The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't uninstall 0.5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rancor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003    Post subject: Can't uninstall 0.5 Reply with quote

I installed Adblock on my home computer, Windows XP, Firebird browser, and at work, same settings. They are both the new versions but the one at work does so much more than the one at home.

So I tried uninstalling the home version, but there is no way to do this. There is no option in preferences or anything like that. I don't get it.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancor:
Which browser/build, platform.. and which did you install to: profile or root?
Rancor

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7

I'm not sure whether I installed to profile or root, though.
rue
Developer

First, follow these removal-directions.
Then, install Adblock -- this time, to profile.
jamescookmd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a failure to remove Adblock 0.5 dev 20 on Firebird 0.7 nightly from Nov. 26, 2003. I had it installed to Profile and selected DeInstall from the Prefs menu. Firebird appeared to "go away" for several minutes, then popped a dialog with error code 0000 and a request to post the message.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031126 Firebird/0.7+

(I doubt this is helpful, but perhaps it will be.)

Thanks again for such a wonderful app.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamescookmd:
To be perfectly honest: I don't know why it failed. It shouldn't have.
Either something serious changed in the latest browser-builds, or there's an odd quirk about your particular setup.
Let's hope it's the latter.
jamescookmd

rue,

Thanks for the follow-up. I had an identical DeInstall failure code 00000 after 2 minutes of inactivity with 0.5 dev 21 and Firebird nightly Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031126 Firebird/0.7+.

I had installed to profile. I'm going to blow away my profile directory, reinstall, and report back.

James

rue,

I still have uninstall failures code 00000. My latest attempt:

* Uninstall Firebird via Add/Remove Programs
* Delete Documents and Settings/<name>/Application Data/Mozilla/* and Phoenix/*
* Download the latest Firebird nightly. Install.
* Install the latest dev build of Adblock (22) via the web site.
* Restart Firebird. Add an Adblock filter and verify that it works. (It does.)
* Restart Firebird. Attempt DeInstall. Firebird "goes away" for 2 minutes and reports error 00000.

Do you have time to pursue potential DeInstall problems? Is there any other information that I can provide to help debug this? I'm on Windows 2000 SP 4. I'm logged in as a user with administrator privileges.

I'd be happy to try installing other versions of Mozilla/Adblock/etc. I'm also a developer on a C++ project (www.secondlife.com), but have no Mozilla experience. If there are logs/source files I should inspect, please let me know.

James
rue
Developer

James:
Try this: Tools > Web Development > JavaScript Console. Click "Clear" and then "All".
Run the DeInstall again, and watch the console for activity. If any errors appear, those would definitely help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue,

Console was clear before attempting uninstall. I get this error:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Could not convert JavaScript argument (NULL value cannot be used for a C++ reference type) arg 0 [nsISupports.QueryInterface]" nsresult: "0x8057000b (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS_NULL_REF)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://adblock/content/uninstall.js :: removeChromeAndOverlayEntries :: line 90" data: no]

It's repeatable for me. Hope this helps,

James
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

James:
Can you try this with the latest Firebird release?- not a nighly-build.
I'm assuming now the nightlies changed something -- something they shouldn't have.
whatsnickfor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003    Post subject: innstallation failure Reply with quote

firebird 0.7 with gtk2/xft
tried the second latest nightly adblock, and under some circumstances it can be only installed to the app directory (I have my firebird copy in my ~). The day before I could install it to my profile dir too, so it seems to be some random error. Uninstall doesn't work here at all, I see no "uninstall" or "remove" at all, never have.
I will try the newest nightly with a clean firebird and see what happens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue,

I still can't deinstall on a fresh Firebird 0.7, but due to a different error.

I uninstalled my nightly build of Firebird and deleted my entire profile directory. I then installed Firebird 0.7 release (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7). I installed Adblock nightly 27.

Attempting to deinstall does not cause a Javascript error. Instead, it prints "Unable to deinstall, unable to delete file <path to my profile>/<stuff>/adblock.jar. You will need to delete this file by hand." Clicking "OK" quits Firebird.

I am the administrator of my computer, and have Adblock installed into my profile.

James
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

James:
DeInstall didn't fail that time. The error didn't begin "Unable to deinstall.." because by mozilla's measurements, it was successful.
Uninstalling skins and other browser-components normally leaves a jar-file behind, as well.
What does interest me is if the jar-file was renamed to "adblock-uninstalled", or not. Either way, removing it by hand allows you to install as normal. If, however, it is renamed, all you'd have to do is restart the browser and install as normal -- the install-routine would then delete it for you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue,

adblock.jar was NOT renamed. It still exists in my profile as:
C:\Documents and Settings\james\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\ey6nmvme.slt\chrome\adblock.jar

Probably because this file still exists, the Adblock menu still appears under Tools, Adblock image still appears in right-click menus, etc. However, Adblock not longer actually blocks images.

Bummer.

James
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

James:
Did you see two error-alerts when deinstalling?
You described it as one, which is why I didn't think it had failed. Unfortunately, it sounds like the chrome / overlay removal was also unsuccessful.
Skirting the issue, I've relinked the jar-file on the Dev. page -- you can manually update now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rue,

Nope, just the one alert.

I've been using adblock on my dev machine, so I usually just blow away my entire Firebird directory and my entire profile directory. I don't have an extensive filter list on this machine.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: