The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adblock doesn't install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004    Post subject: Adblock doesn't install Reply with quote

I have just installed Firefox on 2 PC's in my LAN at home; one older with Win 98 and a newer with Win XP Home Edition (Earlier I have run IE but tested other browsers);.
On both computers I have 4Google2 installed for earlier blocking of Ads & Banners ; however they are not activated at present .
On the older computer Adblock installs and works perfect but on the newer it doesn't install.
I try to install adblock-0.5-0.52.2.039.xpi
However, this file is followed by "unsigned" in red.
When I click Install now nothing happens !
What to do ?
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not say which version of Firefox you are running, but...

Try a local install. Download the XPI file to your computer and install it by dragging it onto an open browser window. Don't forget to restart the browser afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kstahl,

I was having the same problem as LO and your solution worked for me Very Happy

By using that workaround, I find out that I had software downloads disabled .... which really surprised me. It was only a few days ago that I downloaded something else so didn't even check that option. DUH.

LO, you've probably already done that .... but if not, its worth having a look.
johnny dee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004    Post subject: ad block .xpi is not recognised by Windows! Reply with quote

So it gives a message saying it needs to know in order to install what program created it!

Help! A webpage told me that .xpi is basically a zip file, but WinZip doesn't like it. No other Mozilla extension or plug-in has given me trouble. Why is this so un-userfriendly?

Win XP, Mozilla 0.9.1

Any help wd. be appreciated!
kstahl
Support

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an XPI file is simply a renamed ZIP file. I can only assume the the file you got was corrupted during download and is broken in some way. Try downloading the Adblock XPI again, you can find it here:

http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html

Right-click on the link "Adblock 0.5 d2 nightly 39" and choose Save Link As...

Ps. You should upgrade your Firefox to the latest version 1.0PR.
squares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004    Post subject: doesn't install for me Reply with quote

i have just started using firefox. first thing i have tried doing is d/l (twice) and installing adblocker. it won't install. i have tried clicking on it. dragging to firefox window. dumping it in extension folder. nothing works.

now what?
squares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004    Post subject: installing Reply with quote

i solved the install problem. i had to allow web sites to install. since i never thought of myself as a web site, and i was installing locally, it didn't occur to me to have this turned on. not the best wording.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: