The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding new filter sometimes hides unrelated images

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WLP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003    Post subject: Adding new filter sometimes hides unrelated images Reply with quote

When I use List all blockable elements to hide ads, AdBlock also hides images in different unrelated folders. Suppose that the ads are in the folder site.com/images/*. Other images that should not be blocked in site.com/thumbs/* (or anywhere on the same site outside the images folder). When AdBlock can hide the newly blocked images immediately, it will sometimes hide the images that are not ads (and were not added to the filter list). If you use the back/forwared buttons to reload the page, the incorrectly hiden images come back.

I think that some of the affected images may be in tables.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLP:
What sites / filters has this specifically happened with?
WLP

No pattern yet. At first I thought that AdBlocker was permantly blocking them. It was only later that I noticed the incorrectly blocked images reappeared if I clicked back and then forward.
rue
Developer

WLP:
So.. when you select an item in "List Adblock-able..", the corresponding page-element just disappears?
It's supposed to just flash a red, dotted border. What's your browser / build, platform, other extensions.. etc.
WLP

No. I have added the filter (typically with the * wildcard). Images besides the specified images vanish. Those images reappear if I refreash the page.

I noticed that * has a meaning in the regular expression page that does not match the DOS style useage that I saw elsewhere. Which gets priority?
WLP

This is getting wierd. There are images vanishing only after I add new filters -- yet List all blockable items insists that they are visible. As noted in another thread, Fast Collapse is now unchecked.
WLP

The new images are in a table where some rows (with the images in question) have a height of 0 after the filters are applied. BTW: That back/forward trick now has no effect.
rue
Developer

WLP:
It seems your philosophy is "shoot first, ask questions later." So.. let's answer those questions :P
The main page explains very clearly that Adblock supports two types of filters: Simple and RegExp.
Simple filters have only one special character -- the wildcard (*). This character directly translates to RegExp's .* wildcard-multiplier. So, when you enter a filter like example.com/*.gif, this Simple Filter becomes /example\.com\/.*\.gif/i behind the scenes.
You probaby are entering something wrong; but, since you still haven't offered any sites / filters, I can't really help. I'm telling you now: post a specific case and I'll look at it.
rue
Developer

ps: you really should update to the latest nightly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: