The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion - ensure no duplicate filters exist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003    Post subject: Suggestion - ensure no duplicate filters exist Reply with quote

Hello,

I browsed briefly so I hope I'm not repeating something that has already been said. Anyways, duplicate filters are allowed to exist when it makes more sense to not allow duplicate filters. Therefore, my suggestion is for Adblock to do a quick search through the list before new filters are added.

Thanks,
Derek
ralph

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003    Post subject: additional suggestion: ensure that no filter is unecessary Reply with quote

Hello,

another, more complicated idea would be to allow AdBlock to check if the matching results of one filter are already included in another filter. True, this is very hard for regexp-expressions, but perhaps for simple filters (using only '*') it could be done, right? Wink

Just an idea - perhaps the time implementing this functionality is better spent elsewhere...

PS: this is one great tool! keep up the good work!
PPS: since i'm kind of addicted now: could it be possible to leave a quick change list for nightlies as well? Twisted Evil
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightly 27 pass-2 is posted.
Duplicates are automatically removed (stealth). Rather than iterate the entire list for each entry, I implemented a binary array-search. It took forever to get right... but yay- it's here :P
rue
Developer

ralph:
It's not so much the difficulty (moderate) in landing expression-comparison, but the usefulness.
I would never use it. In fact, who would? Once the "oh wow- I can do that" vibe wore off, it would probably even be annoying. So, no- that wont be landing that in the forseeable future.
Oh, and the "Nightlies" were sorta an abberrance. Here's what happened: I arbitrarily decided to hold off on d2 until whitelists were landed. Then, I decided to move the backend to a more flexible structure, rather than hack them in. In the meantime, some interesting bugs and feature-requests came up, so I addressed them quickly with "nightlies". They're grouped in the changelog, because they're grouped on my computer.
I literally have one set of files for everything d2. I couldn't give you nightly 17 if I wanted to. So yea- to keep abreast of the latest changes, just memorize that massive d2-entry and... mentally compare :P
Ralph

Laughing - accepted: a changelog only makes sense when the version is really reproduceable, but i think i have to train my mental capabilities before being able to accomplish that...

And about the usefullness: i think you're also right here with your point of view. It would be just a nice-to-have without real usefullness, thus bloating up the code without necessity. Like i said - perhaps the time is better spent elsewhere.

Thanx for the quick responses anyway! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: