The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Load default filters from web" killed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be a "download filters from web" option?
yes
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
no
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

metaclops

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004    Post subject: "Load default filters from web" killed? Reply with quote

In v0.5 build 37 under Adblock preferences > Help there is a "load default filters from web" option that does not exist in build 39.

Why was this vital feature removed?

At there very least there should be a link in the adblock interface to a filter download page because there is no obvious place to download filters. Some users might never realize that downloading pre-existing filters is possible and think that they have to laboriously build their own block list.
G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who makes the list? Most filtersets have a significant number of false positives, which will be an even bigger problem for people who don't know how to turn AdBlock on/off.
Zachariah

You should be able to specify a URL to a properly formatted TXT file, so you could use any list anyone chooses to publish.

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox
G

My problem is with setting a default, not with automatic updates in general.

Oh, and in Windows you can open directly from a URL.
Zachariah

yeah, I kinda figured that Wink

micmic

It would be useful to install "adblock" to a friend or in another PC different from which you work
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

That build isn't an "official" build... I should know, since I'm the one who added the feature, for the exact reason micmic suggested Smile

It was "removed" at rue's request for a number of reasons, mainly being that it didn't really fit in to Adblock's architecture and was something of a hack I put together while I was learning how the various extension technologies worked.

In retrospect, I should have more clearly labeled that build as non-official to prevent exactly this problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sandinak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004    Post subject: This feature is really wanted Reply with quote

It would really be nice to have it.. both to force a load once .. and to sync
say on restart. I vote an emphatic YES for all us on bsdnet Wink

- b
metaclops

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004    Post subject: Responses to G Reply with quote

G: "But who makes the list?"

The Adblock team could easily decide on a simple list that would minimize false positives, and make that downloadable as a "starter list".

G: "an even bigger problem for people who don't know how to turn AdBlock on/off"

If someone has gone to the trouble of installing Adblock, they are presumably savvy enough to turn it off or edit filters that result in too many false positives.

This is the reason an easily downloaded default list is needed:

I recently installed Adblock with a friend, and the "download from web" feature wasn't there. There was no mention of downloading filters within the Adblock menus. There was no mention of downloading filters on the Adblock website, at which point I got frustrated because it looked like my friend would have to build a block list manually. Eventually by looking in the forums we found some filters, but that begs the question "are these filters any good"? If even tech savvy web heads have trouble finding and trusting filters, what chance does the averge user have?

I don't care if it is a "download from web" button, or a link to a web page, but somewhere in the Adblock interface there needs to be an explicit "here is a good filter list so you don't have to start from scratch" feature.
G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Simple list" and "minimize false positives" can't be in the same sentence as "very effective." False positives are NOT easy to avoid (if you're trying to block most ads).

As Firefox reaches a more diverse userbase, more and more people who aren't computer savvy are using Adblock. My mother doesn't have a clue what an "extension" is, but if I tell her to click this link and hit that button, it works out well enough. Take a look at the "Instructions for Beginners" for my filterset. Those are there because people who don't understand the basics still want to block ads effectively.

Perpahs a few "default" filtersets are needed:
1 - Conservative (0% false positives, 75% of ads blocked)
2 - Aggressive (5% false positives, 99.9% ads blocked)
3 - Simple (2% fp, 90% ab)
4 - Advanced (0% fp, 99.9% ab)
5 - Choose your own (download from specific source)
Org

I suspect that any default list would create more problems than it's worth. But the option 5 of G, downloading and perhaps even auto-updating filterlist from an user-entered URL - that might work. Perhaps the official Adblock website could host a few different lists, and maybe some unoffcial sources (like some users of this forum) could maintain public or private lists of their own.
kstahl
Support

When the next version of Adblock is finished I'm sure the homepage will be overhauled. I also think a simple easy understandable list should be availible, with every filter explained in easy terms.
hank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004    Post subject: the advertisers are eating people's brains ... Reply with quote

Some way to allow this would be a very good idea, if only so people could get an idea how much garbage they are being hit with.

I know people who aren't able to make much real use of the web because they can't get past the constant flickering twitching scrolling screaming crap that's being thrown at them.

Read Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" -- Google finds several copies, it's a very short story and if you haven't read it, DO: enough interruption reduces anyone to the lowest common denominator of mental functioning.

I'd pay money and time for the chance to be part of a group trusted to contribute to a good public filter list, along the lines of a spam blocking list.

I realize the screen-spammers would want to join also, and would use such a list as soon as they could get hold of it to modify their screen-spam to get around it! That's a problem any such list has.
mcm_ham

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that wonkothesane's hack is still in the official AdBlock version, it has just been commented out. I have modified OneStop's Ghastly Whitelist Hack version to add this back in, and added UI to AdBlock's Options panel to access it. The http path was hard coded so I've just adapted the add filter dialog box to allow you to add the path to your filter set. If you have not set the path or have cleared it, when you synchronize, it will import a default set of filters. The same set that is loaded when AdBlock is installed for the first time.

This has morphed into AdBlock Plus available from here:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=774

Last edited by mcm_ham on Mon May 16, 2005; edited 6 times in total
bene

This is a tough choice - I can't decide either way. Personally, a "sync from web" option isn't for me. For the masses? I don't know. If there's a central, easily accesible list of filters, it's sortof like painting a big target on the community - here's what we're doing. But it makes it more appealing to more people (less work!). But it puts more pressure on the people putting together filters and the likes.

I do like this functionality for sync'ing with a local server - so that all the profiles on my network don't have to be manually updated.

AdBlock Plus Forums here.
Zachariah

If your "local server" runs an http server (like apache), then it would still work for you.

mcm_ham

Actually it has worked for me using:
file://///bedroom/SYSTEM%20(C)/...

As the network path. The easiest thing to do is to open the text file wherever you want it with Firefox and copy the location bar address. The nice thing is that if the computer isn't turned on the syncing will fail silently. Note it seems initialisation code is called when you open AdBlock's preferences. Therefore any filters you add will be overridden if you enable automatic synchronization making it seem like you can't add new filters. You might therefore choose to disable this on the account you use regularly so you can add filters and then export to the central file for the other accounts to sync with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: