The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mai9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004    Post subject: some suggestions Reply with quote

first I want to say that I like this extension very much Smile

then I want to comment about the interface. I found it strange. I read somewhere in this forum that you wanted to make it as clean as possible. But at least to me, it feels unnatural.

I think the "adblock options" and "help" should go to the typical topmost menubar and the "revert" look like a button.

I would also like the "add" button to look like a button, and add a delete button. Also when selecting a filter, the text box would have the string, so you can select in the list and click the delete button. I know it can be faster to delete from the right-click. But I still miss the button, because you *see* how to delete, no need to wonder where that function will be.

well, some suggestions Smile
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mai9:
Clean and natural are two different things.
If you've been with us since d1, you know how cluttered the interface was getting. The current menus are well-consolidated and appear consistent across all themes.
The 'Add' button is deliberately diminished, being largely unnecessary and only unbalancing the window in button-form. Your 'Delete' button gets... uh, a kindly 'No'.
Lastly, you observed the currently selected filter should replicate to the entry-area. I think the "List Adblock-able.." window has biased you, here -- making this an interesting request. For consistency, I agree: this would be expected. But, it doesn't serve any purpose. So, again, no.
mai9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
The 'Add' button is deliberately diminished, being largely unnecessary and only unbalancing the window in button-form. Your 'Delete' button gets... uh, a kindly 'No'.

I haven't used adblock before the 30 nightly, maybe you deleted that button from the previous interface when you were uncluttering it.

Anyway, sometimes the context menu appears far away from the cursor. Using the 20040102 branch build and your 34 dev build with a new profile.

rue wrote:
Lastly, you observed the currently selected filter should replicate to the entry-area. I think the "List Adblock-able.." window has biased you, here -- making this an interesting request. For consistency, I agree: this would be expected. But, it doesn't serve any purpose. So, again, no.

Yeah, maybe that window has biased me as it feels unnatural Wink

Seriously, I got that idea when I wanted to edit a block string and I expected to do it in entry area. There's the list and then, there's where you edit the list. Editing in the same list makes me feel like I am gonna break something in it.

From what you write I feel the current interface was strongly thought. Think

One last detail, the colors in the hide/remove frame are hard-coded? I feel they are not using my windows colors at least.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mai9:
I assume by "hide/remove frame" you mean "List Adblock-able".
The only overridden-colour pertains to filtered items. There's no mozilla-default for "filtered by adblock", so it's been manually defined to display as red-italic.
The context-menu coordinates bug has been fixed for the next nightly (a mozilla issue we've worked-around, btw). I've been holding off posting in an attempt to track down the java-bug. It doesn't look like the fix is as imminent as I thought, though; I might post what's been done so far, shortly.
mai9

rue wrote:
I assume by "hide/remove frame" you mean "List Adblock-able".

mmm, I was talking on the small frame around the checkmarks "Hide ads" and "Remove ads" in the ctrl+shift+p window on the lower left. This also happens with the frame in the top-right around menus.

rue wrote:
The context-menu coordinates bug has been fixed for the next nightly (a mozilla issue we've worked-around, btw).

Don't worry, If it's already fixed I can wait until my next round of updates.
rue
Developer

Oh. Could you post a screenshot with a problematic theme?
The borders are manually derived from Modern.
mai9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
Oh. Could you post a screenshot with a problematic theme?
The borders are manually derived from Modern.

You want a screenshot where those two frames use hard-coded colors?

And I am using Firebird default theme Rolling Eyes
rue
Developer

Yes.
Mozilla is used strictly on legacy machines, here -- classic macs, which are unsupported, save WaMCom's 1.3.1 build. So, that's what I'm developing for.
mai9

here is it!

notice the white/grey frame while my windows theme is only blue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: