The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock 0.5.3.40
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005    Post subject: Adblock 0.5.3.40 Reply with quote

Official Adblock has now been updated. With a lot more stuff added by rue including whitelisting. You can check it out here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=10

Last edited by mcm_ham on Thu Jan 12, 2006; edited 33 times in total
G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabs for blocked sites are both useable and closeable.
mcm_ham

Yeah, you're right it seems to work fine on Firefox 1.0.x, it's only the trunk builds affected. In the code if the page is to load it returns "apiConstants.ACCEPT", but if it's blocked then it doesn't return anything. I simply added a return statement for "apiConstants.REJECT_REQUEST" and that fixed the problem on the trunk builds.

Last edited by mcm_ham on Fri Aug 26, 2005; edited 1 time in total
Zachariah

I'd appreciate it if rue (and other devs) would make mcm_ham's version the latest official dev build on the adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html page and on https://addons.mozilla.org/ -- or give us a reason why not.

that ^ is the important part, while this part is desirable but not necessary:

maybe call it "Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39b"

(or the "39b" could be "40" ... or the version number could be simplified to "0.5.5" much like Mozilla Firefox will be going to x.5 soon (skipping .1))

• If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Perhaps it is time to fork the project.

Anyone knows why there are no more updates on adblock.mozdev.org?
Zachariah

Anonymous wrote:
because development stopped on v0.5 when work started on v0.6

JavaScript Console:

Error: Expected color but found 'default'. Error in parsing value for property 'border-color'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://adblock/content/adblock.css
Line: 33

Error: Expected color but found 'default'. Error in parsing value for property 'border-color'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 35
Ken Cooper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

That will never happen. mcm_ham and others who are capable, will continue to improve upon adblock.

I don't understand why even little updates are not done by the official dev team, unless they are only working on one issue and it must be a very big one. I have lost interest in waiting; when it's ready wake me up.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
JavaScript Console:

I've looked at fixing all the console errors you get including those exposed by setting javascript.options.strict and javascript.options.showInConsole to true under about:config for Adblock Plus. But they're minor and I'm only adding the fixes to bugs that actually make a difference to either Firefox 1.0.x and Deer Park Alpha to the official version listed here.

Last edited by mcm_ham on Sat Jul 30, 2005; edited 1 time in total
mcm_ham

Zachariah wrote:
that ^ is the important part, while this part is desirable but not necessary:

maybe call it "Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39b"

(or the "39b" could be "40" ... or the version number could be simplified to "0.5.5" much like Mozilla Firefox will be going to x.5 soon (skipping .1))

Actually that might be important as well, so that existing users will get notified of an update and take advantage of the workaround for Bug 274425 which is still receiving daily about thirty incidences.

Last edited by mcm_ham on Fri Aug 12, 2005; edited 2 times in total
s33m33

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

[quote="Ken Cooper"]
Anonymous wrote:
I have lost interest in waiting; when it's ready wake me up.

i second that.

original adblock is dead: http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2251

One year for developing a new version ist too much. Adblock Plus is now the new official version! Adblock is not maintained anymore.
G

I don't think you know what the word "official" means.

Devs of original adblock do not care about it. They do not appear/support/develop/answer... their practically not available...

So why should they now appear and announce end of development? Rolling Eyes Do you still believe in Santa?
G

rue doesn't post much anymore, but wonkothesane is around.

I'm guessing that they don't answer questions here often because the same things are asked every single day, and they're tired of answering them. Instead, users like Zachariah, Org, and many others have taken up the task, leaving them with little reason to respond to more inane repeats of "Is Adblock Dead?" threads themselves.
Benoit

Anonymous wrote:
JavaScript Console:

That was me, by the way. >_>
me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, you'd think they could make just some minor change and bump the version up a bit just to show that something, ANYTHING is progressing.

That, or just rename it and move forward with the same code...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now see Adblock Plus.

Maybe THAT should just be renamed and then people can install THAT and move forward from there. How about "Ad-be-gone"? Very Happy
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Object Block" would be a better name IMO (for either/both project(s))

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachariah wrote:

In your quote, it says "• Latest official Adblock! " with a link.

I suggest you make it more clear EXACTLY WHERE on that page the latest version is in order to install. Thanks.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Zachariah wrote:

In your quote, it says "• Latest official Adblock! " with a link.

I suggest you make it more clear EXACTLY WHERE on that page the latest version is in order to install. Thanks.
good idea!

... edit:
unfortunately if I try and add anything else to my sig it tells me:
Quote:
Your signature is too long.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Ok I downloaded Adblock 0.5.2.039
(Click here to download). Now what do I do?
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicking on the Adblock link itself will bring up the installer. But if you want to download it then to install you need to drag the file onto an open browser window. Alternatively you can install the file by going to "File->Open File...".

blaah, I keep falling for this thread.. for the second time I'm like, SWEET! Finally Adblock for trunk nightlies *click* Awww, damn Smile
mcm_ham

Well actually after some help, the version listed here should now work with the trunk nightlies. Try installing it again.

It also looks like the patch for Bug 302276 has finally landed on the branch. I haven't tried getting Adblock to work with this new security feature but have just turned it off. Unless the official Adblock version is changed soon we are going to see a lot of complaints about Adblock not working with Firefox 1.5 beta when that's released to the public.
Ken Cooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm_ham wrote:
Unless the official Adblock version is changed soon we are going to see a lot of complaints about Adblock not working with Firefox 1.5 beta when that's released to the public.

I would be interested in an unofficial version that would correct this issue. As it is now, I am using your fixed "official version."

THANK YOU!!
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that issue was corrected a month ago so you probably already have it. But if you were talking about the fix for the trunk builds then you can grab the latest unofficial version here.

By the looks of it though, the fix mentioned for the trunk also solves an issue that's appeared recently on the branch builds that causes Firefox to not close when "Clear private data when closing Deer Park" is enabled.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! BTW, are there any differences between adblock_plus_0.5.9.2.xpi and Adblock_Plus_0.5.9.2_enh.xpi? Thanks.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the extensionmirror moderators just add "_enh" to any extension that's a mod of another one.
bzbarsky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005    Post subject: Is disabling XPCNativeWrappers a must? Reply with quote

> Turn off secure access to content objects, otherwise
> Adblockable-Items list is empty, see site.

Is there any way to make things work without this change? What does adblock actually need to get at from chrome?

Please contact me at "b z at m i t dot e d u" with details? If nothing else, maybe we can make use of xbl:implements in a useful way here....
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help bzbarsky, Adblock is storing information about elements in an array at the top DOM level and is the major source of problem. I'm learning about XPCNativeWrapper now to know how to handle it but it seems like a never ending string of changes I'm having to make so is taking me a while.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit busy at the moment to sort these out (will happen next week) so will just list the bugs that affect Adblock for reference:

• If the filter list is really long like Filterset.G plus 20 more, selecting a filter near the bottom causes that filter to not be highlightable next time preference panel starts.
  • Get XPCNativeWrapper to work without resorting to turning it off.
  • https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306754
adblockuser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock - Fixed version here! Reply with quote

thanks as this build in this window fixed it. Should change the number of the build as that is confusing. I really see the biggest hang up with the future of ff to be the fact that their are hundreds of extensions that people really love that are disabled on every upgrade of ff. That is going to discourage upgrading and make people give up on the product. I like the way the extensions all check for upgrades but of the 20 I had in deer park alpha 2 now about 4 work with ff1.5 beta. Adblocker is a must. I love the way it rips ads out of sites. Ill bet it really pisses off commercial website owners, and once it becomes mainstream it will be defeated. "Turn off adblocker or you cant look at our site!!!"

mcm_ham wrote:
Because of all the reports about Adblock Official not installing, I'm posting a link to a fixed up version that contains a couple of other simple bug fixes.

Adblock 0.5.2.039
(Click here to download)

Bug Fixes:
  • Max Fx version is too low in install.rdf file which prevents Adblock from being installed offline. (Online is ok because the update.rdf allows it to work with Firefox up to 10.0).
  • Regexp link is broken. Should point to the new site for the old devedge content that the Mozilla Foundation acquired.
  • Should use platform dependent new line charcters for exported text file and automatically append the ".txt" extension.
  • Can no longer access Tools menu on Firefox if Deinstall from help menu is used, should use browser test so that the menu item is only visible on Mozilla. [Fx 1.0.x only]
  • Workaround for Bug 274425 exposed by Adblock, Firefox's top crasher.

Firefox 1.5 Development Fixes:
  • Going to a site that's blocked by site blocking doesn't display blocked notification and makes tab unusable and unclosable.
  • Scrolling the filter list with the mouse causes some lines not to display.
  • Fixed an issue where after choosing to edit a filter and not selecting it, it would not finish being in edit mode when another filter is selected.
  • Turn off secure access to content objects, otherwise Adblockable-Items list is empty, see site.

Firefox 2.0 Development Fixes:
  • Fixed bug mentioned here, restoring compatibility with the trunk. (Thanks to bzbarsky for pointing me in the right direction).
adblockuser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock - Fixed version here! Reply with quote

thanks as this build in this window fixed it. Should change the number of the build as that is confusing. I really see the biggest hang up with the future of ff to be the fact that their are hundreds of extensions that people really love that are disabled on every upgrade of ff. That is going to discourage upgrading and make people give up on the product. I like the way the extensions all check for upgrades but of the 20 I had in deer park alpha 2 now about 4 work with ff1.5 beta. Adblocker is a must. I love the way it rips ads out of sites. Ill bet it really pisses off commercial website owners, and once it becomes mainstream it will be defeated. "Turn off adblocker or you cant look at our site!!!"

mcm_ham wrote:
Because of all the reports about Adblock Official not installing, I'm posting a link to a fixed up version that contains a couple of other simple bug fixes.

Adblock 0.5.2.039
(Click here to download)

Bug Fixes:
  • Max Fx version is too low in install.rdf file which prevents Adblock from being installed offline. (Online is ok because the update.rdf allows it to work with Firefox up to 10.0).
  • Regexp link is broken. Should point to the new site for the old devedge content that the Mozilla Foundation acquired.
  • Should use platform dependent new line charcters for exported text file and automatically append the ".txt" extension.
  • Can no longer access Tools menu on Firefox if Deinstall from help menu is used, should use browser test so that the menu item is only visible on Mozilla. [Fx 1.0.x only]
  • Workaround for Bug 274425 exposed by Adblock, Firefox's top crasher.

Firefox 1.5 Development Fixes:
  • Going to a site that's blocked by site blocking doesn't display blocked notification and makes tab unusable and unclosable.
  • Scrolling the filter list with the mouse causes some lines not to display.
  • Fixed an issue where after choosing to edit a filter and not selecting it, it would not finish being in edit mode when another filter is selected.
  • Turn off secure access to content objects, otherwise Adblockable-Items list is empty, see site.

Firefox 2.0 Development Fixes:
  • Fixed bug mentioned here, restoring compatibility with the trunk. (Thanks to bzbarsky for pointing me in the right direction).
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall do, once I get the remaining issues sorted (won't have a just to look at them until a week away) I'll bump the version number to 0.5.3.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock - Fixed version here! Reply with quote

adblockuser wrote:
Adblocker is a must. I love the way it rips ads out of sites. Ill bet it really pisses off commercial website owners, and once it becomes mainstream it will be defeated. "Turn off adblocker or you cant look at our site!!!"

If the way Adblock is promoted/marketed on http://adlbock.mozdev.org is any indication, it will NEVER become mainstream. The site just doesn't speak to the Average Joe (and is kept ticking on life-support through the 'unofficial' kind efforts of others only). Perhaps obscurity & user-frustration is what they want, but if not, I'd like to make some suggestions.

First I'll talk about the site and what it communicates to the masses:
1) In my opinion, http://adblock.mozdev.org is NOT designed for the average user in mind. Let's look at the opening paragraphs:
--------------
Adblock is a content filtering plug-in for the Mozilla and Firebird browsers. It is both more robust and more precise than the built-in image blocker.

Adblock allows the user to specify filters, which remove unwanted content based on the source-address. If this sounds complicated, don't worry: it's not.

Just add a few filters. Every time a webpage loads, Adblock will intercept and disable the elements matching your filters. See?- nothing to it.

------------
Nothing to it? Not for the average user. Average user asks "what is Firebird?". Nobody outside of geek circles knows that! Update it. Many others go: "What is source-address?". What is "filters"? etc.

Think about the AVERAGE non-techical user FIRST. The geeks can find more specific information as they learn from the application and want to control it more precisely. Present an EASY, no-fuss 'picture' to the viewer FIRST if you want it to reach out to all corners of the globe. They want to block ads! Tell them this thing BLOCKS ads in unambiguous language. Tell them it's FREE. Tell them it's for Mozilla Suite and Mozilla Firefox (not Firebird!).

My proposal:
What is Adblock?
Adblock blocks ads. Adblock is a FREE add-on for Mozilla browsers (for the free web browsers Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Suite from http://www.mozilla.org). If you're fed up with ads and use a Mozilla browser to surf the web, Adblock is for you!

Assuming they keep Adblock in its current form (and don't update it), the next paragraph would go:
Adblock ONLY blocks ads you specify with a right-click. A menu pops up with where you will see an item starting with Adlbock which you can use to block the item in questions. It's all up to YOU what you want blocked. Want most ads blocked without thinking? Then we recommend FilterSet.G.

Here's how
(which is a clickable link with a visual guide on how to install FilterSet.G filters)
---

2) Another limitation of http://adblock.mozev.org and communication with the masses: the Install link that really isn't. 3 Clicks and unnecessary garbage to install it!

The install link leads to http://adblock.mozdev.org/installation.html which is a totally superfluous and unnecessary page confusing the average user once more.

"What's a Dev. Build? Must have clicked on the wrong page. How do I install this?"
Leave ALL that stuff to a changelog (Revision History) page.
It's unnecessary. It's confusing. It's superfluous.

3) Once the poor user has finally had the 'guts' to click on Dev. Builds (s)he is greeted with more garbage and confusion to go through before (s)he gets to the installl. Is the goal to make them run away or try the Extension with minimum fuss?

I have other suggestions too, but I'll shut up.

To add insult to injury (or injury to insult), modified versions have been needed to install the extension offline for some time. With Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 now in testing, modified versions are needed to work at all. What happens in November when the Beta becomes Final? Is the stale (original) Adblock site and install still gonna be confusing and frustrating users then?

Adblock for the masses?
Is Adblock an easy thing to tell someone (outside of your technical group of friends) to go out and install without fuss (in an instant message or email)? I would argue not. Not by a long shot. The website doesn't help at all and the lack of official updates and promotion outside of word-of-mouth and (what should be unnecessary) harder-to-find updates to the original is the most alarming. If there's no official update for the next release of Firefox 1.5 Final on https://addons.mozilla.org , I suspect things will just get more obscure and confusing, and ONLY for the geek among us.

Adblock for the masses? The way things are now, I very much doubt it.

I'm just tired of seeing great products NOT promoted to the masses. This product IS for the masses, not a niche subset of geeks. Market it that way.

hey man, why do you write so much? No developer is reading it, so your work was useless.

ADBLOCK IS NOT DEVELOPED ANY MORE!!
Zachariah

1 mcm_ham, I would like to request that you make obj-tabs be OFF by default on this fixed version.

Anonymous wrote:

you don't know that

mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Zachariah, it should be off by default now. I've made the version 0.5.2.050 to avoid confusion and when it's ready will label it 0.5.3.
Raymond

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005    Post subject: fix link Reply with quote

the link:

(Click here to download)

is linked to adblock-0.5.2.039 instead of adblock-0.5.2.050.xpi

can you fix it?
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've changed the link now.
Tel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005    Post subject: Working... Reply with quote

I had the problem of Flash not loading and Ads not blocking with Firefox 1.5b1 and the official Adblocl release on addons.mozilla.org . With this latest Adblock it's work fine now. Smile
Raymond

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005    Post subject: update build to official website Reply with quote

Hello,

can you update the website http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html
with the latest build?

There are only linked the nightly build 39

Thanks

Raymond
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005    Post subject: Re: update build to official website Reply with quote

Raymond wrote:
Hello,

can you update the website http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html
with the latest build?

There are only linked the nightly build 39

Thanks

Raymond
The "fixed" version in this thread is unofficial (under mcm_ham's control), while the one on the page you pointed to is the official version (not under mcm_ham's control) -- but maybe rue and mcm_ham can work something out

until then, if you like the "fixed" version better, then just use that (and point others to it if you want)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guys, I can only say congrats on managing to have the drawbacks of both open source, and proprietary software, simultaneously.

As far as I can tell, there is only one source for the "official" source code, and it is apparently 1 year old (probably obsolete?) code. How can we have "many eyes finding bugs quickly" when there's only 4 eyes (2 devs) who can see the REAL official code? I understand how CVS can be annoying, but without updating it, any time an outside developer wants to help, he can only fix old code that's probably already been fixed.

Please keep the CVS repository updated, so that other developers might be able to help most easily.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems Flash Player 8 final has now been released. Unfortunately Obj-tabs still stop flash clips from appearing. So just commenting here as yet another issue to look into.

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
Mahakala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005    Post subject: Still error with latest Adblock and Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 Reply with quote

hi there,

after a new installation of adblock flash isn't still be played but the adblock-item is show where it should be.
can you help? win xp sp1.

thanks,
thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I install adblock is to block flash, Shame it isn't working. I can't go back to 1.0.6 as the new firefox has too many good features I would miss.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
The main reason I install adblock is to block flash, Shame it isn't working. I can't go back to 1.0.6 as the new firefox has too many good features I would miss.
it is working

just disable obj-tabs, retard
Mahakala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
it is working

just disable obj-tabs, retard

thanks that worked!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblock iFrame and Image can not work in 1.6a1.2005091817

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005    Post subject: Re: ! Reply with quote

Ken Cooper wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

That will never happen. mcm_ham and others who are capable, will continue to improve upon adblock.

I don't understand why even little updates are not done by the official dev team, unless they are only working on one issue and it must be a very big one. I have lost interest in waiting; when it's ready wake me up.

Now mcm IS the official dev team!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's that compared to Adblock Plus?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Trunk builds are totally screwed up if you use AdBlock - the Fx devs are saying it's AdBlock's fault; is there any chance of a fix? The internet without AdBlock is Shock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005    Post subject: wmp problems fixed Reply with quote

I don't know what exactly was changed to make it work but now that I've installed .050 over .039, wmp is now working as it did when I was running 1.06.

It was a strange problem. I reinstalled firefox to try and fix a table bug that was causing text to disappear and found that even though I could hear videos being played, nothing would show on screen, not even the player itself. This problem wasn't addressed in the media player thread on mozillazine.

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for fixing whatever it was that was causing the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

(bump)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to moderators: Please make this topic a sticky! Confused

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the latest firefox trunk build and images not working
Firefox-user!

Thank you!

I am using FF version 1.0.7 is there an adblock update for this FF version? When I go into adv in FF to update it says: that it has found some errors in updating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I am using FF version 1.0.7 is there an adblock update for this FF version? When I go into adv in FF to update it says: that it has found some errors in updating.

I must agree, I updated my FF and I haven't been able to use Adblock since.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I must agree, I updated my FF and I haven't been able to use Adblock since.

Guest, follow these directions:
How to do a really fresh install of Firefox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock - Fixed version here! Reply with quote

tnx
UT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the story with flash plugin 8.0?

I can either block flash or allow it - is there anyway to choose which sites you wish to display flash?
Alan

UT wrote:
I can either block flash or allow it - is there anyway to choose which sites you wish to display flash?

Not in Adblock. I use NoScript for that.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
Adblock_Plus_0.5.9.2_enh.xpi
NJH

I've not tested it, but can you not block anything with .swf then whitelist what you want to keep?
Zachariah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJH wrote:
I've not tested it, but can you not block anything with .swf then whitelist what you want to keep?
you'd need to be using Adblock Plus, not the "Fixed" version at the top of this thread

(since Plus supports whitelists, but Fixed doesn't)

(But, I haven't tested if this is even possible in Plus)

Zachariah wrote:
1 mcm_ham, I would like to request that you make obj-tabs be OFF by default on this fixed version.

Anonymous wrote:

you don't know that

That has been everyone's experience. Therefore, that is what it is at this point in time. I'd love to see it change.

Anyhow, Adblock Plus is now the official Adblock.
Zachariah

Anonymous wrote:

Anyhow, Adblock Plus is now the official Adblock.
That's just way too confusing.

I don't know the stats, but maybe you are trying to say that Adblock Plus is the most advanced version (or latest, or most popular).

Whatever the case may be, IMO it's better to refer to them as:
  • official Adblock (0.5.2.039) (0.5 d2 nightly 39)
  • Adblock Fixed (0.5.2.050)
    and
  • Adblock Plus (0.5.9.2)

or just "Official", "Fixed", and "Plus" for short

And, for the record: rue (the original Adblock developer) has never said that he's abandoned Adblock -- the latest word is that 0.6 is still being developed.

I do understand that that was quite some time ago, and you may have given up, but that doesn't make it true that adblock development has ceased -- you (and I) simply do not have enough information to say whether or not "ADBLOCK IS NOT DEVELOPED ANY MORE" is a true statement. All we can say is that it appears that way so far.

[quote="Zachariah"]
Anonymous wrote:

Whatever the case may be, IMO it's better to refer to them as:
  • official Adblock (0.5.2.039) (0.5 d2 nightly 39)
  • Adblock Fixed (0.5.2.050)
    and
  • Adblock Plus (0.5.9.2)

or just "Official", "Fixed", and "Plus" for short
...[/u].

How about:
Original Adblock 5.2.39
Fixed Original 5.2.50
Adblock Plus 6

or:
Old Adblock
"Jerry rigged" old Adblock
New Adblock

or:
Old Adblock
Patched Old Adblock
Adblock

or:
Broken, unsupported Adblock
Barely working, crutched Adblock
Working Adblock

[quote="Zachariah"]
Anonymous wrote:
And, for the record: rue (the original Adblock developer) has never said that he's abandoned Adblock -- the latest word is that 0.6 is still being developed.

... true that adblock development has ceased -- you (and I) simply do not have enough information to say whether or not "ADBLOCK IS NOT DEVELOPED ANY MORE" is a true statement. All we can say is that it appears that way so far.

Hmmm. Maybe its not that Ford doesn't support the Edsel any more, it is just really hard to find parts.

It ISN'T developed any more. If we see something, then that will change. Until then, that has been the fact.
Mugros

The extension formerly known as "Adblock"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005    Post subject: this works in the 1.5 beta as well Reply with quote

I ran into an issue with Adblock and firefox 1.5 beta 1 where the right-click adblock menu would not come up. This latest version seems to work fine so far. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugros wrote:
The extension formerly known as "Adblock"

I like that Mr. Green
Espenfjo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Same here, i have to highlight many images before they will show them selves :\ (eg. the smilies on the left)
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espenfjo wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Same here, i have to highlight many images before they will show them selves :\ (eg. the smilies on the left)

This has been fixed in Adblock Plus Dev, I will have a look at porting the fix to Adblock listed here.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=266291

Code:
// hide node, so the frame-swap doesn't show
node.style.setProperty('visibility', 'hidden', 'important');

Well I finally got around to investigating the Flash Player 8 with Obj-tabs bug after putting it off until the final release of the flash player. Embarrassingly I found the reason for the flash disappearing within 5 min. The quoted line is what causes flash to disappear and because it fails further down, which I'm still investigating a fix for, it never executes the code to unhide the flash objects. So the builds listed here have that line removed for the moment so apart from where it's failing it basically works.
KingOfChaos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version works for beta 1.5?
mcm_ham

Anonymous wrote:

Should be fixed now.

KingOfChaos wrote:
Which version works for beta 1.5?

Either the version listed here or Adblock Plus.
TimTucker

mcm_ham -- Thanks for the latest update. It seems to be working great in the latest SeaMonkey nightlies.
KingOfChaos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, something is wonky. When I click on the link, it asks me to download the file instead of install it like a normal extension would.
mcm_ham

If you click on the big Adblock link it will bring up the installer. You must of clicked on here which will download the file instead.
MoonMoon

KingOfChaos wrote:
Well, something is wonky. When I click on the link, it asks me to download the file instead of install it like a normal extension would.

if you can't install via File --> Open File or the web install script link.

about:config
xpinstall.enabled <-- modify the boolean "false" to "true"

It may happen if you're upgrade from firefox 1.0.x to 1.5 beta RC2 with previous existing profile.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators: -->PLEASE<-- make this topic sticky!
RoelSan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005    Post subject: Adblock didt not instaal on 1.0.6 Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

AdBlock was the main reason to use Firefox.

I'm back to IE using the great Maxthon engine for it.

Gives me tabbed browsing, object filter/blocking, speed and ...

Last but not least ... compatability and upgrades in add ons.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005    Post subject: Re: Adblock didt not instaal on 1.0.6 Reply with quote

RoelSan wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

AdBlock was the main reason to use Firefox.

I'm back to IE using the great Maxthon engine for it.

Gives me tabbed browsing, object filter/blocking, speed and ...

Last but not least ... compatability and upgrades in add ons.
... yeah, and you also get the security-through-obscurity, as well as an incomplete implementation of the HTML 4 specification (it's missing the Q element, at least) I don't know how you can even call a program a browser if it doesn't support all the HTML elements (and how you can bring up compatibility when IE's not even compatible with HTML is quite a laugh), but whatever

(oh, and of course there's the ever popular lack of full CSS or PNG support, too)

BTW, I'm not disrespecting you, I just hate that browser and I wish MS would get off their lazy butts and update it for all platforms or just finally agree to call it quits so people can move on to web browsers which actually use web standards

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed the current version and during the install it lists the version number as 0.5.2.052 but after restarting Firefox the version number is listed as 'nightly 51' under Tools - Extensions. Is this just a naming oversight or has the link not been updated yet?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no problem here, the version name is shown correctly.

Yes, i've just installed it again and now i'm getting 'nightly 52'. I guess someone surreptitiously sneaked the right version in there since my last post.
mcm_ham

Ah sorry, you must have downloaded not long after I first uploaded. There were a couple of other places I needed to enter the version information which I fixed a couple of hours later. Didn't read your post otherwise I would of responded.

In case people were wandering, the change from 50 to 51 was the alt text bug on the trunk and from 51 to 52 the site blocked page fix (which I bet not many people knew Adblock even had). Although that last fix still has issues where it's meant to add the page to history so you can do things like hit refresh and opening a blocked link in a tab seems to load in the current tab (not dealt with in the original code).
anonn

rue seems active at mozillazine forums, in the session saver thread:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/search.php?search_author=rue

maybe someone should PM him and ask if he has adblock 0.6 in the works Smile[/b]
mcm_ham

I doubt rue would appreciate lots of private messages. But the developers have already stated that Adblock 0.6 is in the works and that it has been rewritten pretty much from scratch but there is still functionality that needs implementing. You'll get nothing different then that from rue if he does choose to respond.
guest666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005    Post subject: mirror? Reply with quote

download link is dead.

anyone have it hosted on a mirror? or torrent?

anything?
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've changed the link to point to a different site but will probably change it back when the site is back up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachariah wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
because development stopped on v0.5 when work started on v0.6

They are actively working on 0.6? where are they anyways mcm is does a fine job, what is going on where am?
Wanda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005    Post subject: Regaining ctrl over Adblock Reply with quote

A week after upgrading to FF 1.5b2, then with every version of Adblock on this list so far, I no longer seem to be able to turn off image-blocking (of illustrations) on web pages where I previously blocked them because they were attached to garish ads. Complete uninstall of program and extension in all possible orders has failed. Right-clicking on the ad doesn't bring up a context menu choice, and neither deleting all of the blocked sites, turning off the extension, or removing as many parts of it as I can locate seems to help.

I'd actually like to use Adblock as I did before, but if/as that appears no longer possible I wonder if anyone can help with info about how to remove it completely from my system. Without formatting the HD.

Thanks,
Wanda
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be caused by some of your filters, which remain in your Firefox profile even if you uinstall Adblock. To remove all filters go to "Tools->Adblock->Preferences->Adblock Options->Remove All Filters". If you do want to continue using Adblock then I suggest taking a look at the filters G provides. They are well tested and if you have problems you can report them in his forum:
http://pierceive.com/
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
bump
why?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zachariah wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
bump
why?

This thread is critical for anyone using the Firefox beta.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ... usually people bump because a question was unanswered ... just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, 'cause I couldn't figure out what the question was

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: