The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing v0.3 from Firebird 0.7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobi Haron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003    Post subject: Removing v0.3 from Firebird 0.7 Reply with quote

I see in the FAQ instructions for removing adblock from Mozilla 1.2.1, but it seems that some of them do not apply to Firebird 0.7.

Can you help with instructions that apply for recent Firebird versions?

In fact, I am a bit nervous about editing all these files - it's a bit risky even for a retired programer like myself. I wonder if the installer can be modified to remove v0.3.

Thanks for adblock which is excellent even in 0.3. I can't imagine surfing without it.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our faq is targeted at all versions of mozilla, and should work for firebird, too.

However, the removal-instrunctions were in need of an update. It's been posted, and I'll copy it here:

Code:
For v0.4 and prior, remove the file 'chrome.rdf' and its corresponding 'overlays' directory from app::chrome, ` profile::chrome as well as the xul cache and 'adblock.jar'.

Next, remove all lines with references to 'adblock.jar' from 'intalled-chrome.txt' -- located in the same folder as the jar-file.

Lastly, for v0.4, remove all occurrences of 'adblock.jar' from userContent.css, also located in the same folder as the jar-file.
Kobi Haron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003    Post subject: Sorry, this isn't very clear Reply with quote

Probably because, like most users, I am not familiar with the profile.

1. What is "its corresponding 'overlays' directory" - what is the file name and where is it?
2. What is app::chrome?
3. What is the file name of XUL cache?
4. jar-file - I guess this is adblock.jar
5. profile::chrome - I guess it is the chrome folder in the profile

I understand that it may be too much to ask that the installer will do all that, but then we need step by step unambiguous instructions so that we won't mess things up.

Thanks,

Kobi

[/b]
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003    Post subject: mode +v Reply with quote

(More verbose:)

For v0.3 and v0.4:

Locate your Mozilla application folder. Open the Chrome directory. Delete:
the file 'adblock.jar' (if present)
the file 'chrome.rdf'
the directory named 'overlayinfo'.
Open the file 'installed-chrome.txt' in a text-editor and remove all lines that mention "adblock.jar".
Close the application folder.

Locate your Profile directory. Delete the file named 'xul ---' (varies by platform).
Open the Chrome directory. Delete:
the file 'adblock.jar' (if present)
the file 'chrome.rdf'
the directory named 'overlayinfo'.
If present, open the file 'installed-chrome.txt' in a text-editor and remove all lines that mention "adblock.jar".
Open the file 'userContent.css' and remove all lines that mention "adblock.xml".
Close the profile folder.

Last edited by rue on Sun Oct 26, 2003; edited 1 time in total
Kobi Haron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003    Post subject: Thanks rue for your patience Reply with quote

I have inspected my directories and found the files. Just to make sure - in the chrome directories there is no overlays directory, but I have a directory overlayinfo. Are these related to our uninstall? I am asking because in the file
\chrome\overlayinfo\browser\content\overlays
there is a line
<RDF:li>chrome://adblock/content/adblock.xul</RDF:li>

I have windows 2000.

It's best if you clear such doubts, because eventually all early adopters will wish to migrate and when something goes wrong they will flood this very forum with questions. It will also help if for every file name you will mention on what condition it should be present or have relevant content.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- you're right. That was an error on my part.
The post should have read 'overlayinfo'. I'll just edit it, rather than repost.
Andrew_S

I am unable to uninstall Adblock 0.3 from Firebird 0.7 following everything in this thread. I have NO adblock.jar file, it is not mentioned in the installed-chrome.txt file, and I have NO file "xul___". There is also no mention to adblock.xml in the userConten.css files (in fact they are example files, I see no real in use userContent.css file).

I even tried deleting Firebird completely and using regedit to find anything that may have anything to do with adblock, yet every time I start Firebird 0.3 it is still there. I'm using Windows XP, btw. I'm getting upset at the situation and I want to try dev 0.5, but I don't see a way to uninstall this thing.
Kobi Haron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003    Post subject: Uninstalling Firebird Reply with quote

Andrew_S, The right way to do this is to use the Remove Program option in the control panel, and make sure you remove also the profiles. In this way you will be able to do a clean install. Of course, make sure you save the adblock filter file and the bookmarks somewhere out of the profile.

BTW - the way you describe it, it looks as if you are looking at the wrong profile. Did you search for adblock.jar throughout your C drive? here it is in the Phoenix profile, not the Firebird profile which, for some reason, I have as well.
Andrew_S

Firebird just comes in a zip file, there is no exe, therefore no add/remove entry to delete. I only have the one profile and I've done a search scanning my entire harddrive for these files and they were not found.

I'm pretty good with computers, so this has me really stumped. There has to be some folder or something containing the files because they show up each and every time after I delete them. I've rebooted after deleting them and still nothing. And yes, I had Firebird closed when doing this (just using IE to view this page while I mess around with Firebird).
Kobi Haron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003    Post subject: There is a difference - I always use the Firebird installer Reply with quote

So my advice to Andrew_S, based on my experience, is irrelevant.

Anyway, rue, your instructions worked for me. I used them to remove adblock 0.3 successfully and then I installed 0.5 d1. So far it works fine, and it's much improved. In particular some ad heavy pages load quite a bit faster. Thanks to all Adblock developers for this excellent extension and for the support in this forum.

Please note - following your instructions I lost the compact menus and RSS panel extensions and I had to reinstall them. I was surprised that the filter file (which I saved) was not lost. I suggest that you add this information to the 0.3 uninstall instructions so that people will know what to expect. I think there is a lesson here - always prepare an uninstall script for a project this size.
Org

Andrew_S, are you quite sure you haven't missed your profle folder when you scanned your harddrive?
Andrew_S

That was it, thanks a MILLION. I did do a search but since I just formatted my HD (mmm, nice and clean) I forgot to check the box in the search options to look in hidden folders and hidden files. That's why it wasn't finding them. All is well now and I'm going to give 0.5 a try. Thanks again, I was ready to pull my hair out. Very Happy THANKS!
rue
Developer

Kobi:

Actually, it's not possible to reliably remove things while installing. The API's to delete files on install do exist, but, in practice, nothing worked consistently, or even produced consistent results on file-checks. So, I gave up on that and wrote the deinstaller -- ~450 li. of code as it stands.

Lastly, it's possible to edit the rdf / overlay files, so only Adblock is removed. But, this would require delving into sequences, nodes, and all other things end-users should never worry about. Either way, you have a deinstaller now; so it's all good.
neil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003    Post subject: Firebird folder was holding me up Reply with quote

I was looking for my profile in the wrong folder and having as much trouble as others here. I was able to delve into the profile subfolders and find and remove (I hope) the appropriate items so that adblock would reinstall and I didn't lose other settings.

The source of my problem was ignorance about where the profile folder actually was. Maybe rue can update the faq to provide some emphasis on finding the correct profile folder along with the verbose instructions provided earlier in this forum.

Of course, with a deinstaller, it won't matter.

Thanks...great product!

Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: