The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

feature request: block ads while still counting for income?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikhopp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003    Post subject: feature request: block ads while still counting for income? Reply with quote

hi.

i was wondering if it is possible to block the ad images, but still have the ad count my hit as a hit for the purposes of ad income.

you see, there are sites that i want to support, however, i still don't want to see the ads. but if there was some way to trick the script into thinking that i had indeed loaded the ad, but i don't actually see it, that would be ideal.

just an idea...

erik.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik:
You can't really "hide" scripts, but you can hide what they create. Just pop Adblock's prefs, and select "Hide".
Granted, text-content wont be hidden, but you can always switch back to "Remove". I wont tell :P
erikhopp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003    Post subject: so... Reply with quote

does that mean that as the code is now, ads are currently "counted" - as in the administrator of the webpage gets a click counted towards what s/he earns by having the ad on the site, yet i still see no ad?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik:
"Hide" downloads and hides stuff.
"Remove" blocks it from downloading.
Select "Hide" to support your favourite sites.
erikhopp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003    Post subject: ok - got it now. thanks... Reply with quote

adblock is wonderful!!
erikhopp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003    Post subject: hmmm.. Reply with quote

the subject of phpbb posts is not nearly as prominent as i would have made it...

but my previous post says:

ok, now i get it. thanks...

adblock is wonderful.
hank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003    Post subject: maybe someday -- block ad, send micropayment? Reply with quote

I dream that someday I'll have an option that
-- blocks all the annoyances,
-- looks up what the web page owner would get paid per my view, and
-- generates a micropayment direcct from me in thanks as an alternative.

Onscreen advertising just causes me to swear never to buy
_anything_ from the advertiser.

Rationally, I can probably trust that it's the ad designer's flashy-trashy
fault; the business looking for sales may be a good one, and the support
for a web page I like is worth something.

So I dream, someday, Adblock may help me to outbid the advertiser, by paying directly -- a bit more than the advertiser is offering -- for my attention.

I wouldn't bid against the scum, I have no hesitation ignoring the Gators and such pests and parasites that infest the office Windows computer. But at home on the Mac, I appreciate AdBlock because it gives me my own time to think. And I think it could -- some day, with micropayments a reality -- help sort out the garbage from the worthwhile attempts to get me to pay attention to someone's sales pitch.

Call it AdPunt, and when I like a page and make a micropayment, put info about the advertisers I'm avoiding in a buffer somewhere so I can, later, when I want to, consider which of them I'd -- since I wasn't pestered by them -- be willing to consider buying from.

Just dreaming for now.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hank:
Advertising only works when some aspect of the medium is outside the consumer's control. The simple fact is: with web-content, nothing is outside the user's control.
Right now, ads are served by methods easily identified in source. If the method changes to inline content, then bayesian-type filtration will be adapted to cope. The dotcom "bubble" lured corporate-types to push traditional advertising models online. But, quite simply: they don't fit; they don't work.
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I'll never pay for the "privilege" of ignoring someone's unwanted content. If they want to make it exclusive, fine. If they want to offer it free, fine. For all other options, see paragraph1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: