The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Link to text file?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjmoore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003    Post subject: Link to text file? Reply with quote

I have my 3 kids and wife using Firebird with Adblock. So far no complaints. since we're all networked together, is the a way to link .vs import a filter list?
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjmoore:
Interesting request. You'd want that linked-file to be updated by anyone using it, right?
I've been playing with the idea for an extension to synchronize any settings-file (bookmarks, prefs.js.. etc.) with a master, and it sounds like this would fit right in: synchronizing individual prefs.
In the interest of simplicity, once I've coded it, I'll probably roll the code into Adblock so users won't need to install both.
But, initially, it would be a separate extension.
wjmoore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003    Post subject: RE: Link filter text file Reply with quote

In my case, I have 4 systems mapped to a shared directory on my PC which would hold the "master" filter list.

I also see the potential to create a master filter list hosted on a remote server linked via http.

I see a lot of posts for suggestions on creating a filter list, perhaps a basic master could be hosted by yourself and a few mirror sites. I have some server space and some bandwidth I would be willing to allocate.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooking into pc-sharing isn't cross-platform, but the same synchronicity is easily accomplished with ftp .
I'd also like to land "default listings" in the xpi, so users of larger installations can roll their own builds with certain filters "pre-installed". A single, customized build could then be centrally deployed.
Lanny Chambers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue wrote:
I've been playing with the idea for an extension to synchronize any settings-file (bookmarks, prefs.js.. etc.) with a master, and it sounds like this would fit right in: synchronizing individual prefs.

This is very interesting, rue. It would be quite helpful, e.g., when rebooting between OS X and OS 9, since WaMCom in 9 and mozilla 1.5 in X won't share a profile. Frustrating non-sync issues include bookmarks, prefs, passwords, history, form contents, and cookies. Though it might be better NOT to sync some prefs such as font sizes, which have cross-platform differences.
wjmoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're on to something...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: