The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conflict with S5 (slide show system)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Meyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005    Post subject: Conflict with S5 (slide show system) Reply with quote

Greetings,

I've been working on an in-browser slide show system called S5 (for Simple Standards-based Slide Show System). This uses XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create a sort of 'Powerpoint Lite'. I've accumulated a number of reports that when AdBlock is running, it conflicts rather seriously (though non-destrcutively) with S5. For example, see this comment, which says in part:

When Iím in the [slide show], I canít go anywhere else except opening a new tab : specifying another URL doesnít work, clicking on a bookmark or Home doesnít work as well.

I asked the user to disable AdBlock, and when he did, the problems were resolved.

I have no idea if the problem is that I'm trying to do stuff that's too much like ad-ware, or if AdBlock is being a little too zealous about blocking stuff, or if the truth is somewhere in between. However, I do know that I haven't the programming skills to figure it out. So I've come here to report the problem, and see if there's anything we can do to resolve it. Obviously, there's a simple workaround for now: anyone wanting to run an S5 presentation needs to disable AdBlock. That isn't really a good long-term solution, though.

Anyway, please feel free to get in touch with me via e-mail (eric@meyerweb.com) or else come comment on the most recent S5 post. Thanks!
SnarlCat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others may be able to offer better advice, but this sounds an awful lot like a false positive and your content has been nabbed by a rule.

Probably the easiest way to work it out is to get regex-coach, paste your rules (they will need to be modified slightly from the exported text file [remove the trailing '/', replacing the leading '/' with a '|' (regex 'or' operator), pulling the '[Adblock]' line, and not putting a '|' on the first line]) and the URL, and see what matches.. and try to fix the rule to allow your content while still blocking the nastiness it was designed to protect against..

Best of luck..

(Cross-posted to the S5 forum)
hounddog32

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used S5 in FF1.0 with adblock. in addition to what Eric said above, it should be noted that all links in the presentation and bookmarks do not work, but only when in an S5 presentation and runnin adblock - when not viewing a presentation or when adblock is disabled there are no problems. Adblock running also stops urls typed in the address bar from loading and the back button (i can't test the forward!) from having any effect.
I'd like to have both these two cooperating, they are both very helpful to me!
Dave Page

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it has anything to do with being false positives. I installed Adblock only a short while ago, after I started experimenting with S5 presentations, and even without any rules it still causes the problems that other people are experiencing.
kstahl
Support

wonko said he was looking into it.
kstahl
Support

Eric, we've just tried your example slideshow together with the upcoming Adblock 0.6 and it works perfectly. I had no problems typing URLs into the address bar, opening bookmarks or links in the slideshow.

If there are any other tests you'd like us to make, just tell us. If not, it looks like the problem will go away "soon". Wink
Eric Meyer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing to test would be the latest testbed, which uses more recent JS than the example slideshow you tested.
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that that the testbed JS set the defaultView property on the Window object was giving Adblock some troubles, but that's now fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: