The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home site is almost unreadable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005    Post subject: home site is almost unreadable Reply with quote

the adblock site is almost unreadable due to poor contrast. You really aught to fix that.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Search button is almost the very first thing on this page. You really aught to use that.
Anonymous Braveheart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005    Post subject: You Aught to Mind Yer Manners Reply with quote

Sure, the search button is up there.

Sure, the first poster in this thread could have wasted his or her time searching the Adblock Project Forums to find out that he or she could waste more of his or her time downloading and installing an extension or a bookmarklet, just to make the difficult-to-read grey text on the Adblock home page readable.

Or the Adblock folks could simply fix it, because it really is hard to read and it is not incumbent upon visitors to badly-designed sites to overcome the bad decisions made by their designers.

I'd like to hear one good reason that the text on the Adblock page is made so difficult to read.
Org

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

New and current text is black, old and not-so-current text is gray. Besides, rue said that the text looks much better on his Mac with different default display gamma setting.
For the Children

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Org wrote:
Besides, rue said that the text looks much better on his Mac with different default display gamma setting.

If the Adblock site was just for rue, then I'd be all for it. But since I believe the intent is for others to use the site, that statement doesn't hold water. If rue's computer is so badly adjusted that he has to ruin the text for everyone else, then perhaps we ought to pitch in and buy the poor guy a decent monitor.

Rue, on The Adblock Site dev branch page, wrote:
This branch is tested *solely* under Mozilla 1.3.1 WaMCom -- proceed with caution.

From this, I'm guessing that he's using a pretty old Mac — WaMCom is a build of Mozilla 1.3.1 for Mac OS 9.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez! That illegible home page is intentional? I thought something was broken on it. The whole page looks a lot like a grayed out menu option that can't be selected.

That's sure not a way to attract users. First impressions matter, and the first impression given by this page is very bad.

For that matter, I'm not sure that subsequent thought changes the bad first impression by much. The home page style is so poor that it makes me wonder about the judgement of the authors in other things. Do I really want to be using their software? For the moment, the answer is "yes" for me. But this does plant seeds of doubt.
bene

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The homepage for Adblock for me has become this forum. Lots more news, useful tips and tricks, and so forth. But I do remember going through the definitely odd homepage when I first found Adblock.

Now I'm an exclusionist, so I thought it was pretty cool to go through a difficult to read, little updated page to find a tool that almost no-one I knew knew about. Gave that little bit of an "underground" feel to the whole project.

But when it comes down to it, Adblock is a tool for people who are confident enough with the web to alter the way they look at web pages. If you visit the homepage often and don't like the style there, modify your userContent.css to change the way it displays. But really, how often does the site get visited?

AdBlock Plus Forums here.
tlmurray

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the initial poster. My 18-year-old daughter and 16-year-old son both with good eyesight have no problem, but me -- the 46-year-old dad -- has a heckuva time reading it.
IAmAUser

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, what possible legitimate reason could anyone have for advocating text with that little contrast? It's damn near unreadable on my Mac, for what it's worth; it should be changed, or the authors should be prepared to take guff for it. Designers should be prepared to give reasons for their design choices; if those reasons are "because I like it," then they should be prepared to be pilloried (or ignored) for not caring about their users. That's not "cool" -- it's just rude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: