The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock for K-Meleon?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drahken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005    Post subject: Adblock for K-Meleon? Reply with quote

Any chance of getting a version of adblock for the k-meleon browser? ( http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net ) It's a smaller, faster alternative to mozilla and even firefox, but is in desperate need of an adblocking addon of some kind. (The usercontent blocking method works with it, but is quite limited and difficult to update. Plus, the usercontent method mearly hides the images, it doesn't prevent the browser from wasting your time and bandwidth downloading them.)
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does K-Meleon support Mozilla and Firefox extensions?
Drahken

I don't believe so. K-meleon uses the gecko engine (version .9 is based on mozilla 1.75), but uses a different interface. The question is whether moz/FF extensions can be made to work with k-meleon with only some minor changes, or if they're completely incompatible.
kstahl
Support

Since I see no evidence of any extensions being "ported" to K-Meleon I seriously doubt it can be done. I don't think K-Meleon's GUI is created with XUL, which could be one of the reasons it's faster than Firefox.
Drahken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-meleon does use some xul, although it seems to only be used for minor stuff.
Here's an info page on making plugins for k-meleon: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=KPluginSpecs Pretty much greek to me, but maybe it'll tell you what you need to know.
Also, the Aggreg8 extension has been ported to k-meleon (comes with the standard install as a matter of fact), which indicates that it's at least possible for some moz/ff extensions to be ported to k-meleon. Here's a page about getting aggreg8 working in k-meleon, perhaps it will provide useful info for making other extensions work: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=Aggreg8
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

Drahken: At this point, I'm much more inclined to spend time improving Adblock to work better on Firefox and Mozilla, rather than expanding to K-Meleon.

I won't necessarily say that the K-Meleon project is misguided, but from what I've seen, it has taken the best attributes of Firefox -- being cross-platform and having ease of extensibility through XUL -- and sacrificed them to the false god of unnecessary speed.

Not to say it won't ever be done -- this is, after all, open source -- but it probably won't be done by rue or me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
G

For the record, an ad-blocking extension is currently being developed for Epiphany, and Filterset.G will be built-in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: