The Adblock Project Forum Index The Adblock Project
Pull up a seat ...stay a while.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No flash! Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003    Post subject: No flash! Please Reply with quote

I am using the current dev version of adblock (0.5) and it includes a flashblocker which does not work. It does not work in the sense that it does not block flash content, but rather removes it upon request. Prior to installing 0.5, I had been using Flash Click to View, which worked very well. Once I installed the dev version of adblock flash click to view stopped working at all.

I understand that, at some point in the future you intend to add the functionality of flash click to view. May I respectfully urge you to drop the whole flash thing from adblock and let flash click to view handle flash content. I assume you are familiar with the expression about reinventing the wheel.

I hope you can remove the flashblocker soon as users are currently required to download all flash content whether we want it or not.

Thanks.
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
You're problem is: flash-click-to-view stopped working. There's a couple of reasons this might be:
1. you've installed a v.4 dev-build instead of v.5 -- this older version used the same modifications as flash-click-to-view to accomplish blocking, so the latter was necessarily disabled. just upgrade Adblock.
2. you've upgraded your copy of the browser and didn't realize that flash-click-to-view needs to be reinstalled every time you do this.
3. you didn't understand how to uninstall either flash-click-to-view, or a previous version of Adblock; just check the faq.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. you've installed a v.4 dev-build instead of v.5 -- this older version used the same modifications as flash-click-to-view to accomplish blocking, so the latter was necessarily disabled. just upgrade Adblock.

First, thank you for your reply. If you will re-read my original message, you will see that I have installed v.5 not v.4.

Quote:

2. you've upgraded your copy of the browser and didn't realize that flash-click-to-view needs to be reinstalled every time you do this.

I have already done this.
Quote:

3. you didn't understand how to uninstall either flash-click-to-view, or a previous version of Adblock; just check the faq.

I do not need to uninstall flash-click because I installed it after Adblock. I have the latest dev. version of Adblock, so why do I need to uninstall it?

I have further tried to disable Adblock, but that does not seem to affect Flashblock. I did update to a newer version of Firebird, would you suggest uninstalling Adblock so that only Flash-Click is running, then reinstall Adblock aftward? Thanks.[/quote]
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:
Adblock does not have a "flash-blocker"; so I can assure you, we're not reinventing the wheel.
Since I don't think you completely understand what Flash-Click-To-View does, I'll explain. It's an xbl-binding override for a specific class of object -- the macromedia-signed variety. Whenever one of those objects comes down the pipe, before anything else happens to it, FCTV's binding rearranges the element, so the actual object has css "display: none" and some ClickHere ToActivate-html is shown instead.
Adblock's part comes next: once the user clicks the html, the object sends a load-request. The browser's Content Policy system then asks Adblock whether the data should load or not. Adblock checks the url and sends back a boolean: Yes, or No.
I installed FCTV after you posted, just to be sure there wasn't any conflict -- and there wasn't. The only caveat: thanks to the way FCTV rearranges the element, Adblock's floating-tabs aren't displayed. When Adblock lands this functionality, it will be better implemented and completely compatible.
ps: You never clarified if you'd used a prior version of Adblock or tried to remove either. If you don't mind, deinstall Adblock. I'd like to know if that fixes things.

Quote:
Adblock does not have a "flash-blocker"; so I can assure you, we're not reinventing the wheel.

Now I am _really_ confused! If you go to this page: http://adblock.mozdev.org/dev.html
you will find the following sentences:
Quote:

The day has arrived: Adblock now blocks EVERYTHING . Along with a bevvy of new features -- most of which will leap out, although some take a while to find -- we're now flying luxury: XPCOM in profile.

There's a small bug in flashblock, but it's only presentational; the next build will be fine. And in fact, it now appears we can directly override plugin menus. ..Hehe, yea! It hasn't landed yet, but keep watching.

I had used the v.4 build, but, after discovering that it did not work when new tabs were opened and that ads were downloaded before being blocked, I discovered that v.5 fixed those issues. I upgraded from .4 to .5 and these two problems were fixed, but FCTV stopped working and Flashblock appeared in the Tools menu right under Adblock. When upgrading to a new version of Firebird, Adblock was the only extension that appeared after the upgrade. It worked normally (except that at some point, the list of blocked URLS became invisible!!!).

I have now uninstalled Adblock and FCTV does indeed work again. I will wait for your reply before attempting to install Adblock again.

Thanks for your help.
rue
Developer

Guest:
It sounds like you haven't really removed the older version. Adblock v.5 no longer has the "flashblock" menuitem.
I often refer to features by codename, and Flashblock was the name for the "Overlay Flash" feature. All it does is put overlays atop any plugin-media; the user can then click the overlay to call-up Adblock's filter dialog.
Directions on how to completely remove older versions are here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the directions on removal of the old version, but found several inconsistencies (I am running Mac OSX). Files listed there do not exist on my machine, for example. So I simply deleted the entire directory (saving certain files) and Firebird and then reinstalled everything new.

I now have Adblock v.5 d2 and I am using FCTV and I am happy to report that everything works correctly now.

Thanks again for your help.
hank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003    Post subject: Anyone know WHICH files to save? OSX ... Reply with quote

if "Guest" is still here or anyone else --

With OSX, when Adblock gets hung up and has to be removed by hand, there are files in the Users/.../Phoenix/Profiles/ and subfolders.

If I trash the whole Profiles folder, that solves the problem "with extreme prejudice" ("we had to destroy the application in order to save it ...")

What can I throw out that will allow Adblock to reinstall?
What can I save?
denke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003    Post subject: No Flash - yes! Reply with quote

It is delightful that Adblock blocks Flash. That little thing makes a big difference to my browsing experience. I'm grateful to you, Adblocker developers!

I've been using Adblock for about three days, and I'm learning how to tune it, but I cannot tell if there's a way to make Overlay Flash on by default. It seems I must type Ctrl+Shift+F each time I come to a new Flashing page. Is this correct?

Btw, I think this works wonderfully well, especially considering that Firebird is only at 0.7 and Adblock at 0.5. I find it works better than IE, which was at 5.5 when I gave up on it. And MS didn't give me this kind of support either. Thanks again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7
Adblock 0.5 d2 22
rue
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from the faq:
Quote:
So why don't I see an Adblock item in the flash-menu?
Because embedded media have unscriptable context-menus. Adblock solves this in two ways:
1.) all objects are "tagged" with a floating, translucent tab to click;
2.) from the tools-menu, you can choose "Overlay Flash": this overlays all objects with a clickable div.
Sometimes, due to cropping or overlaps, a tab is hidden. That's when you'd want to use option.2.

Btw, were you able to successfully deinstall when upgrading?
Some users are reporting issues with this, which is why I ask.
denke

Yes, I read the FAQ carefully and repeatedly, but I still was not sure. I infer that embedded media includes Flash, but I don't know what else. I know what context-menus are, but I don't know what it means for them to be scriptable or unscriptable. In many cases, I do not see any tabs. I don't know what a clickable "div" is. I know nothing of modern programming. I don't usually use beta software, or even 1.0 software, but I had good luck with Firebird and liked it a lot. Its popup blocker and image blocker allowed me to stop using WebWasher, but I was still aggravated by the Flash ads. So I tried Adblock, fondly hoping it would allow me to block them, and I've been delighted by the result. Because of my ignorance, I wondered if there was a way to make Flash blocking automatic, since I rarely encounter Flash that I want to view. I guess there is not. I don't mean to ask questions that have already been answered, and I searched carefully through the forum and all the documentation I could find on the site. I apparently read the answer more than once, but I didn't know it, because I did not understand all that I read.

Regarding the deinstall: I did get an error message saying that C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\[random]\chrome\adblock.jar could not be removed and that I'd have to quit the browser and delete it manually. So I did and then installed the update without further problem. This kind of thing is so common after uninstalling software that I did not perceive the process as unsuccessful.
rue
Developer

denke:
Anything that requires a plugin to function is embedded-media. This includes: Quicktime, RealMedia, WindowsMedia, mp3s, and, naturally, Flash.
"Overlay Flash" is simply to accomodate the filtering of embedded-media. Normally, you can right-click an element, and if it's Adblock-able, you'll see an option to do so. However, Adblock can't alter the plugin's context-menu (ie. unscriptability), so instead it appends a floating-tab which you can click. Sometimes page-croppings or other plugins hide the tab, and that's when you'd activate "Overlay Flash" -- to make the object clickable. And clicking it then activates Adblock.
Oh- and to block all flash, just enter this filter:
.swf

--
(as far as i know, adblock deinstalled completely for previous browser-builds. i'll try and get this working again.)
denke

Thank you. That clarifies things considerably for me.

With this clarification, I now I understand that I had not been seeing tabs on Flashes because I didn't wait long enough. In my eagerness to be rid of the Flashing, I was doing Ctrl+Shift+F before the tab had a chance to appear. Now many things I've read here make more sense to me.

Thanks for the .swf filter information, but Adblock is doing such an increasingly good job for me that I no longer think I'll need to filter all Flash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Adblock Project Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: