The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Block certain html elements of a page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003    Post subject: Block certain html elements of a page Reply with quote

Hello,
I would like to block certain html elements with Adblock. I found a Mozilla extension called "Nuke Anything" which does exactly what I want. It allows you to click on every table cell, every form button, even every text paragraph etc. and to remove it via the context menu. The main problem of "Nuke Anything" is that it does not save the choices I made, so every time I visit the site or a site with the same element again, it reappears.

Do you think that it would be possible to add the feature of "Nuke Anything" to Adblock the way I described it?

Or is there an extension for Mozilla which acts like a small content filter to change/block whole parts of html code in web pages before it is displayed (without WYSIWYG like Adblock/Nuke Anything)? I would prefer some kind of browser-embedded solution instead of e.g. a proxy server to filter content.[/url]
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix:
Adblock has a feature that one-ups Nuke Anything: Quickblock.
It doesn't hide "container-elements", like tables or divs, but it does hide their contents. And it's much easier to invoke.
Like Nuke Anything, it doesn't retain a memory of what you block. That's just not technically feasible. But it does augment the normal filter-blocking quite well.
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K., by now I installed a small tool called Proxomitron which is a kind of content filter. So I managed to block a certain string of html code within all sites of one domain, which was what I was on about.

Why do you think that it wouldn't be technically feasible to implement such a function in Adblock? Basically it would be necessary to save the html code of the elements which were marked and maybe (parts of) the URI and then to filter that again. It's quite the same like blocking the code for an image or an iframe like Ablock does it right now, isn't it?

BTW. Quickblock works very different from Nuke Anything. It only - as you said - hides the content of some elements, whereas Nuke Anything removes the element completely (similar to visibility:hidden<>display:none in CSS).
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix:
Proxomitron and other os-level filters snoop the entire html-stream as it enters your computer. From their vantage, the entire source is exposed.
Adblock is a content-policy module. As your browser assembles the source, each element is individually checked against the content-policy system, to see if it should be loaded. Adblock -- and any other registered modules -- then say "yes" or "no". That's it.
So, it's not that Adblock doesn't do this yet, but rather it never will.
Lastly, Quickblock is much faster to invoke than Nuke Anything, covers larger areas in one motion (dragging), and only misses borders and background-images. And, actually, there's a hidden-pref to catch background-images as well, but it's default-disabled since there's a slight speed penalty.
jiro

I also use Proxomitron as well as Adblock. Do these programs duplicate each other's functions? Can Adblock protect your privacy by filtering headers?
rue
Developer

Adblock isn't so much about privacy as.. well, blocking ads. It does this quite well. Filtering headers and cookies sounds nice, but really doesn't alter the browsing experience much. And configuring every possible parameter gets a big ".Not!"
Proxomitron is very powerful. But:
a.) has platform-dependancy
b.) involves complexity of manual-configuration that's beyond the "average user"
Adblock, on the other hand:
a.) goes anywhere mozilla does (even os/2)
b.) is easily invoked and configured.
There's no reason they can't co-exist. But Adblock just targets ads.
jiro

rue,

thanks for the clarification (and for Adblock!)
Phoenix

O.K, thank you for your explanation. Nevertheless, Adblock is a very useful extension for Mozilla.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: