes, the first applet window appears, and damn slowly the applet starts to paint in all the function buttons and data tables, and, over the course of 3 more minutes, the other 7 windows appear too, very slowly. At the end of the 5th minute, the applet makes connection to the data server and, in a few more seconds, the applet windows become filled with data and charts,and, in a flash, the few lines of text appears in the web page that loads the applet.

So, why does a few lines of text not appear for 5 minutes when Adblock is installed?

Adbock seems to confuse the layout engine. BTW, whenever I stop Mozilla from continuing to struggle with an applet, the culprit blamed by Windows is always gklayout.dll.

I never used 0.3, I had 0.4d31 with same problems and I haven't upgraded I started a new profile to test your build (deleted profile directory and ran Firebird again) problem persists
georgie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Test environment. Reply with quote

Anybody interested can test this silly Java problem.

Download the Livecharts applet onto your HDD. Use "Save as".

http://lc-d.sc8.finance.lycos.com/livecharts/LiveChartsV3.jar

Now copy-paste the following lines of text (between dashed lines), and save them as "LC.htm" in the same directory:

---------------------------------
<html><head><title>Livecharts test</title></head><body>
<H3>Coming up....</H3>

<applet code="livecharts.LiveChartsV3.class" archive="LiveChartsV3.jar" name="LiveCharts" id="LiveCharts" width="610" height="337" mayscript="MAYSCRIPT"></applet>

</body></html>

Now copy-paste the following lines of text (between dashed lines), and save them as "LCpar.htm" in the same directory:

<html><head><title>Livecharts test</title></head><body>
<H3>Coming up....</H3>

<applet code="livecharts.LiveChartsV3.class" archive="LiveChartsV3.jar" name="LiveCharts" id="LiveCharts" width="610" height="337" mayscript="MAYSCRIPT">
<param name="ISFREE" value="1" />
<param name="HelpURL" value="http://help.lycos.com/LycosHelp/help/financewebsite/htdocs/financewebsite_form.htm" />
<param name="SymURL" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/lookup/symbol_search.aspx?boards=0" />
<param name="WaterMark" value="http://lc-d.sc8.finance.lycos.com/livecharts/LCWatermark.gif" />
<param name="NavBar" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/livecharts/navbar.aspx?symbols=" />
<param name="SymbolChange" value="1" />
<param name="ASCIISERVER" value="ts-lc.sc8.finance.lycos.com" />
<param name="ASCIIPORT" value="80" />
<param name="User" value="demo" />
<param name="Pswd" value="demo" />
<param name="SYMBOL" value="" />
<param name="AdImageURL" value="http://lc-d.sc8.finance.lycos.com/livecharts/ad.gif" />
<param name="AdLinkURL" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/subs/qmetastock.aspx" />
<param name="SMALLCHART" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/livecharts/default.aspx?wd=640&amp;ht=424&amp;symbols=,_blank" />
<param name="MEDCHART" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/livecharts/default.aspx?wd=710&amp;ht=400&amp;symbols=,_blank" />
<param name="BIGCHART" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/livecharts/default.aspx?wd=910&amp;ht=500&amp;symbols=,_blank" />
<param name="irritantURL" value="http://finance.lycos.com/qc/livecharts/ot_timedout.html?timeout=3" />

</applet></body></html>

OK. Time it takes for the text "Coming up" to appear:
(on a 600MHz, Win98SE PC):

Adblock not installed:
LC.htm - 1 sec
LCpar.htm- 1 sec

Adblock installed:
LC.htm - 30 sec
LCpar.htm - over 10 minutes, never actually timed.

Once again, I hope this helps.
rue
Developer

Here's a quick sketch of what Adblock does -- and yes, I get a feeling we're working around some major bug in the browser-backend:

page source-> node creation-> load request-> Content Policy System-> Adblock
Adblock-> content load? -> node inserted

Basically, the content-policy system calls Adblock's 'shouldload' function, passing some node parameters -- including location. Adblock checks location.spec against the filter-list. If there's a match, Adblock returns a value of "false" and then hides the node.
If the node clears, Adblock checks to be sure no other Policies block it, then creates / appends the obj-tab (where applicable). Along the way, it stores some relevant metadata in the node. This is where I suspected our point-of-failure lay, so I patched against setting anything except attributes on applets. Obviously, that got us nowhere.
So, now I'm going to disable the 'shouldload' function in pieces; if you don't mind testing some jars, we should be able to determine the exact cause. They'll be ready sometime later today.
georgie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003    Post subject: Let the jars flow Reply with quote

Rue, let those jars come!
Glenn

I too am experiencing the problem. It doesn't happen with every Java applet (so far only in Yahoo Games), and when I was using Adblock v0.3, I did not encounter this problem in Yahoo Games. (Perhaps it didn't block Java back then?)

I'm currently running Adblock v0.5 d2, and the same problem exists in Mozilla 1.5, 1.4.1, Firebird 0.7, and Netscape 7.1. On both Firebird and Netscape, these were fresh installs.

Hope this gets resovled soon. I love the new features that Adblock has gotten.

If a fix is hard to implement, perhaps an option of not having Adblock block Java might serve as a feasible workaround?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright- as far as Adblock goes, this issue cannot be resolved.
There's a major bug in the java handler where Content Policy is concerned. Basically, for live io-connections, the handler can't cope with any delay in load-time... and the policy-system is nothing but one big delay.
The latest nightly is set to do absolutely nothing if an applet is encountered. This still results in java-console errors for me, and even an occassional hard-crash. The problem is outside Adblock's scope.
There's no way to keep the policy-system from handling applets. When it encounters them, the load is delayed and Adblock is consulted. If the java-handler accounted for this, there wouldn't be an issue. Additionally, the java-handlers for major platforms differ, so the conflict wont present consistently.

Download the latest nightly. If the java problems persist, file a bug, citing Adblock as indicative of something bigger. This is outside our scope.
Glenn

Is it possible to check the code of v0.5 against that of v0.3 to figure out a way to get it to work? I just deinstalled v0.5 from Firebird, and then installed v0.3 from the extension room (and of course restarted the browser each time), then tried loading up Yahoo Games, and no errors occurred--the games all loaded properly.
rue
Developer

Glenn:
v.3 didn't block anything -- it just waited for pageload to complete, then manually scanned through and hid things.
There's really no comparison: v.3 was radically different from v.4... which in turn is nothing like v.5.
rue
Developer

Just because I can:
This list of OJI Java bugs is great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already launched a bug in Mozilla's Bugzilla?
katonag

the previous was me...
rue
Developer

katonag:
I asked another developer -- who maintains his own blocking-module -- to see if this issue affected him too. His reply is here.
The last post in his thread explains my conclusion. From there, you may proceed however you like.

Last edited by rue on Tue Nov 25, 2003; edited 1 time in total

Last question. Wouldn't you add a bug to Bugzilla, despite what you have written in the other thread?
Maybe its worth, if we have a small chance that someone will deal with this thing. Unfortunately I'm not a developer, so probably you could more clearly describe the situation. I can supply sites to confirm the problem.
So please think about it.
rue
Developer

katonag:
There's one final reason why I don't file: I only use moz1.3.1 WaMCom.
Part of the responsibility in filing a bug involves testing with the latest builds. I only run mozilla on my legacy (os9) machines, which means: a.) I'm limited to older builds (perk: backward-compatibility for everyone is assured), and b.) I won't verify newer tests, patches, or even the eventually landed solution.
There's nothing wrong with someone filing on this. Just make sure you first scan through the OJI Java Bug list. If you still feel the new bug has a shot, file away.
o_z

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi rue,

first, i'd like to thank you for all your effort in creating and debuging this extention.

now, i was wondering if this problem was supposed to be solved in the new nightly (build 20). did you cancel adblock for applets or is there no way to do this?

i've tried build 20, and i still get this problem with a chat applet. i tried it with a clean profile, btw.

again, thanks for your time,
o
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_z:
The problem isn't with Adblock -- it's the interplay between java handling of network IO'd applets and the Content Policy System. Adblock just exposes the bug.
I can't get more specific than that, but if you'd like to open a bug based on this thread, you're most welcome to.
Per your chat-applet: the latest build ignores applets entirely. This has been shown to lessen the issue in some cases -- but, unfortunately, not all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly changing user pref (javascript.options.strict) to "false" from "true"...
that helped me with other java/javascript issues....
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
Which issue, exactly, did it help with?
Java and JavaScript are completely different -- despite their annoyingly similar names.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

specifically i was going to thestreet.com website.....they use fairly aggressive java script and also was visiting www.jamrid.com (java applets).... I couln't figure why the browser kept stalling out practically crashing.....

i installed mozilla in a new directory and had no problems.... So by process of elimination figured which preference was messing up my original installation....I changed the preference pref("javascript.options.strict", true); to be false and lo & behold the problems cleared up.....

I believe pref("javascript.options.strict", false); is the installed default and i had changed it to "true" figuring i would want the stricter options......well i guess i can live without the "stricter"...... lol.....

i know this is certainly not scientific but maybe it will help.......
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
This thread is specifically regarding network-IO'd applets. In other words: applets that employ two-way communications with a remote-host.
Your jamrid site loads fine. Unfortunately, even with that pref set false, this thread's test-site does not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

np....i just took a bit of a shot in the dark......
Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this is resurrecting an old topic, but I just came across this adblock/yahoo games issue and had a question:

I noticed on my computer that I couldn't get into yahoo games if I had adblock installed independent of whether or not I had enabled adblocking in the preferences. However, I also found that I did not need to uninstall adblock to get yahoo games to work. what I had to do was disable adblock in FIREBIRD's extension options rather than in ADBLOCK's preferences.

ok, here's my question. Is there any way to make adblock so that the user is able to disable adblocking from within adblock itself and have firebird work with java like yahoo games? if so, that would make things just a tad easier for users, since disabling adblocking from within adblock does not require a browser restart, but disabling adblock from within firebird's extension list does.

thanks.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa:
I considered your request, but there's simply no easy way to make this work for older builds. Adblock maintains across-the-board parity for everything since moz1.0.
What we need is a real workaround for applets -- a way to keep the java-handler from dying. I'm certain one exists; it's just a matter of stumbling across it.. more-or-less.

This bug is winodws only, works perfectly on Linux
rue
Developer

Guest:
Would you mind installing the older version, Adblock d1, and trying some of this thread's problematic-sites: LiveCharts, yahoo games, etc.?
The issue manifests on both MacOs and Windows, and I'd like to be certain Linux really isn't affected.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on holiday right now so I can't really test this build but I have used many builds 1 or 2 months ago that worked fine on yahoo games and live charts on linux and funnily enough livecharts worksforme on windows too but yahoo games don't.
y3k

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

livecharts worked fine the first time but closing the tab and going to the site again made mozilla hang and crashed when i tried to close it, so maybe something about the problem is cach related. not sure if java applets are cached seperatly or not.

WinXP Moz 1.5, Adblock 0.5d2 build 34, java 1.4.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Guest:
Would you mind installing the older version, Adblock d1, and trying some of this thread's problematic-sites: LiveCharts, yahoo games, etc.?
The issue manifests on both MacOs and Windows, and I'd like to be certain Linux really isn't affected.

Hi, I experienced similar problems with some java stuff running the latest version of adblock on firebird .7 in a windows environment with the latest java JDK (and the mozilla 0.7 java registry fix).

I found this thread and followed it, having similar problems with the livecharts site as a test. I de-installed adblock and tried the older, d1, version as Rue suggested but it didn't help.

I know the thread came around to the conclusion that this isn't really an adblock bug (even though it manifests itself when you have adblock installed but disabled (from adblock, not the extensions page)).

Given that it isn't an adblock bug, does anyone know where to look for progress on a fix (even an experimental one?) I think Adblock is great and can't wait to use it again and not be in fear of hitting a java page that disagrees and locks up firebird.

Thanks,
Jeff Billimek
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff:
The d1-build was for the Guest who reported no problems on Linux. Recent builds leave applets pretty much untouched, so I wanted him to try a version that messed with them a bit -- seeing if Linux was really unaffected.
Even though this isn't an Adblock bug, it is possible to avoid it somehow -- the built-in image blocker uses the content-policy system, and doesn't die when applets load.
Georgie2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004    Post subject: Problem solved, or situation greatly improved. Reply with quote

Hi there, it's me again. Although I have not posted for weeks, I have still been following this thread with great attention through the last month. Well, the time has finally come for me to add to the discussion again.

Guys, it seems that Sun have been working on our little problem.

I just donwloaded and installed the latest stable build of the Java VM, version 1.4.2.03, and to my utmost pleasure, I have to state, that the situation is vastly improved. Using Mozilla 1.5 with Sun JavaVM 14203 and Adblock 05d2n34, all under Win98SE, I can load Livecharts and all the problematic applet-sites without any crashes.

Java applet loading is vastly improved, stability is excellent, speed is much better than it used to be. Loading the applets - after downloading them - still takes several times what it takes without Adblock installed, but while Livecharts would *never* load with Java VM 14201, it does in about 40s with JavaVM 14203. The speed improvement is very noticable with all applets.

Although it can still be improved significantly, this is not the time for me to complain, but to rejoice, thus I am shutting up after just saying once more: install Sun Java VM 1.4.2.03, and much of the "Adblock-Java" problem will disappear.

Good luck, and a Happy New Year!

Georgie Smile
Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I cannot replicated Georgie2's success. I just uninstalled JRE1.4.2.01 and installed JRE1.4.2.03. I am also using Adblock 05d2n34, on WinXP Home SP1, and games.yahoo.com does not work any better than it did before. I never went to livecharts so I can't say if it works better now than it did before.
Lisa

oh yeah, I use firebird 0.7, not seamonkey. i don't know if that makes any difference as well.
Org

I'm sorry to say that I can confirm Lisa's findings. JRE 1.4.2_03 didn't make any change here. Firebird still freezes with many Java programs if Adblock is active. I'm using WinXP Pro, Adblock n34 and Firebird V0.7.
Fnystal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004    Post subject: No luck with new Java Reply with quote

I will unfortunately have to back Org up - no luck with java 1.4.2_03 for me either.
Georgie2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004    Post subject: Spoke too soon... Reply with quote

Well, I really hate this cr*p with Java!!

It seems I really spoke a little soon. My apologies.

The problem is definitely not cured by the latest Java release. In fact, I have no way of knowing whether the latest Java VM makes a difference at all.

See, a few days ago, thanks to a very special constellation of circumstances, I could load the Livecharts page/applet in Mozilla, a feat I had not achieved for months before. Thus my exuberance resulted in the posts about the success. Then, the next day I also realized how mistaken I was. Just like others, I saw no improvement at all, I was not able to load Livecharts at all.

Now you may ask, how in the hell I was able to do it that one time, but not later. Well, I asked myself the same question. After some experimentation - read hours ... - I have the answer: I have to agree with Y3K, this issue is definitely related to caching. Hold on...

----------------------------------------------------------

So, the one time, when I was able to load Livecharts, I had created special circumstances, because I had just installed everything from scratch, i.e. Mozilla, Java VM, and Adblock 05d2n34. And I just started surfing, then after some time just tried Livecharts out of curiosity, and there it was!

Then later, starting from here, while trying to understand what had happened, I tried all the possible permutations, and here is what I have learnt. Again, my setup is Win98SE + Moz 1.5 + Adblock 05d2n34.

It is possible to load Livecharts, provided that:

a - the Livecharts web pages are not cached by Mozilla
b - the Livecharts applet is not cached by Mozilla
c - one has just visited with Mozilla a web page containing a "harmless" Java applet, thus the Java VM is already in memory/loaded.

Please try this, and Rue, please, start thinking about what changes when a page and applet does not come from the net, but is in the cache, be it disk or memory cache.

The easiest steps to reach the setup above are the following:
a - clear Mozilla's cache, and restart Moz if you will
b - clear your Java cache, or the offending applet selectively. To do either, you have to open the Java Control panel, either from the Control Panel or from the Java systray icon, in Windows.
c - and this one is tricky: in order to load Livecharts, first the Java VM has to be loaded already, and second, just prior to loading the Livecharts page, one has to load another page that contains a "harmless applet, i.e. one that loads relatively effortlessly and without crashing Moz. Mind you, loading a third web page between the harmless Java page and Livecharts is the key for disaster, you get a crash as usual. It is as if loading a harmless applet created a one-page Java window in which one can load 1 web page with a problematic applet. This window - since it is only open for 1 page - becomes shut by loading a non-Java web page, or a web page containing a problematic applet. Another possibility is loading a web page with a harmless applet, then opening a second tab, and as long as the harmless applet's tab is open, the 1-page window is open too, thus one can load Livecharts. Of course, you can only load Livecharts once, because loading it immediately cancels conditions "a" and "b". No going back without a restart....

I hope everybody is getting it by now. Yes, for the purpose of a "harmless" applet, I used Earningsbase.

In short, the issue is cache-dependent to a great extent. Now, I would really love to understand why Adblock causes this when none of the built-in content blockers do.

Rue, I hope this is a good start. Please, let me know your impressions.

One last thing: just for you Yahoo gamers. Yahoo games is a very complicated matter. I have found no way to load the page following the sponsor ad. It contains an applet called "y.vmd.0", which is impossible to load, at least I have not been able to get to the actual game pages with Java enabled. My suggestion: disable Java in the browser preferences until you get to the page following the sponsor ad page, the one which has the "play now" button in the middle. Enable Java, and click the button: your game will load relatively uneventfully.

I hope all this will help us.

Georgie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004    Post subject: Re: Spoke too soon... Reply with quote

Georgie2 wrote:
One last thing: just for you Yahoo gamers. Yahoo games is a very complicated matter. I have found no way to load the page following the sponsor ad. It contains an applet called "y.vmd.0", which is impossible to load, at least I have not been able to get to the actual game pages with Java enabled. My suggestion: disable Java in the browser preferences until you get to the page following the sponsor ad page, the one which has the "play now" button in the middle. Enable Java, and click the button: your game will load relatively uneventfully.

Thanks Georgie that works and I think I can live with that for now Smile
Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a followup, there's an extension for Firebird called PrefButtons that allows you to toggle Java (and a bunch of other things) through an option right on the toolbar. It makes getting passed that yahoo page a lot less annoying.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Georgie's (premature) announcement, I've been looking progressively deeper into this issue.
I still don't know if a workaround is possible, but the issue seems to involve Adblock's xpcom-registration procedure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004    Post subject: WORKSFORME Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Guest:

Using this build and also d2 nightly build 34, both livecharts and yahoo games work fine for me no problems at all.
Platform - Linux kernel 2.4.22
Browser - Mozilla 1.4.1
Java - J2SE 1.4.2_2
vfwlkr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004    Post subject: java / adblock / yahoo games Reply with quote

I had the same problem too.. did anyone open a bug?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=329189#329189

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20040102 Firebird/0.7+

Adblock 0.5d2 nightly build 35.
vfwlkr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004    Post subject: Re: Spoke too soon... Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Georgie2 wrote:

Thanks Georgie that works and I think I can live with that for now Smile

That worked for me too! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both d1 and d2 build 34 work on Linux here as well. Could we have "applet-enabled" version for those of us that have no problems, or maybe just for everyone if it doesn't actually help those that do have the bug?

Fedora Core 1 (kernel 2.4.22 + lot of patches)
Mozilla 1.5 (Seamonkey)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031202

Sun Java (JDK)
java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2-b28)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-b28, mixed mode)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

build 35 works too. Same setup, except now it's Mozilla 1.6.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
Yes, I can offer a pref to re-enable Applet-handling.
Most of the code that handled them is still present and unaltered; however one or two things in "List Ad-blockable.." were removed. Give it some time, then bump this thread if, after a few builds, it seems I've forgotten. I can land this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Adblock nightly 35 with JRE 1.4.2_03, Mozilla 1.6, Windows 2000. I've been unable to run Yahoo's web messenger with adblock installed or disabled - Mozilla will freeze. If I uninstall it, it runs.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads-up -- here's where we stand:
In testing, I've taken Adblock to functional parity with the Image Manager, yet the java-issue remains. To me, this means something isn't cooperating in the chain between the content-policy system and Adblock.
Unfortunately, the one remaining difference (Adblock vs. the Image Manager) is unresolvable: their code-type. The Image Manager is compiled-C++, while Adblock is runtime JavaScript. The content-policy system is also C++. In order for it to communicate with Adblock, a mediator known as XPCONNECT interprets between the JavaScript and compiled-code. I think the interpretor's overhead is somehow allowing the Java Handler to take over when it shouldn't -- and hence our timing conflict.
If you're familiar with lxr.mozilla and compiling custom-builds, you can help by editing the image-manager to block objects -- to see if this is right.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004    Post subject: Possible solution Reply with quote

Hi, I was reading this thread and had the same problems when accessing the livecharts.com site.

After I upgraded java to 1.5 beta 1, the problems seemed to go away and the page loaded nicely. Could anyone try this too?

The Java beta software can be downloaded using this link: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
Darguner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tom's solution works to me.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; de-AT; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007
Adblock build 35.
Org

I'm happy to say that I can confirm the finding of Tom.

Every Java applet I tried worked perfectly with the latest Sun beta version, including Livecharts and Yahoo games. I'm using Adblock v0.5d2b35 with Firefox 0.8 in WinXP.
rue
Developer

Outstanding. To recap, the current status of applet-handling under Adblock:
Linux: works.
Windows: works with Java 1.5b1
Mac Os X: waiting for Java 1.5
Mac Classic: fails
Dougieha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I'm on Win XP Pro SP1, using Java 1.5-beta, with Adblock v0.5d2b35, and the Java problem still happens to me at the following site on occasion: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kotx.shtml

In fact, any of the NWS Java radar loop sites do the same thing. Now, the strange thing is that it doesn't always happen. Only every so often does the problem occur. However, if I disable Adblock, it never occurs. The error in the Java console is thus:

No filenames found in PARAMeters...
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission exitVM)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkExit(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exit(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.exit(Unknown Source)
at AniS.init(AniS.java:153)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Like rue said above, it seems to be a timing issue. And whether the applet loads from the cache or not seems to also make a difference, but I can't quite pin it down. So, unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be fixed yet.
rue
Developer

Dougieha:
Which browser / build are you running?
Org

I was able to reproduce the occasional freezes at the weather radar site, but I wonder if this is related to Adblock and Mozilla at all, because I experienced the very same problems with Internet Explorer as well.
Darguner

Weather radar site works fine with Mozilla and IE. Try to uninstall all Java builds and then install Java 1.5. I hope it helps.

Win2000 SP4 (with all updates), Mozilla 1.5, Java 1.5, Adblock v0.5d2b35.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Dougieha:
Which browser / build are you running?

Sorry, I forgot to check back here. I'm using the latest nightly of Firebird/Fox:

UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; compatible; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040211 Firebird/0.8.0+

with Java 1.5-beta.

I've uninstalled Java completely, then reinstalled, and it makes no difference. However, if I disable Adblock, it works without fail.

Dougieha
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougieha:
Worth double-checking: type "about:plugins" into your browser and verify the Java install.
If you and Org are running near-identical, then something's up.
Dougieha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPJPI150.dll
    Java Plug-in 1.5.0 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type    Description    Suffixes    Enabled
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.5    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.5    JavaBeans       Yes
Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPOJI610.dll

application/x-java-vm    Java Virtual Machine for Netscape       Yes
Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPJava32.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1    JavaBeans       Yes
Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPJava13.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1    JavaBeans       Yes
Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPJava14.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5    JavaBeans       Yes
Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPJava12.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.2    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2    JavaBeans       Yes
Java Plug-in

File name: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Firefox\Firefox\plugins\NPJava11.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1    JavaBeans       Yes
application/x-java-applet    Java Applet       Yes
application/x-java-bean    JavaBeans       Yes

Yep..it's all installed ok.

Dougieha
kenirving

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 0.8 with Win 98SE and adblock 0.5d2 35. After a miserable ten days of no Adblock, when I realized it had something to do with all the stalls on java sites, I took the plunge and installed JRE 1.5.0 Beta. Everything now appears to work just fine where Java is concerned, whether Adblock is on, off, installed, uninstalled, or just in the other room kicking back and having a beer. Mozilla 1.6 is actually a bit wonky with some java applets on the test sites I used (e.g., it crashes when trying to print a sample label at the usps.com click-and-ship demo page), but when it acts up, it does so whether adblock is present or not. Firefox with adblock installed cruises through everything with no glitches and no crashes, so I doubt that the one java problem I've had since installing 1.5.0b has anything at all to do with adblock. Oh, and I tried http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kotx.shtml which was referenced as a problem in one post. It's running merrily away in another tab as I write this (with adblock enabled).

As a non-programmer and avid web surfer, by the way, I find Java mostly a major annoyance (loading . . . loading . . . loading). This recent business with adblock is just one example of why I sometimes wish java would just go away (and no disrespect intended for those who make their living with it). On the positive side, it seems to me that the 1.5.0 beta makes applets load and run more quickly, so I can certainly live with that.
vfwlkr

I can confirm that yahoo games works perfectly fine with adblock enabled
(java 1.5.0b on winxp)

thanks for the awesome extension

_________
/[^o]ads/
rue
Developer

Dougieha:
Well, so far it seems you're the exception. Thankfully.
-
Everyone:
I can't stress enough how valuable your feedback is. If you haven't done so, give Java 1.5b1 a whirl, run some of the problem-sites (above), and tell us how it went.
We need a slew of works for me's to consider this resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004    Post subject: Java 1.5 works! Reply with quote

WOW!! Java 1.5 loads things 10 to 15 times faster with adblock than Java 1.4. Java 1.5b resolves the issues for me! Very Happy
Dougieha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...well, I haven't seen the problem lately, so maybe something happened to make it better.

I did notice this bug in Bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=145979

I think that there might be something going on there, but I'm not really sure. Who knows? Anyhow, I'll keep this thread updated if I see the problem again.

Dougieha
Jafe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblock is one of my favorite extensions! Keep up the great work.

Just some more data for you guys: I uninstalled the JRE 1.4 and installed 1.5 Beta 1. It stopped the crashes, but Yahoo! Pool seemed to run extremely slowly (not complaining, it is in beta after all). Just some more data. Smile
Prime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Dougieha:
Well, so far it seems you're the exception. Thankfully.
-
Everyone:
I can't stress enough how valuable your feedback is. If you haven't done so, give Java 1.5b1 a whirl, run some of the problem-sites (above), and tell us how it went.
We need a slew of works for me's to consider this resolved.

Wow. This java upgrade has fixed all the sites I've had problems with. This one has taken up to 4 minutes to load in the past. Now its just a few seconds.
Prime

Addemdum to above. I've also found that some java apps that were working before now no longer function. This has nothing to do with AdBlock, of course. Just an FYI. Hopefully, this will be fixed with the non-beta release.
Prime

It looks like there's a major bug in the java beta. It seems to fail on java navagation applets. Tried it on a half dozen different ones. If the applet is supposed to open a new page in the browser, is simply does nothing. I reverted back to release 1.4.2.03, and the navagation applets work fine. Of course, they take 3 minutes to load, with AdBlock installed. Confused

If you use a lot of sites that use java apps for navagation, you may want to re-think installing this beta.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to uninstall AdBlock to get Java 100% properly functional; Mozilla 1.6 no longer hangs on sites w/Java applets.

Sorry, guys, this bug still is in here.

Java is 1.4.2_04

Platform: WIN 98SE
1.2 Ghz AMD
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Java 1.5 beta.
Glenn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Java 1.5b a while ago, and it did take care of the problems of the grinding halt in conjunction with Adblock. Unfortunately, I've also found that some applets simply don't work (specifically, the speed test applets at DSLReports.com)... Which I believe to be a Java problem, most likely having nothing to do with Adblock.

Since I would like those applets to work, I've had to roll back to Java 1.4.2, and await the official release of Java 1.5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: