The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it doesn't block when saving page to disk!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005    Post subject: it doesn't block when saving page to disk! Reply with quote

Hi!

Is there any possibility to block the elements when saving page to disk too?
My version reads 0.5.2.039

Alex
Drahken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's blocked when you view the page on the web, it won't be saved when you save the page (I just did a test to confirm this). This is of course assuming that it's being blocked by adblock and not usercontent, since usercontent doesn't actually block anything, it merely hides it. Adblock however, blocks it entirely, and it won't be downloaded.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I checked that myself once again and the effect is next.

page.htm file doesn't contain references to blocked elements, but files themselves reside in page_files subdirectory! Would you give it another roll?

Alex
Drahken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't save the blocked image at all in my earlier test, but I just ran several more tests (including clearing my cache and reloading after blocking the image, and even rebooting FF), and it saved it every time.
I think the problem is the fact that FF (and moz, so presumeably the fault lies in the gecko engine) is so stupid that it requests a fresh copy of the page when downloading, the same way it requests a fresh copy when viewing source. It apparently bypasses adblock when it fetches this fresh copy of the page.
Zachariah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that's the case then it'd be worth searching bugzilla to see if someone's reported it and add the adblock-specific problem there as well, or at least tell us the bug # so we can vote for it

If all else fails try a really fresh install of Firefox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my suspicion too. It's a pity that otherwise great products like FF are hampered by little glitches.

Alex

I searched bugzilla 'till I have massive headache. Sorry folks I have no experience with it.
Alex
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

Alex: You mean... the world and everything in it is not perfect?!?! Oh noes!

I began filing a bug, since I didn't see anything likely to be duped, but I stopped when I realized that this could be considered valid behavior. Just because the image was blocked when you happened to view the page (through Adblock or the built-in image permissions system) doesn't necessarily mean it'd be blocked later, and Gecko's resposibility is to serve the lowest common denonminator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

You know it better possibly. I thought that valid behaviour implies that developers intended the code to work that way. At least it can be documented or brought into some faq. Or better, be configurable. Concerning the actual matter, it's beyond me why anyone would want the "complete web page" to be saved to disk in this clearly broken manner.
My own workaround is switching to offline mode, saving the page and switching back. Not terribly convenient, the page oftentimes manages to expire somewhere in the cache, but for most part prevents FF from downloading the host of junk upon saving the page to disk (and from stashing the junk on HDD either).

Alex
Drahken

Wonko- I'm reasonably certain that this is not valid behavior. Indeed, I'm certain that this is tied into the "bug" (not sure if it's actually a bug, or just a bad design concept) wherein FF requests a fresh version of the page when you use the view source command (which can often cause you to get the source for some error page saying you're not logged in or whatever, instead of the page you were actually looking at). I don't know if this "bug" was ever added to bugzilla, but I know it's been brought up on the mozillazine forums, and that everyone agreed that it was invalid behavior.
wonkothesane
The Other Developer

Well, y'all all certainly free to submit something, but I don't know if it'll be marked as INVALID or not. The summary would probably be something along the lines of "MHTML engine should query nsIContentPolicy before downloading"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Drahken

More like "MHTML engine should not request fresh page when saving/viewing source", since that is the underlying problem. The browser should use the exact page you are currently viewing when you choose to save the page or view the page's source. Instead, the browser requests a fresh version of the URL. There is really no viable reason for this behavior, and fixing it would address some existing problems (such as this problem with adblock, and getting the wrong source on certain pages) and head off future ones.

Drahken, it looks like there are two separate issues to me. Wonko relates to the fact that FF doesn't check with adblock or whatever implementation of nsIContentPolicy when downloading. Maybe you would submit both? FF guys will sort out duplicate whether one exists.

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: